Buggers

Undertakerson2.0

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just a few of the many moths so far this season.  Things have been slow recently, but should ramp up quickly once the warmth moves in.  The variety is astounding.

IMG_1694.jpeg

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just a few more moths, plus one Carrion Beetle with a back full of non-parasitic mites!

IMG_1899.jpeg

Edited by Hiramite
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, jbrumberg said:

@Hiramite-  Wow!!! Thanks for sharing.  I am not really seeing that much insect action yet.  Hopefully soon. 

No problem.  These are all nighttime photos with taken while my “moth lights” were on.  Turn on your porch lights (whiter light the better, black light the best) and see who visits!!

• THANKS 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, jbrumberg said:

@Hiramite-  Right now I am focusing on birds.  Thanks to hearing aids and the Merlin app I am focusing on bird captures, but I am thinking about moth "captures."

If you delve into the captures of moths, I use my phone, primarily for the ease of using the ID apps.  The cameras of newer phones are pretty good, especially those “pro” models with the 3 lens that enable macro pics. Macro shots are only needed on the small moths to see the detail. Thus I use the phone camera for the decent size moths (about 90% of the time).  Since I don’t have a phone with macro capability, I bought a clip on macro lens for about $40 and I must say I’m impressed by the results.  The below a pic of a moth that is no bigger than a grain of rice…not too bad for a phone.

IMG_1665.jpeg

• WOW 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

Here’s a couple of colorful moths from last night.

The first is a Riding’s Fairy Moth (just under a 1/2” in length).  The second is an Orange Barred Carpet Moth.

(Both taken with my cell phone and clip on macro lens.)

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Haven't seen a lot of moths. The dragonflies have been darting around the yard lately.  I did see this moth yesterday.

PXL_20230612_130706108.thumb.jpg.a29911984109f00e5381bd3ba1afbb3b.jpg

That’s a beauty!  A Northern Apple or Poecila Sphinx.

(I didn’t recognize it. I come to find out no reported sightings in OH. Mostly NE.)

iNaturalist is one of the ID apps I use.  Here is the info page on it.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/231396-Sphinx-poecila?locale=en-US

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 5:51 PM, Hiramite said:

No problem.  These are all nighttime photos with taken while my “moth lights” were on.  Turn on your porch lights (whiter light the better, black light the best) and see who visits!!

Also do one of two options.

1. Put in a light switch on the outside to turn on/off your porch light

2. Turn the bulb in your porch light so that the light goes out when you go in

Doing one of these will help prevent the moths from getting inside when you open the door.  Cats love to chase moths and will run around like a nut after them.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...