Critters

Hiramite

• Admin
18 hours ago, Mainiac said:

This is a taboo topic around the dinner table in polite Maine society and everyone has an opinion, lol. 

IMG_0641.thumb.jpeg.7e58b5b994c1e067f0398fd21c62007b.jpeg

This was about 30 feet in front of me crossing. It looked like some sort of Mustelid. Didn’t have a white coat like most of the ermines I see this time of year.  Long, sleek, brown and fast. Can’t really tell if there is interdigital webbing. Fisher? Don’t really see them ever so that would be low on my list of possibilities.  Wasn’t too far from water access. 

I just download this app! Going to give it a shot. Always looking for more way to identify strange stuff in the wild. 

I've had a fisher and an ermine run across the road in front of me and the fisher was significantly larger in size.   Only took about 3 "hops" to get across the road, it was an impressive animal. 

Are otters common up there?  I believe fishers prefer dense pine forests and don't necessarily live by water despite the name. So that's why I thought maybe otter, or even mink perhaps?

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
9 hours ago, MaineJay said:

I've had a fisher and an ermine run across the road in front of me and the fisher was significantly larger in size.   Only took about 3 "hops" to get across the road, it was an impressive animal. 

Are otters common up there?  I believe fishers prefer dense pine forests and don't necessarily live by water despite the name. So that's why I thought maybe otter, or even mink perhaps?

Yeah, I've only heard of Fishers in the deep woods to the west of us. Growing up my grandfather had a few stories about encounters. 

I was thinking mink or otter because of the proximity to the stream. I wish I had gotten a better look as I just caught it out of the corner of my eye.

image.thumb.png.0559371c3e4d1425d7d286c3f5a55706.png

Edit: I should probably mention the name of the flowing body is Otter Creek.🙂

12 hours ago, MaineJay said:

River Otters should be in northern Maine.  They're very common throughout all of New England and Canada bordering Maine.  Actually they are all throughout Canada and U.S., just was keeping the topic to the N.E. area.

• LIKE 2

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Mainiac said:

More tracks! i'm thinking the bird is some sort of heron? 

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

First 2 are close to an Egret or Heron track, but missing that back toe which is throwing me off.

Third picture has got to be of a Yeti next to a cat / small dog track.  I'm leaning more towards a cat or cat family.  But the foot is definitely that of a Yeti.  🤪

• LAUGH 1

21 hours ago, Mainiac said:

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

Were the first 2 near any type of water?

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

Yes, a steam and some marshland. 

Then definitely an Egret or Heron (both in the same family).  What is very strange is the lack of a back toe.  Though in searching about heron tracks, I have found both with a back toe and tracks that are identical to the ones you found.

There are also other types of herons and egrets so could be any one of those.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
On 3/12/2024 at 12:19 PM, Mainiac said:

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

I’ll vote for a turkey and a coyote (not a “cat”).

• THUMBS UP 2

19 hours ago, Hiramite said:

I’ll vote for a turkey and a coyote (not a “cat”).

I second that on the turkey.  Agree on the coyote.  Was thinking of a Maine Coon.  But the lobes and distance between pads don't match up.

Amazon.com: Turkey Prints Tracks Animal - Sticker Graphic - Auto, Wall,  Laptop, Cell, Truck Sticker for Windows, Cars, Trucks : Automotive

ACTs Nature Corner: Maine Animal Tracks

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, clm said:

I second that on the turkey.  Agree on the coyote.  Was thinking of a Maine Coon.  But the lobes and distance between pads don't match up.

Amazon.com: Turkey Prints Tracks Animal - Sticker Graphic - Auto, Wall,  Laptop, Cell, Truck Sticker for Windows, Cars, Trucks : Automotive

ACTs Nature Corner: Maine Animal Tracks

Generally you don’t see the claw marks in the cat family.  Hobbes didn’t leave claw marks, see…. 🙂

IMG_6169.jpeg

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

19 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Generally you don’t see the claw marks in the cat family.  Hobbes didn’t leave claw marks, see…. 🙂

IMG_6169.jpeg

What threw me off were they were quite faint.  Didn't notice the claw marks until I looked closer.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I just got home and noticed new tracks in my yard.

IMG_1004.thumb.jpeg.17815700fcd63ad07f7a4f6cc76e92d1.jpeg

Decided to check the camera footage. 

unifi_033124_1524_13.0s.mov 6.18 MB · 1 download

Love the slide. 😆

Edit: Best I could do for a close up. Little guy was making haste and did a few more slides on the way in. 

IMG_0460.jpeg.a683d368ae891dc2164cbabc0821b10e.jpeg

Love that slide too.  And it wasn't a mistake, he's done this before.  I say he's turned pro.  😁

• LAUGH 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Mainiac said:

This is clearly the work of a villainess bad actor attempting to disrupt transportation on this primary ATV path.

IMG_1063.mov

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

You have no evidence that it was me. 🤪

• LAUGH 1

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

My nemesis. I had 40 pounds of pavers on top of the trashcan, a 5 foot tall crowbar pinning it to my steps and two bungee cords. It was like a child’s game to him, and he decided to punish me by taking the entire trashcan. 😂

Edit: I’ll add that you can hear the pavers sliding off. It wasn’t as good an idea as I thought it was and this wasn’t the bear’s first rodeo. He wasn’t able to get into the trashcan right away, but the bungees provided a carrying mechanism and he dragged it behind some trees. From there, he proceeded to crush the entire trashcan until the top popped off. 

This is the second time I’ve been raided this week. My address is probably at the top of the bear yelp listings. I’ve been holding off, but it’s time to buy a proper bear proof trashcan.

• SHOCKED 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Mainiac said:

My nemesis. I had 40 pounds of pavers on top of the trashcan, a 5 foot tall crowbar pinning it to my steps and two bungee cords. It was like a child’s game to him, and he decided to punish me by taking the entire trashcan. 😂Edit: I’ll add that you can hear the pavers sliding off. It wasn’t as good an idea as I thought it was and this wasn’t the bear’s first rodeo. He wasn’t able to get into the trashcan right away, but the bungees provided a carrying mechanism and he dragged it behind some trees. From there, he proceeded to crush the entire trashcan until the top popped off. 

This is the second time I’ve been raided this week. My address is probably at the top of the bear yelp listings. I’ve been holding off, but it’s time to buy a proper bear proof trashcan.

I’ve read 45 lbs is the max they can move and you should stop throwing away old donuts. :classic_biggrin:

So, they sell “bear proof” trashcan up there?  Are they like the ones in the Parks?

• LAUGH 2

On 6/30/2024 at 12:14 PM, Mainiac said:

My nemesis. I had 40 pounds of pavers on top of the trashcan, a 5 foot tall crowbar pinning it to my steps and two bungee cords. It was like a child’s game to him, and he decided to punish me by taking the entire trashcan. 😂

Edit: I’ll add that you can hear the pavers sliding off. It wasn’t as good an idea as I thought it was and this wasn’t the bear’s first rodeo. He wasn’t able to get into the trashcan right away, but the bungees provided a carrying mechanism and he dragged it behind some trees. From there, he proceeded to crush the entire trashcan until the top popped off. 

Mainiac: Well ain't nothing gonna get into this garbage can

Bear: Hold my beer!

• LAUGH 1

• Admin
22 hours ago, Hiramite said:

So, they sell “bear proof” trashcan up there?  Are they like the ones in the Parks?

I actually went looking at my local hardware store yesterday and the prices on them are eye watering. Standard toter or uline trash cans, but heavier material reinforced with a locking top.

The mild winner has exploded the deer population around here. I’ve never seen so many. I had four separate encounters on a single bike ride this week.  I think I saw about that many all of last summer.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I actually went looking at my local hardware store yesterday and the prices on them are eye watering. Standard toter or uline trash cans, but heavier material reinforced with a locking top

The mild winner has exploded the deer population around here. I’ve never seen so many. I had four separate encounters on a single bike ride this week.  I think I saw about that many all of last summer.

Wow, I just checked the prices on a Toter.  I can envision someone stealing it from along the road. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1