March 12-13, 2022 | Winter Storm - Blue Ridge Blizzard

HVSNOWSTORM

4 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

No one updated for the GFS?

trend-gfs-2022031112-f048.snku_acc.us_ne.thumb.gif.593408bf36b36f2faf3a1bdac0812240.gif

Starting to look a little juicier overall. Think qpf is being underdone with the temperature gradient this will be riding?

Actually maybe it is because it has colder air causing better ratios, overall qpf doesn't seem too different run to run.

Edited by GSWarriorbball11
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

Good point GSW - always look at the qpf to see what's driving it.

trend-gfs-2022031112-f036.qpf_024h.us_ne.gif.577ade25c64c8ba80227e91cf9366160.gif

Can also look at Kuchera (for a point in time) to see if the ratios are increasing further east (they are)

trend-gfs-2022031112-f030.ratioku.us_ne.gif.534020f8cbea572e9260a18a6e27cd56.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Well, yesterday 4-7" thoughts here still holding up, for now. Although, I would hedge on the lower end if the east trends are legit.

Might not be our biggest storm of the season after all lol Gotta beat 5.5", looking sketchy.

• LIKE 1

My apologies if this has been posted already.  Winter Storm Warning issued for what may be the entire BTV NWS coverage area.

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Burlington VT
325 AM EST Fri Mar 11 2022

VTZ001>009-011-016>019-112200-
/O.UPG.KBTV.WS.A.0005.220312T0000Z-220313T0600Z/
/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W.0006.220312T0300Z-220313T0600Z/
Grand Isle-Western Franklin-Orleans-Essex-Western Chittenden-
Lamoille-Caledonia-Washington-Western Addison-Western Rutland-
Eastern Franklin-Eastern Chittenden-Eastern Addison-
Eastern Rutland-
Including the cities of Alburgh, South Hero, St. Albans, Newport,
Island Pond, Burlington, Johnson, Stowe, St. Johnsbury,
Montpelier, Middlebury, Vergennes, Rutland, Enosburg Falls,
Richford, Underhill, Bristol, Ripton, East Wallingford,
and Killington
325 AM EST Fri Mar 11 2022

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM
EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 13
  inches. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph, mainly Saturday
  afternoon and night.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northeast, northwest and southern
  Vermont.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 1 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Areas
  of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Light snow, possibly mixed with rain within
  the Champlain Valley, will begin overspread the region tonight.
  All precipitation will transition to snow by sunrise on
  Saturday. Periods of heavy snow will be possible late Saturday
  morning through Saturday afternoon where snowfall rates in
  excess of 1 inch per hour will be possible. Snow will taper off
  Saturday evening and come to an end Sunday morning. Gusty
  northwest winds between 25 and 40 mph will develop Saturday
  afternoon and continue into the overnight hours. Blowing snow
  may develop and significantly reduce visibility across the
  region.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Please allow extra time if travel is necessary.

• LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

Well, yesterday 4-7" thoughts here still holding up, for now. Although, I would hedge on the lower end if the east trends are legit.

Might not be our biggest storm of the season after all lol Gotta beat 5.5", looking sketchy.

Yea there was always that chance it would slide just enough east. We will see I wanna check 18z and 00z for consistency at this point. Think we are a bit too far east on some of the 12z runs. This may be close for us seeing our biggest snows of the season. Not hard to be 4" lol

• LAUGH 1

The 3K NAM has the pressure dropping to 928.  I don't think it comes anywhere close to this but does this mean the latter part of the run is probably way off since the pressure output has greater than a 99% chance of not being correct?  Or am I misreading the number?

image.thumb.png.a94e6af8542b7061cc1e3775ac6c92ac.png

• Admin
Just now, PA road DAWG said:

Haha. I’m sorry bro. Been a brutal winter up here in NEPA.  We’re long overdue 

I feel you, though I don't think anyone's ever called me bro. LOL. Glad someone who needs it is getting it. 🙂

• LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist
40 minutes ago, TheRex said:

The 3K NAM has the pressure dropping to 928.  I don't think it comes anywhere close to this but does this mean the latter part of the run is probably way off since the pressure output has greater than a 99% chance of not being correct?  Or am I misreading the number?

I would say it is off a little but it also only does 60 hours which is the super long range for it. Anything past 30 hours is out there for it so take it with a grain of salt same thing as looking at the 06/12/18/00z of the HRRR it goes to 48 but past 18 to 24 it gets rough. 

Signs of a very dynamic storm so watch that 850/925 to potentially crash in locations going from 992mb storm in NC to 964mb east of Maine in 12  hours via 12z Nam. That is some drop! The 12z GFS has it going about the same rate and sub 940mb off Newfoundland Labrador into the Labrador sea going potentially 927ish area? So in a span of 30 ish hours (12z Saturday to 18z Sunday when it closes off) it drops about 57mb via the GFS.

Might have some thundersnow situations if these bands really get going near that boundary. I would watch NE PA and NW NJ with the terrain. As well as Western Mass Southern VT and NH region. This may be quite the thump coming.

Posted the crude GFS 250mb jet progression and the more detail style of the Nam 250mb to show the jet coupling going on and getting better positioned. We down here get positioned just in the right spot to skip the potential dry slotting and jet enhancement as the storm rapidly deepens going into SNE. This is going to be a great satellite presentation!

gfs_uv250_neus_fh18-30.gif

namconus_uv250_neus_fh27_trend.gif

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 3
  • THANKS 3

• Meteorologist
16 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

I would say it is off a little but it also only does 60 hours which is the super long range for it. Anything past 30 hours is out there for it so take it with a grain of salt same thing as looking at the 06/12/18/00z of the HRRR it goes to 48 but past 18 to 24 it gets rough. 

Signs of a very dynamic storm so watch that 850/925 to potentially crash in locations going from 992mb storm in NC to 964mb east of Maine in 12  hours via 12z Nam. That is some drop! The 12z GFS has it going about the same rate and sub 940mb off Newfoundland Labrador into the Labrador sea going potentially 927ish area? So in a span of 30 ish hours (12z Saturday to 18z Sunday when it closes off) it drops about 57mb via the GFS.

Might have some thundersnow situations if these bands really get going near that boundary. I would watch NE PA and NW NJ with the terrain. As well as Western Mass Southern VT and NH region. This may be quite the thump coming.

Posted the crude GFS 250mb jet progression and the more detail style of the Nam 250mb to show the jet coupling going on and getting better positioned. We down here get positioned just in the right spot to skip the potential dry slotting and jet enhancement as the storm rapidly deepens going into SNE. This is going to be a great satellite presentation!

gfs_uv250_neus_fh18-30.gif

namconus_uv250_neus_fh27_trend.gif

To add on to this here is the Surface reflection at hr 27 on the Nam. You can see how the low wind speeds correlate to some of the heaviest precip. Air at this point in the upper levels is being rapidly removed and there is only one place the air can be taken from the lower levels this is the area of greatest lift. The thump area if you will. Wish I could get a skew T at hr 27 this would be the area of high omega and if the DGZ is correlated within that region usually anywhere from 700-400mb range it is thumping. I had posted the 6z 3km Nam earlier with the skew T.

The problem with the more mesoscale models like 3km Nam and HRRR and HRDPS will be they tend to get really really convective in these situations and throw random hot spots that get focused on. That is what makes the 12km Nam fairly useful sometimes little bit of best of both worlds.

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_27.png

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

7 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

NWS Pittsburgh updated totals. A small bump up from what they had earlier.

308247632_StormTotalSnow(1).thumb.jpg.ca375064662674df9de9bdbc79aab1f5.jpg

PM update from CTP keeps me hopeful of 6+... we shall see! Love the yellow orange maps. It's been a garbage winter of light blue and medium blue. 😆 

StormTotalSnow.jpg

• LIKE 4

Hey there "SWH" - any insight as to why CTP has not updated their .gov main page? If you go there it's still information from 11 a.m. - have to go to Winter Product Page to see the text for the Warnings. 

Just curious

image.png.d0271882a2a9b1d33e4fea114b2a6ba9.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Uh oh Clapper - SREF let down alert - down again pretty much across the board in PA (only by an inch or so but...) image.thumb.png.65f67bdfa401ff42788d5318f52f7f78.png

Was just coming on to report a decent drop in qpf on 15z....

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 2.26.28 PM.png

• DISAPPOINTED 1