Hiramite

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This Golden-crowned Kinglet hit the window this morning.  Seemed to be ok, just shaken like 007’s martini.

Other than the hummingbird, they might be the smallest bird in NA.  A migrant that spends its winters in the US, yearlong resident in the Apps and NE.

3BF52562-E1A9-4C1A-A7D7-8206DF8040AB.jpeg

• LIKE 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 10/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, Hiramite said:

Interesting, never realized they are more of a "southern" species.  Very common around here.

And it appears that Red-headed Woodpeckers are south of you as well.  Reason I mention it is because some novices call the Red-bellied a Red-headed due to the large red patch on the male R-Bs.   Here's a real Red-Headed...they like open area with trees  (e.g. golf courses.)

image.png.a231404c22ef968698aab1ca67f38d20.png

https://wgme.com/news/local/unique-woodpeckers-finding-new-homes-backyards-maine-red-bellied-woodpecker-audubon-bob-duchesne-birdfeeder

Apparently, they were only first seen in the 1950s here.  Have seen, and heard, numerous pileated woodpeckers too lately.

• LIKE 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Didn't get a picture, but saw a large Red tail hawk the other day.  I see lots of hawks, especially in my yard, but rarely see the red tails.

Interesting.  Exceedingly common (commonest?) around here.  Red-tail range map pasted below.

Next most common around the house are the Red-shouldered Hawks with their striped tail feathers flying through the woods.

image.png.7c042f2cd7627fbacea37533be47463d.png

• LIKE 2

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Interesting.  Exceedingly common (commonest?) around here.  Red-tail range map pasted below.

Next most common around the house are the Red-shouldered Hawks with their striped tail feathers flying through the woods.

image.png.7c042f2cd7627fbacea37533be47463d.png

Broad wing are the most common around my house, but haven't seen/heard many lately. I often see hawks on power lines and branches along the roads while driving, but can't identify them. I don't think they are red tails, because they are generally fairly small.

I used to see the red tails all the time decades ago, it had been a while, and I can't remember the last time I knew I saw one.

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Broad wing are the most common around my house, but haven't seen/heard many lately. I often see hawks on power lines and branches along the roads while driving, but can't identify them. I don't think they are red tails, because they are generally fairly small.

I used to see the red tails all the time decades ago, it had been a while, and I can't remember the last time I knew I saw one.

I’m not that well-versed on the raptors.  Never really tried too hard to learn them all.

I did get a close-up naked eye view of a Barred-owl the other day. Second time recently I flushed it out of the “pine” trees along our property boundary.  

• LIKE 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
18 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

You gonna take the hour drive to see it?

If it's still around in a couple weeks, I might.  I'd have to bring the kids, so it's highly weather dependant.  I'll see if my old man wants to make a drive, last time it was here, it hung out in his buddy's backyard, and that's the town it's in now.

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
Just now, MaineJay said:

If it's still around in a couple weeks, I might.  I'd have to bring the kids, so it's highly weather dependant.  I'll see if my old man wants to make a drive, last time it was here, it hung out in his buddy's backyard.

Good luck if you go.  Don't forget your camera and charge the battery! 😆

• THUMBS UP 2

• Admin
On 2/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, Hiramite said:

Good luck if you go.  Don't forget your camera and charge the battery! 😆

So true.  I have 2 cameras now, no excuses.

Got my dad's friends in Georgetown ready to alert us if, and hopefully when, it shows up.

• LIKE 3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I walked into Lowes today, and it sounded like an aviary, is that the case everywhere?

You mean lots of vocal wild birds in the building? I’ve seen birds before in some of the big boxes, not recently though.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

You mean lots of vocal wild birds in the building? I’ve seen birds before in some of the big boxes, not recently though.

Yes, they are always in the Lowes, sometimes at Home Depot.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Yes, they are always in the Lowes, sometimes at Home Depot.

I thought I remembered something about this….

https://www.birdnote.org/listen/shows/house-sparrows-can-open-doors#:~:text=© Matthijs Dubbeldam CC House Sparrows are ingenious,fly into restaurants%2C supermarkets%2C and home supply stores.

It is a pretty nice habitat somewhat free of predators, pleasant weather and bags of bird and grass seed.

• LIKE 2

• Moderators

Posted in the daily discussion page, but realized I should be posting this to this thread too: "In spring related news I recorded my red-wing blackbird on March 10th and first robin of the season March 16th here. Oddly haven't heard a bluebird in a while....wondering if they cleared out of the area for this 'winter.'"

@MaineJay as Hiramite kinda indicates, they'll generally be found with ones with good-sized garden centers. The HD around here without one doesn't have sparrows, but the one that does has a sizable population...and they seemingly are only found on the garden center side of the building...at least in my observations.

• LIKE 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have +1.5 years worth of bird pictures that I could share, but I'll save everyone from that agony; but I recently had a decent photoshoot with a very cooperative Barred Owl near our driveway.  The pictures were taken from my truck:

329917240_723956332549789_1382058021148216736_n.jpg

333578717_1379054079615682_6879274186302068059_n.jpg

Edited by jbrumberg
  • LIKE 3