March 5-19, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak/Severe Weather Pattern That Won't Quit

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

FWIW... HRRR has been trending toward more discrete storm mode for the enhanced risk. Due to 0z/6z/12z/18z runs going out 48 hours, these aren't successive runs. Trend is still important though.

trend-hrrr-2022031117-f013.refcmp.us_se.gif

trend-hrrr-2022031117-f013.sfctd_b.us_se.gif

Storm mode eventually gets more iffy but still looks like there could be something there.

Kinda reminds me of the January 2017 high risk day where the most favorable parameters were located in the high risk but didn't do much because of unfavorable storm mode, meanwhile the strongest tornado of the day occurred outside the high risk despite having less favorable parameters but more favorable storm mode. 

I don't think that will be the case tonight because there's only weak instability in S GA where storm mode appears slightly more favorable. But it's a good lesson.

image.thumb.png.38db1661adfbdad57e5ae81bb8922c85.png

image.thumb.png.672e77977df17bbbafc9673e60772238.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
26 minutes ago, NebraskaEgg said:

How serious of an event are we looking at tonight? Especially since it's an overnighter.

For Florida it really just depends if supercells stay discrete enough. There's certainly potential for strong tornadoes if they do. Shear is gonna be pretty extreme. Of course, with timing being in the early morning hours (3-7am), it may be a very dangerous night.

image.thumb.png.5127470ab58226f3a6bb9b11c6300055.png

The squall portion from AL to the Carolinas could have plenty of embedded tornadoes if the low-levels aren't too stable. 

image.thumb.png.e320cd6453fe41d16b670838b3747dc0.png

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Brief window of opportunity for a semi-discrete tornadic supercell but HRRR continues to show messy storm mode. On the other hand, it's showing some breaks in the squall in Georgia moving into SC. Sounding shows just enough low-level instability for at least some tornado threat.

More favorable storm mode, stronger shear, but instability is on the low-end for strong tornadoes. So the enhanced risk has greater potential, but I think the squall is more of a lock for damaging winds/tornadoes. 

image.thumb.png.4d0ce8e52756bc53bf74abed0769dff8.png

image.thumb.png.b8234b64e32d8ed2ac7ae752d7c1ae9a.png

• The title was changed to March 5-15, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak (Sequence?)
  • Meteorologist

SPC really hasn't changed their 10% tornado placement since 1pm yesterday. Impressive consistency especially given that multiple shifts have worked since then. Talk about being on the same page.

image.png.10062112e05cf214f9bd9a656befc12d.png

• Meteorologist

image.png.4bbbca4a860f3d87081fff67d8eab2e4.png

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent SUMMARY...Severe weather risk -- including potential for a couple of tornadoes -- will gradually increase the remainder of this evening and overnight. A tornado watch will likely be needed. DISCUSSION...Latest water vapor loop shows a strong short-wave trough approaching the lower Mississippi Valley region at this time, and will reach the central Gulf Coast states and Tennessee Valley overnight. As this occurs, a surface cold front will continue advancing eastward, while a cold air dam persisting across the Carolinas and into Georgia/eastern Alabama gradually erodes with time from southwest to northeast. As the low-level dam/stable layer is gradually replaced by higher theta-e air as low-level theta-e advection increases in tandem with the advance of the upper system, a more favorable thermodynamic environment -- in terms of sustaining deep/moist convection -- will slowly evolve. Initially, this increase in low-level theta-e -- and thus mixed-layer CAPE -- will occur from southern Alabama and the Florida Panhandle into southwestern Georgia. As this occurs, in tandem with a corresponding increase in low-level flow, risk for organized/rotating storms will likewise increase. At this time, it appears that a combination of storms developing near the front, along with additional warm-sector cells spreading northeastward/onshore from the Gulf, will eventually contribute to the increase in severe risk. Along with potential for a few instances of marginally severe hail, locally damaging wind gusts will be possible, as will a couple of tornadoes. As such, new Tornado Watch issuance is expected to be required in the next 1 to 2 hours.

• Meteorologist

Clearly several supercells over the Gulf that are destined to come on shore eventually. Probably got a few hours... maybe less since storm motion should speed up with the approach of the actual system. (edit: not sure why I added actual in there)

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-southeast-09-03_26Z-20220312_map-glm_flash_-24-1n-5-100.thumb.gif.8f3bfb4f6655b6754c2f3fc43a44c7cd.gif

• Meteorologist

Cell in SW AL is very slowly strengthening and possibly trying to create a mesocyclone.

Notice in the first image there's a velocity 'shearline'... basically like there's a wall between the reds and greens. Can be compared to like a stationary front (at least in my mind)... it's the beginning stage of cyclogenesis. Similarly, I've seen this kind of signature be the precursor to a mesocyclone many times before. Granted, those times had much more favorable conditions for supercell development... so this might be a failed attempt.

031122-1.thumb.PNG.7d02cfe034853f0156ea16a2c63102a0.PNG

031122-2.thumb.PNG.1573cea9f12605005bed74c9e76cf19a.PNG

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
12 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Cell in SW AL is very slowly strengthening and possibly trying to create a mesocyclone.

Notice in the first image there's a velocity 'shearline'... basically like there's a wall between the reds and greens. Can be compared to like a stationary front (at least in my mind)... it's the beginning stage of cyclogenesis. Similarly, I've seen this kind of signature be the precursor to a mesocyclone many times before. Granted, those times had much more favorable conditions for supercell development... so this might be a failed attempt.

031122-1.thumb.PNG.7d02cfe034853f0156ea16a2c63102a0.PNG

031122-2.thumb.PNG.1573cea9f12605005bed74c9e76cf19a.PNG

Looks like this will not be one of those cases. Appears to be outflow dominant.

• Meteorologist
On 3/10/2022 at 9:19 PM, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Based on 0z HRRR, storm mode in the current enhanced risk is messy. Big boom/bust potential. Shear is exceptional though, and a low-topped severe squall seems likely through S AL, GA, and the Carolinas. Could be an impressive swath of damaging wind reports. 

The messy storm mode in the area of the enhanced risk, ie north Florida, organizes a bit into either a squall with embedded supercells or a broken line of supercells. If I were to make an outlook based on this run alone, I’d have a slight risk for damaging winds from S AL through central GA… maybe enhanced. Slight risk for tornadoes where the current enhanced risk is, and an enhanced risk for tornadoes and damaging winds in the northern part of the Florida peninsula 

Then again, this is just one run and I’m not near the caliber of SPC

Most of the enhanced risk is getting a stream of stratiform rain so thats looking sketchy. The southeast portion of the enhanced risk looks the best right now.

The squall is still below severe limits. All the convection/lift going on along the coast might be holding the squall down.

0D3B26EE-5469-4E23-8586-6F5C07FE3969.gif

• Meteorologist

At least SPC got some damaging wind reports in their enhanced risk. I was sold on the slight risk for the squall and there really wasn't anything until it got to the Carolinas. 

I think all the moisture involved and ascent with the storms in Florida took the potential away from the squall. I felt that was a possibility, but obviously I felt more strongly that it wouldn't matter. Always learning.

image.png.2c65513f5aee713228004f61b3337a4b.png

image.png

• The title was changed to March 5-15, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak/Severe Weather Pattern That Won't Quit
14 hours ago, NebraskaEgg said:

I'm just saying that's a very nice looking circle

Here's one frame from the FV3 model, you know, the CAM for those who like thunderstorms. There's a hammerhead shark shape storm near Dallas, 54 hours. Note 54 hours is not usually that accurate!

fv3-hi_2022-03-13-00Z_054_35.786_261.281_30.274_267.761_Simulated_Reflectivity_Reflectivity_Winds_10m_highways.png

• WOW 1