March 5-19, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak/Severe Weather Pattern That Won't Quit

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist
10 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It sure looks like the sort of thing that gets a tornado warning. Maybe NWS meteorologists knew some information that I don't.

Might be enough low-level stability for them to sit on it... or maybe they just missed it because of the big picture/how brief that circulation was. I always give them the benefit of the doubt in cases like this. I'm just sitting here focused on one area.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

0z SHV sounding was erroneous (see all the -9999s and the ridiculous SRH numbers) but there certainly was weak low-level instability. A tornado would've been possible at the time but it depends what happened to the dew point and temp in the hours after this.

image.thumb.png.b312297bd750775e61652069f7410480.png

• The title was changed to March 5-17, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak/Severe Weather Pattern That Won't Quit

Friday may have some potential here in the OV🌩️

"Some severe potential may also evolve over the Ohio Valley nearer the surface low, as colder air aloft associated with the upper trough supports low-topped afternoon destabilization, but at this time this risk appears insufficient to support areal inclusion."

SPC

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

When will this stop? There's now severe weather expected (Slight Risk or better) Through March 19th!

Can this be "March 2022 Severe Weather Sequence"?

I have a bad feeling for this spring

Luckily early season activity doesn't mean the whole season will be active. 2021 was a prime example

Edited by OKwx_2001
  • LIKE 1

1 minute ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Luckily early season activity doesn't mean the whole season will be active. 2021 was a prime example

What happened in 2021 was the the favorable phases for severe weather fell apart, I don't think this might be the case this year, every year is different.

• LIKE 1

38 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

What happened in 2021 was the the favorable phases for severe weather fell apart, I don't think this might be the case this year, every year is different.

Oh yeah for sure I'm just saying an active March doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the season will be active. 

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

1 hour ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Oh yeah for sure I'm just saying an active March doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the season will be active. 

This cool season has definitely had a tendency for strong western troughs… and unlike previous recent Ninas, this Niña is still going strong and even now orienting in a fashion that favors +TNI which favors above average tornado activity. So, for now, I don’t see a reason why the pattern will change aside from the MJO moving into unfavorable phases.

I think it’s possible that the way the La Niña is evoking, the southern plains runs the risk of getting stuck under a southern ridge while the Midwest/OV benefits. But until then, if the western trough tendency continues, the plains should get some tornado alley worthy events. But if the southern ridge just stays in the southeast, then the plains/Midwest/Ohio valley will get the worst of the season. Also Dixie alley will light up until the SE ridge dominates in May.