March 12-13, 2022 | Winter Storm - Blue Ridge Blizzard

HVSNOWSTORM

I know some are and aren't getting excited about how far east the NAM is, I will say, it is by the furthest east, and likely by a little too much. I think blending the NAM and other models is a safe bet for now...

Edited by GSWarriorbball11
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

Just now, GSWarriorbball11 said:

I know some are and aren't getting excited about how far east the NAM is, I will say, it is by the further east, and likely by a little too much. I think blending the NAM and other models is a safe bet for now...

The HRRR agrees. And given how dynamic this system is I wouldnt rule out the hi res models being correct, not to mention everything has trended east model wide.

This is the hrrr

hrrr-nystate-total_snow_10to1-7140400.thumb.png.df17a21b57dcc42c7161ed02f8deb3f8.png

3 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

The HRRR agrees. And given how dynamic this system is I wouldnt rule out the hi res models being correct, not to mention everything has trended east model wide.

This is the hrrr

hrrr-nystate-total_snow_10to1-7140400.thumb.png.df17a21b57dcc42c7161ed02f8deb3f8.png

It is def a possibility but I think it has the heaviest snow axis is too far SE. I think the FV3 for 12z looks like a good middle ground between the models.

image.thumb.png.b05e6830750f387bd813e7b7bac43d1f.png

Edited by GSWarriorbball11

4 minutes ago, GSWarriorbball11 said:

It is def a possibility but I think it has the heaviest snow axis is too far SE. I think the FV3 for 12z looks like a good middle ground between the models.

That's pretty much just as far east for the eastern edge. Basically Same as NAM and hrrr for eastern areas.

Edited by HVSNOWSTORM

2 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

That's pretty much just as far east for the eastern edge. Basically Same as NAM and hrrr for eastern areas.

In PA the FV3 keeps the heavier snow from the Lehigh Valley through the Poconos, vs the HRRR and NAM have it from Philly to just south of the Lehigh Valley.

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, GSWarriorbball11 said:

In PA the FV3 keeps the heavier snow from the Lehigh Valley through the Poconos, vs the HRRR and NAM have it from Philly to just south of the Lehigh Valley.

Low placement is key as well as just how much the front is able to push east to set up for this low pressure to follow along. FV3 has the low pressure over SNJ where as the NAM has this offshore by about 50miles. Hence why we see the difference. FV3 has been trending east as well so it might not be out of the realm of possibilities to look like the NAM. Still think it is too much of a wiggle but we will see.

Watch how the other 12z members do coming up.

If I had to hedge my bets I would say a 12z FV3 look seems to be reasonable given ridging to the east being stronger usually then models have ( have seen it with several systems this year) this plays on the idea the front is slower to progress east which has been a thing most of this winter.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

3k 12z NAM 

floop-nam4km-2022031112.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

The 3km NAM has been spitting out some wonky surface pressure fields. Have to wonder if it's some convective feedback issues.  I've noticed a few runs seen to have a feature in the low levels race out in front and pull some cold in ahead of the main system, likely erroneously.

Just now, MaineJay said:

The 3km NAM has been spitting out some wonky surface pressure fields. Have to wonder if it's some convective feedback issues.  I've noticed a few runs seen to have a feature in the low levels race out in front and pull some cold in ahead of the main system, likely erroneously.

I thought that too but I rather post and let others comment. ❄️

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, MaineJay said:

This would be wonderful to see if the FV3 can correct this issue. Would be a nice thing for the new model coming out to predict these meso situations better!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

6 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Low placement is key as well as just how much the front is able to push east to set up for this low pressure to follow along. FV3 has the low pressure over SNJ where as the NAM has this offshore by about 50miles. Hence why we see the difference. FV3 has been trending east as well so it might not be out of the realm of possibilities to look like the NAM. Still think it is too much of a wiggle but we will see.

Watch how the other 12z members do coming up.

If I had to hedge my bets I would say a 12z FV3 look seems to be reasonable given ridging to the east being stronger usually then models have ( have seen it with several systems this year) this plays on the idea the front is slower to progress east which has been a thing most of this winter.

Love the new GEFS metrics on pivotal vs having to go to college of Dupage site.

28 minutes ago, GSWarriorbball11 said:

Ok maybe so for PA, I was looking more so for NY, CT area

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

12z GFS filling in the areas of eastern PA more and shaving a little off the western edge but is about the same. Still a sharp cutoff right around 95 it seems for Philly and NYC area. So looks like we may have a track that is similar enough to a FV3 situation where it crosses southern NJ.

Northern VA and MD (west of 95) are going to be a tough call as too how quickly that can changeover to accumulate enough.

• LIKE 1