Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

Just now, ak9971 said:

Luckily much of that area between Miami and Naples is nature habitat. Driven on 75 there before at night and lots of eyes staring back at you from the waterways 😬

Crocs will be fine.

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 3

22 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Kinda looks like a ragged eye re-emerging? Suggest ERC is near complete or is complete. Bad news - gives it a chance to retain its Moxie. 

Future radar suggests the eye will be huge and intact as it comes ashore. 

Looks like there’s definitely two eyes on radar at the moment but though. Outer one is wrapping around almost now. Could be but not the best radar shot. IMG_7712.thumb.png.39b2b32526af38330bcb31fd70937b80.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Glad I didn't make a prediction as to what I'd see when I logged in. Didn't expect it to maintain 5 basically all night.  At least some good news for Clearwater, St Pete and Tampa if things hold. Actually with the exception of the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area, the surge maps improved. Not sure if this is a timing with the tide thing since the Cape Coral map should have worsened with the storm going south.  The gray areas are inundation zones.  Basically the barrier islands are swamped starting with Treasure Island getting 3-6. Then once you get to Bradenton, it's 6-9 or 9+ down to Captiva/Sanibel. 

Tampasurgemap10-9.thumb.png.12e799d80ace7048e4fbda0d9eb4a4f9.pngPuntagordasurgemap10-9.thumb.png.541a41f512b14889d5729c3e1effd171.pngCapecoralFtMeyers10-9.png.df7b74af16153929acad6b4701e1fadf.png

Just now, Burr said:

Moving more north than east now

IMG_5279.gif

Really interesting that feature that almost seems “puked” out of the eye followed by cold cloud tops exploding on the west side of circulation. 

• LIKE 1

Just now, ak9971 said:

Really interesting that feature that almost seems “puked” out of the eye followed by cold cloud tops exploding on the west side of circulation. 

I just was looking at that as well. Interesting indeed. 

• LIKE 1

24 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Renken sent me a post on X from WxMatrix (Jesse) - I don't do X but if you do it's worth looking into. 

It's titled, Don't Look Down  - and it's a mindblowing look into the throat of Milton from last night

Amazing… 

• LIKE 5
  • WOW 3

• Moderators

HAFS B has the closest strength.  It has shear coming from the WNW, which is what it looks like on the sat. I had expected the sw side to open up as I thought the shear was coming from the SW.  But those are the steering currents.

image.thumb.png.68f9f1a623398bc37e9cb907b3a2599d.png

Can see the column pretty much sticks straight up, with a little bend near the top. 

image.thumb.png.ff04246899a5f7a87a7aa73a05fd9fc4.png

This is closer to landfall

image.thumb.png.160cb40a624120958c0c1ea5388ea8d5.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

This has been an interesting feature to follow since it formed basically.  We were speculating earlier that it was feeding the system.  I'm also finding the position interesting since it's rotated to the north instead of the E to NE of the system where it's been. 

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Burr said:

Crocs will be fine.

That's because Crocs are made from their proprietary croslite material, an antimicrobial closed-cell resin that is nearly indestructable. They also never go out of style.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 4
  • TROPHY 3

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Eye as of 11:41Z was open in the SE, 8NM wide. No mention of concentric. Max flight winds 178mph on the east side.  19 will have an update shortly

Spoiler

Product: NOAA Vortex Message (URNT12 KWBC)
Transmitted: 9th day of the month at 12:35Z
Agency: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Aircraft: Lockheed WP-3D Orion (Reg. Num. N43RF)
Storm Name: Milton
Storm Number & Year: 14 in 2024 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 19
Observation Number: 11

A. Time of Center Fix: 9th day of the month at 11:41:50Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 25.02N 84.78W
B. Center Fix Location: 191 statute miles (307 km) to the W (280°) from Key West, FL, USA.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: Not Available
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 923mb (27.26 inHg) - Extrapolated
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center (Undecoded): NA
F. Eye Character: Open in the southeast
G. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 8 nautical miles
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: Not Available
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound (Undecoded): NA
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 111° at 122kts (From the ESE at 140.4mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 6 nautical miles to the N (359°) of center fix at 11:39:59Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: Not Available
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound (Undecoded): NA
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 263° at 125kts (From the W at 143.8mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 10 nautical miles (12 statute miles) to the S (179°) of center fix at 11:44:33Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 16°C (61°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,459m (8,068ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 22°C (72°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,436m (7,992ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp & Sea Surface Temp: Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar and Pressure
S. Fix Level: Other - Not surface, 1500ft, 925mb, 850mb, 700mb, 500mb, 400mb, 300mb or 200mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.01 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 3 nautical miles

Remarks Section:

Sea Level Pressure Extrapolation From: 8000 feet
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 155kts (~ 178.4mph) which was observed 9 nautical miles to the E (90°) from the flight level center at 10:25:50Z
Maximum Flight Level Temp: 25°C (77°F) which was observed 7 nautical miles to the S (180°) from the flight level center

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Looks like 19 avoided the center.  The drop was from the earlier pass.  Sat overlay agrees. 

Screenshot2024-10-09at9_23_20AM.thumb.png.aedd9983acdf33f175b2bb04e0ee2b02.pngScreenshot2024-10-09at9_27_27AM.thumb.png.eafd9f707d86d5d27689b37bcdee5e1a.png

Edited by StretchCT

30 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

That's because Crocs are made from their proprietary croslite material, an antimicrobial closed-cell resin that is nearly indestructable. They also never go out of style.

Flamethrower.  That should do it.  I have to get too close to patients feet that have been in the same crocs for to many years.  It is not pleasant, but curable, I think, with the proper tool.

• LAUGH 4

58 minutes ago, Burr said:

Moving more north than east now

IMG_5279.gif

What affect will that pocket of energy to the north have? Will it widen Milton, strengthen it, neither? I'm a hurricane novice trying to learn, but it seems like this cane might not provide the most transferrable knowledge 😅

49 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

sddefault.jpg.88d4edd8b203ba5a1b561e32e976600d.jpg

• LAUGH 2