Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

If an ERC don't happen really soon, then this may go there all on its own  - AND it will blow my frickin mind even more 

I wish I had a microwave shot, sat shows the eye clearing looking stronger. Pinhole tight eyes tend to carry some gnarly peak winds 🤮

• THUMBS UP 1

32 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Still dropping latitude a bit.

image.thumb.png.d2289687e61afe2644c6249f204216cf.png

Might pray for the north barrier islands of the Yucatan, but the land interaction is the best hope for weakening this M before the shear effects later tomorrow.

1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

I don't know what the NHC will do with this last pass through.  It's horrifying.  Two readings of surface winds over 200mph.  

image.thumb.png.cfc0b1d118344bfbcf46b30d6156af79.png

That is horrifying. I hope that weakening it's supposed to do is legit because otherwise we are looking at a labor day hurricane redux into Tampa instead of the sparsely populated keys of the 1930s

4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Atlantic basin Canes with winds over 200mph is a very short list

Hurricane Allan at 190 is all I come up with so far 😮

Stretch - you got more on this?

I don’t think we’ve had any yet. Typically reserve the max for long term cape verde canes. 

IMG_5677.png

Edited by TLChip
  • SAD 1
  • THANKS 1

37 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

This starting to give Katrina vibes

For people on the western coast of Florida, I think I would start portraying this as Florida's Hurricane Katrina.  Short and to the point, and it grabs the attention because most people remember what Katrina did to the Gulf coast.  The comparison is probably not entirely accurate as the max storm surge height won't get that high, but this is a dire situation that is unfolding and it's compounded by the damage that Helene caused to that area.  

• THUMBS UP 1

59 minutes ago, MidwestWX said:

Fortunately the atmosphere has limits if we use Maximum Potential Intensity for this area it's lower limit would be in the 900-910 MB range. I assume an ERC will occur sooner than later too. 

Wilma would like a word with you.

1 hour ago, TLChip said:

cat 5 is catastrophic damage, it doesn’t change after that. Even canes that peaked 200+ or sub 900mb. 

Unfortunately that language still doesn't resonate with some folks.  Cat 6 needs to be "You will likely die"

• Moderators

This is peak surge forecast as of 11am edt. Guessing it's based off a Cat 3 landfall.  The surge from Helene was higher where it made landfall. 

image.thumb.png.aa5c6d96c645407e6f7a5e56d08f4c82.png

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

For people on the western coast of Florida, I think I would start portraying this as Florida's Hurricane Katrina.  Short and to the point, and it grabs the attention because most people remember what Katrina did to the Gulf coast.  The comparison is probably not entirely accurate as the max storm surge height won't get that high, but this is a dire situation that is unfolding and it's compounded by the damage that Helene caused to that area.  

This might be something that grabs their attention. That's needed at this time. It's a long standing joke about how hurricanes keep missing Tampa. Tampa probably not gonna miss this one, and it's fitting it's a doozy. They need to be shaken awake imo. 

3 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

This is peak surge forecast as of 11am edt. Guessing it's based off a Cat 3 landfall.  The surge from Helene was higher where it made landfall. 

image.thumb.png.aa5c6d96c645407e6f7a5e56d08f4c82.png

I'll take the over.  That area is capable of higher surge and this extreme magnitude of rapid strengthening happening earlier than expected will start building the surge faster than originally anticipated.