March 12-13, 2022 | Winter Storm - Blue Ridge Blizzard

HVSNOWSTORM

15 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

nws.JPG

Honestly wasn't expecting that after I saw what the Euro showed. The 12KM nam isn't too far off from the GFS for Allegheny County though. 6 to 8 is possible if things go right, but I won't be surprised if we only get three to five either.

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

NAM closer to what I actually expect for my region. 4-5" = no way. More like 1-2 sounds right for what Poco is calling a "glorified squall" situation (not his exact words, but close)

I've been thinking (and telling anyone that asks) 4-7" here. (Internally, I think upper end of that range, but I ain't trying to hype up friends or coworkers lol)

• LIKE 1

18z NAM wants to gives us another storm with a cpl inches of sleet. This is definitely gonna be hard for models to nail down the border areas like IMBY, when the cold pushes east, how quickly the entire colum cools etc. I don't know if the sleet idea is realistic or not, but 18z NAM wants to make this primarily a sleet storm with a dusting of snow on top.

IMBY... 12Z NAM=10", 18Z NAM=Dusting

11 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

I've been thinking (and telling anyone that asks) 4-7" here. (Internally, I think upper end of that range, but I ain't trying to hype up friends or coworkers lol)

This seems a little more realistic lol. I'm wondering if the 12Z runs are as far east as the models will bring this storm.

1465447070_snku_acc.us_ne(1)(18).thumb.png.6a3b364ebc0ec4414c7291bee05bdc8c.png

• THUMBS UP 1

Long range 18z HRRR looks great for everyone from @JDClapper to IMBY and even SEPA, WCT, and more would probably get snow since thia only goes to 48 hr and it's still going past this gif. This would be ideal where it basically only gives SENY some light showers/ sprinkles before going over to snow.

GIF ends at 1pm Saturday and like I said still going from EPA on east.

Snow through hr 48 also below:

hrrr-nystate-instant_ptype-1646935200-1647007200-1647108000-40.thumb.gif.0b6eacce44bf80a2a3a8b643d7e7cb8b.gif

hrrr-nystate-total_snow_kuchera-7108000.thumb.png.f81b65636d4531eb52af59ca714f7649.png

• LIKE 2

The 3k NAM is better than the 12k NAM for eastern areas. Like the HRRR, it shows only an hour or 2 of light showers before changing over, however, it changes to a long period of sleet IMBY, just like the 12k NAM. The HRRR and the other models, outside of the NAM family, don't have this sleet issue. Does anyone with better knowledge than me, think this sleet is a likely scenario based on how this system is coming in with cold air rushing in from the west??