March 12-13, 2022 | Winter Storm - Blue Ridge Blizzard

HVSNOWSTORM

0z gfs op h5 delta last 8 runs AA0926B1-4E95-4BA4-99CF-D10FBCFBC541.png.fd0b4341d0e40415b5d1a02d7dd94282.png

heights lowering out front over the last 8

18z navgem was outside gfs at 18z and 0z gfs adjusted right on top of the 18z nav and looked cold enough for much of PA, see what 0z nav does, it’s been lock and step with gfs last few runs. 

12z gmao was cold enough for most of pa too, sometimes the globals like to follow the gmao, not even sure why yet.  18z and 0z gfs did this. 

Edited by Poco
  • LIKE 1

This isn’t a slow storm, the most one should hope for is a quick blast of snow more like an extended squall than anything around here.  The enhanced omega forcing could cause quite the rates 

• LIKE 3

This is looking like a pretty exciting and fun storm to attract to finish off winter. The Pittsburgh NWS for now is going with 4 inches the city. I think that's good enough at the moment given it's still 3 days out

Edited by Bradjl2009
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

BTV has me at a 90% chance of snow on Saturday.  Here is their forecast discussion:

LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...
As of 310 AM EST Wednesday...The long term starts active as models
continue to show significant cyclogenesis across the mid- atlantic
states Friday night into Saturday morning. Models also show a
rapidly deepening surface low moving northward up the Atlantic coast
and across New England. Trends are shifting as significant dynamical
cooling as the low pressure system matures/intensifies, along with
an eastward moving frontal zone that the low is expected to track
along. Thinking now leans to more of a snow solution with
temperatures in the valleys being just above freezing, but periods
of heavy, wet snow midday on Saturday with early snow rations
looking around 8 to 1 early on. QPF amounts are still ranging from
0.30" to 1.25" across the CWA with models still differing where the
heaviest swath of precipitation will set up.

Heavy snowfall rates could result in difficult travel later
Saturday/Saturday night before snow ends late Saturday night. We
will continue to monitor carefully.

3 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Maybe the later snow rations taste better? 

But more expensive. You need to get in for the early bird special to save a buck or two. 

• LIKE 1

@Poco

looks like our organic EAR signals for today and this upcoming weekend are coming to fruition.  Not bad.  

This weekend system is quite the doozy!!  Although it’s relative progressive and fast, it’s a banger of a system that could yield impressive rates.  Looks like it’s coming during the day all day Saturday too, which is great because I Iove seeing it snow heavily.   Nighttime storms are a waste of good scenery haha 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

@Poco

looks like our organic EAR signals for today and this upcoming weekend are coming to fruition.  Not bad.  

This weekend system is quite the doozy!!  Although it’s relative progressive and fast, it’s a banger of a system that could yield impressive rates.  Looks like it’s coming during the day all day Saturday too, which is great because I Iove seeing it snow heavily.   Nighttime storms are a waste of good scenery haha 

The thermal gradient (very strong CF) and dynamics via a rapidly intensifying low (bombo) will produce some mega thump results - flip the switch quick transition expected from R-S. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The thermal gradient (very strong CF) and dynamics via a rapidly intensifying low (bombo) will produce some mega thump results - flip the switch quick transition expected from R-S. 

NAM makes me shed a tear, of joy, for once this season. 😆 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

1 minute ago, PA road DAWG said:

@Poco

If I refer back to my original post in March thread the 9th was definitely signaled by bsr 

the ear wave that I was looking at for around mid month never came to fruition, that being said there was a large Ull that correlated to near this date, so this long wave was highlighted by ear.

The strong mid month signal currently looks similar to the bsr ~16 but modeling doesn’t have the cold to go with it.  When I look back at the bsr for that date it’s kind of obvious that the mid month wave lacked a connection to the cold, hindsight is 2020 but these are just tools to help guide us in the right direction and interpreting them is not an exact science, more like painting or something lol

if you ask me I think the strat split around the 6 has helped drive this threat as it exhibited sort of a positive feedback loop in the nam region from tropo to strat back to tropo.  

ISO is considered part of organic forecasting so  one would be wise to mix that into forecast when considering our sensible weather and though we might not get a monster to end the season this storm Is very very potent with some mega fronto, should be fun to see some rates. 

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1