Critters

Hiramite

5 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Interestingly, I didn't see my first wild turkey until a couple years ago. They were wiped out in northern Maine early last century but re-introduced a few years back. There's no turkey hunting allowed in our wildlife management area.

IMG_1891.mov 52.38 MB · 0 downloads  

These days, I run into turkeys every single day. I'm actually impressed at their land speed. They are not the smartest creatures so when I'm biking down a field road they'll just run straight in front of me for half a mile full tilt rather than turn left or right.

IMG_1905.mov 46.48 MB · 0 downloads  

Also continue to see tons of deer. I'm not a wildlife expert but I have to assume the mild winter exploded their population.

IMG_1861.thumb.jpeg.25e5d67af6ca6270a0f4e38a104f8c0c.jpeg

So far so good on my bear strap experiment. A family company called trashlockers.com makes bespoke straps that have held up thus far and their customer service is great.

If you can pedal just a bit faster you might scare one into taking flight. It's like watching a plane that's overloaded trying to take off. A real spectacle. 

• LAUGH 2

On 8/2/2024 at 1:53 PM, 1816 said:

If you can pedal just a bit faster you might scare one into taking flight. It's like watching a plane that's overloaded trying to take off. A real spectacle. 

Similar to a Swan trying to take flight.  Thankfully where I fish, there is a long water runway.

• LIKE 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:35 AM, Mainiac said:

Interestingly, I didn't see my first wild turkey until a couple years ago. They were wiped out in northern Maine early last century but re-introduced a few years back. There's no turkey hunting allowed in our wildlife management area.

IMG_1891.mov 52.38 MB · 0 downloads  

These days, I run into turkeys every single day. I'm actually impressed at their land speed. They are not the smartest creatures so when I'm biking down a field road they'll just run straight in front of me for half a mile full tilt rather than turn left or right.

IMG_1905.mov 46.48 MB · 1 download  

Also continue to see tons of deer. I'm not a wildlife expert but I have to assume the mild winter exploded their population.

So far so good on my bear strap experiment. A family company called trashlockers.com makes bespoke straps that have held up thus far and their customer service is great.

Nice vids.  Nice shot of the deer.  Was that a cat below you as you were filming the turkeys?  Could not make it out.

• LIKE 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:35 AM, Mainiac said:

IMG_1891.mov 52.38 MB · 1 download  

IMG_1905.mov 46.48 MB · 2 downloads  

Nice job on the bear strap experiment.  Buuuuut I think this guy will get it open.

NationStates • View topic - Now Exporting: Chainsaw Bears

• LAUGH 1

• Admin
41 minutes ago, clm said:

Nice vids.  Nice shot of the deer.  Was that a cat below you as you were filming the turkeys?  Could not make it out.

Yes, a Siamese. He was really keen on going out, not realizing the world of pain a big turkey could deal.

You think he would've learned after being chased up a tree by a gaggle of Canadian geese, but alas cats do cat things . 😹

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180802135435268_COVER_Original.jpeg

• LOVE 3

37 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Yes, a Siamese. He was really keen on going out, not realizing the world of pain a big turkey could deal.

You think he would've learned after being chased up a tree by a gaggle of Canadian geese, but alas cats do cat things . 😹

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180802135435268_COVER_Original.jpeg

I know that all too well with my cats.  They act ferocious but they are big mushes.   

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Speaking of close-ups, took this shot of a Fawn Darner dragonfly recently.

Not much else to report other than a skunk I see about once a week rooting around the yard after dark. 

IMG_0122.jpeg

• FLUSHED 1
  • LOVE 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I wish I had diverse options to add to the critters feed but I just have more deer. They are everywhere.

The geese are now mustering for their winter movement. I think it's very kind of the local farmers to plant winter wheat for them to eat.

IMG_2086.thumb.jpeg.9d67c868aa7de533b302b39cec51f831.jpeg

I know there is a bird specific thread but since I'm throwing in a cat again this is more critters oriented:

A large pileated woodpecker this spring. Beautiful creature. 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 2

On 8/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, Mainiac said:

I know there is a bird specific thread

After reading about these things mustering and stealing crops I read this as there was a specific bird threat

• LOVE 1

59 minutes ago, 1816 said:

After reading about these things mustering and stealing crops I read this as there was a specific bird threat

It is a threat.  If you look carefully at @MaineJay photo of the geese, they look like they're feeding but they are really mobilizing to take over Maine.  They're using a G-14 classified military maneuver.  

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 1

On 8/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, Mainiac said:

I wish I had diverse options to add to the critters feed but I just have more deer. They are everywhere.

The geese are now mustering for their winter movement. I think it's very kind of the local farmers to plant winter wheat for them to eat.

IMG_2086.thumb.jpeg.9d67c868aa7de533b302b39cec51f831.jpeg

I know there is a bird specific thread but since I'm throwing in a cat again this is more critters oriented:

IMG_1462.mov 49.74 MB · 1 download

A large pileated woodpecker this spring. Beautiful creature. 

Nice shot and video.  You know what they say.  A window is a cat's version of our tv.

• LOVE 1