March 12-13, 2022 | Winter Storm - Blue Ridge Blizzard

HVSNOWSTORM

Heck, at the rate we're going I may actually get some snow out of this at my house. I was going to head up to my cabin in Mifflin County tomorrow night so I could see accumulating snow one more time. It would be much more convenient if I could stay home for it!

• Moderators

Using 10:1 for trend purposes only.  Haven't really thought about ratios on this yet.

Ukie shifted SE

trend-ukmet-2022031012-f066.sn10_024h.us_ne.gif.669c4aeaa88b76e36cd2b0442533c3d6.gif

NAM is SE too but flatter as well - interesting.

trend-nam-2022031012-f066.sn10_024h.us_ne.gif.9a9d02783a25c9949cf6bc8fb7153c1b.gif

Canadian is SE

trend-gdps-2022031012-f066.sn10_024h.us_ne.gif.521514f06286975cf33ed1f1e51176ce.gif

RGEM is slightly SE

trend-rdps-2022031012-f066.sn10_024h.us_ne.gif.4f41ad21167cf01fbb87623c4be0fce9.gif

GFS looked like it was going SE then the 12z run said, nope!  I want to be the outlier.

trend-gfs-2022031012-f066.sn10_024h.us_ne.gif.3acc71b87c163efb40f3c891ada7ba1e.gif

• THANKS 1

1 hour ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Beautiful 12Z Nam with an Eastern shift:nam-218-all-nystate-total_snow_kuchera-7194400.thumb.png.257132e2f1329bdaf4afc2d510c62d28.png

I don't want to be a killjoy with the NAM but I've seen the NAM do this several times where it has the storm further east but then the storm hits further to the west.  It has been good for me but no so much for the people in southern VT or northern MA.

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I don't want to be a killjoy with the NAM but I've seen the NAM do this several times where it has the storm further east but then the storm hits further to the west.  It has been good for me but no so much for the people in southern VT or northern MA.

Yeah....that's happened a few times this year and speaks to this point from the Braatencast analysis from FB:

5) Southern convection leads to more latent heat release than models expect, which pumps heights ahead of the system and it becomes stronger and tracks further west. A final 24-hour near term westward trend occurs as models begin to resolve the amount of convection forming in the southeast US. The meso-scale models might be better realizing (or not realizing) the convective factor.

Meanwhile UKie shows the opposite, pointed out by this remark in the same analysis and the fact this is a positively tilted trough:

4) The whole thing ends up weaker than expect and more progressive. Without a closed low, the moisture doesn't get advected back west as much as current models show. A more general moderate snowfall takes place, maybe with a more narrow band of heavier snow in NH/ME. It could also just be weak and progressive enough that no one really sees 12+ potential.

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 3

15 minutes ago, TheRex said:

Yep. It literally just did this for yesterday's event 2 days out lol.

11 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Yeah....that's happened a few times this year and speaks to this point from the Braatencast analysis from FB:

5) Southern convection leads to more latent heat release than models expect, which pumps heights ahead of the system and it becomes stronger and tracks further west. A final 24-hour near term westward trend occurs as models begin to resolve the amount of convection forming in the southeast US. The meso-scale models might be better realizing (or not realizing) the convective factor.

Meanwhile UKie shows the opposite, pointed out by this remark in the same analysis and the fact this is a positively tilted trough:

4) The whole thing ends up weaker than expect and more progressive. Without a closed low, the moisture doesn't get advected back west as much as current models show. A more general moderate snowfall takes place, maybe with a more narrow band of heavier snow in NH/ME. It could also just be weak and progressive enough that no one really sees 12+ potential.

Sounds like the "Jax" rule! Haha

Without hard data, can't prove it, but yeah, I feel like there always been more west/north surprises last minute than south/east. 

• THUMBS UP 3
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

Without hard data, can't prove it, but yeah, I feel like there always been more west/north surprises last minute than south/east. 

I feel east trends can happen here and there with Miller A storms (which this isn't), but otherwise big storms generally come north and west, and this is going to be decently sized. 

• THUMBS UP 1

27 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

😉 

Without applying the "name" it does apply - and why I decided to initiate/mention it earlier. 

PGA is playing at TPC Sawgrass which is just above St Aug. in Florida (Just N of JAX) - they are in rain delay with some thunder even now and are wondering if they will get much in tomorrow due to the anticipated additional convection. 

47 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

The Professor has taken quite a beating this season - rumors are he's been hitting the sauce before work. Got a report of him falling badly in the parking lot several times in storm lead up

• LAUGH 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The Professor has taken quite a beating this season - rumors are he's been hitting the sauce before work. Got a report of him falling badly in the parking lot several times in storm lead up

I think even MDBR gave up on him...bounced him out of his bar. Been a rough year for many in the high-profile model world.

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, TheRex said:

It's not just the NAM in the East camp ... it's now NAM, EURO, CANADIAN, UKMET, SREF, basically all vs the GFS.

6 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

CTP 10am update. Would imagine e the general moving east with heavier totals to continue on their PM update.

StormTotalSnow.jpg

SnowAmt90Prcntl.jpg

I imagine they'll expand the watches, but the more east it goes, the weaker it gets, so this could end up more like a widespread 3 to 6 inch event

Edited by Bradjl2009