March 9-12, 2022 | Winter Storm, "Wagons West"

BuckeyeGal

• Moderators

Last post an hour ago? Sigh.

Well, the 21Z SREF was an improvement across the board with some big jumps to the south and especially the east.

(Snipping and pasting to get my color-coded SREFs back.)

image.png.aa5522c20fb951e8ed2785d6c3f584fe.png

• LIKE 4
  • THANKS 3
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

FWIW, Eric Wilhelm out of Youngstown issued around 7PM tonight.  (It's not a link, just of snip of the snow map.)

image.png

Edited by Hiramite

1 minute ago, BoroBuckeye said:

AL/MS with 6+ per the models is ridiculous!

Lol was just about to say, Alabama may get more snow than I71 corridor. But, with the temps/winds, what snow does fall overnight Friday, and snow showers Saturday, it’ll feel like winter for a day. 

4 minutes ago, Cincysnow said:

Lol was just about to say, Alabama may get more snow than I71 corridor. But, with the temps/winds, what snow does fall overnight Friday, and snow showers Saturday, it’ll feel like winter for a day. 

Higher Moisture potential, & they can get really big snowstorms down there.

2 minutes ago, Cincysnow said:

Uummmm?? Care to explain? 

Alabama is closer to the Gulf of Mexico, which usually brings up more moisture & humidity with the south wind slow, & when there is cold air not blocking the southerly moisture flow collides with a frontal system at the right place, a fierce snowstorm can result, especially Northern sections of the state.

Just now, Iceresistance said:

Alabama is closer to the Gulf of Mexico, which usually brings up more moisture & humidity with the south wind slow, & when there is cold air not blocking the southerly moisture flow collides with a frontal system at the right place, a fierce snowstorm can result, especially Northern sections of the state.

Yes, it is closer to the GOM. More humidity? Yes. However, a “fierce snowstorm”? I think you’re reaching. You also stated, “They can get really big snowstorms down there.” 🤔 define, “really big snowstorm”. 

Just now, Cincysnow said:

Yes, it is closer to the GOM. More humidity? Yes. However, a “fierce snowstorm”? I think you’re reaching. You also stated, “They can get really big snowstorms down there.” 🤔 define, “really big snowstorm”. 

Big, wet snowflakes, I saw some posts from a different forum that there were ones as big as dinner plates.

A "Really big snowstorm" is ones with large snowflakes falling at high rates (1-3 inches per hour)

Here's an example of what those snowflakes usually look like in the south, this was in OKC in January 2019

You can even hear the snowflakes smacking the windshield!

I had one case in the 'Surprise Snowstorm of December 2020', some of those snowflakes were as big as Quarters to Golf Balls!

5 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Big, wet snowflakes, I saw some posts from a different forum that there were ones as big as dinner plates.

A "Really big snowstorm" is ones with large snowflakes falling at high rates (1-3 inches per hour)

Here's an example of what those snowflakes usually look like in the south, this was in OKC in January 2019

You can even hear the snowflakes smacking the windshield!

I had one case in the 'Surprise Snowstorm of December 2020', some of those snowflakes were as big as Quarters to Golf Balls!

But I thought we were discussing Alabama? Not OKC. 
So, big wet snowflakes, high rates, 1-3” per hour. 
Golf balls! 

84FB5A04-F483-42E1-9C4C-80C68F14D057.gif

6 minutes ago, Cincysnow said:

But I thought we were discussing Alabama? Not OKC. 
So, big wet snowflakes, high rates, 1-3” per hour. 
Golf balls! 

84FB5A04-F483-42E1-9C4C-80C68F14D057.gif

Found one from Central Alabama in 2014

Look at how Huge they are!

Edited by Iceresistance
More details
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1