Key Messages:

1. A large area of destructive storm surge, with highest inundations
of 10 ft or greater, is expected along a portion of the west-central
coast of the Florida Peninsula.  If you are in the Storm Surge
Warning area, this is an extremely life-threatening situation, and
you should evacuate as soon as possible if ordered by local
officials.

2. Devastating hurricane-force winds are expected along portions of
the west coast of Florida, where a Hurricane Warning is in effect.
Milton is forecast to remain a hurricane while it crosses the
Florida Peninsula and life-threatening hurricane-force winds,
especially in gusts, are expected to spread inland across the
peninsula.  Preparations to protect life and property, including
being ready for long-duration power outages, should be rushed to
completion.

3. Heavy rainfall across the Florida Peninsula through Thursday
brings the risk of catastrophic and life-threatening flash and urban
flooding along with moderate to major river flooding, especially in
areas where coastal and inland flooding combine to increase the
overall flood threat.
  • LIKE 2

Now even I had to remind myself the meaning of "interpolated models" ( I suspected I knew but wished to confirm)

That simply means modeling based on "new information". Not sure why NHC is going with the dynamic output - perhaps historical experience makes them lean that way. 

Just now, Neoncyclone said:

I feel like we were supposed to be seeing some weakening by now, i'd prepare for the possibility of CAT 4 at least landfall unless insanely significant weakening can happen today.

I keep reminding others (not here) that the "shelf" off the Fl coast extends pretty damn far out into the GOM. Those waters being relatively shoal will just not have enough depth of cold water which a storm can upwell. Because they will tend to remain warm, the fuel is still "high octane" and only atmospheric conditions can weaken it. 

NHC mentioned the baroclinic processes that just may overcome the shear. Part of that is Div/Conf I've been beating the drum on. It was SuperTyphoon (ST - Mark) who explained that baroclinic in layman's terms simply fancy word for thermal effect. So to me, we have 3 things to offset the 1 (SHR). 

Cat4 at landfall is definitely on the table ( I don't dare consider the prospect of Cat5 at landfall - I just can't...)

• LIKE 4

To my point about PRE in the affected regions. I finally found the maps that show current watershed conditions. This is NOT good - not at all. 

Top that with the PRE that will be associated with our "blob" - heavy convective rains that will arrive prior to the bulk from Milton and, well.... you get the picture. 

image.thumb.png.99f5a686dab7b0002f17ce2b0fa00252.png

• LIKE 2

Mesoscale Discussion 2135
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0445 AM CDT Wed Oct 09 2024

Areas affected...much of southern Florida

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible 

Spoiler

Valid 090945Z - 091315Z Probability of Watch Issuance...60 percent SUMMARY...The conditional risk of isolated tornadoes is expected to generally increase this morning, especially after sunrise. DISCUSSION...Low-level warming/moistening is noted on surface observations over southern FL this morning, as a boundary moves north toward a Miami to Naples line. Cells have generally languished over land due to the relatively cooler air mass in place, however, theta-e advection will continue to reduce that influence. Occasional supercells were noted off the western Peninsula, with renewed development noted recently within a zone well offshore. Radar also shows large-scale confluence bands/convection extending from western Cuba and curling northwestward into the eastern Gulf of Mexico ahead of Hurricane Milton. Additional bands such as these could form farther east, and affect parts of southern FL later this morning, and especially along the aforementioned baroclinic zone now pushing north across far southern FL. Shortly after sunrise, boundary-layer mixing will result in destabilization for surface-based parcels, with 850 mb winds increasing to over 30 kt. 0-1 SRH is already over 100 m2/s2, and should generally approach the 150-200 m2/s2 range through the day. This will result in a favorable environment for a few tornadic supercells, given upper 70s F dewpoints and heating. As such, a watch may be considered closer to 12Z.

22 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Hints of ERC?

Let’s hope. That’s probably our best chance at a significantly weakened storm. It could open Milton up up to the shear and dry air while trying to reorganize. By significantly weakened that’s probably in the 125mph cat 3 territory that NHC has for their projected wind speeds at landfall.  We are less than 24 hours from landfall so we need something to shake the apple tree otherwise forward momentum would most likely rule the day. 

Northwest quadrant struggling.  Definitely looks similar to the last ERC in terms of the coldest cloudtops away from the eye

IMG_5266.gif

Possible weakening on the hunter fixes.  Two are inside.  One has made multiple runs, the other just made its first pass.

IMG_5268.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg

Edited by Burr

3 minutes ago, Burr said:

Northwest quadrant struggling.  Definitely looks similar to the last ERC in terms of the coldest cloudtops away from the eye

IMG_5266.gif

ADT verifies - two flags now "on". Good news? Well only kind of. It's going to go from compact to two or more levels above that. 

image.thumb.png.9b0a7cb5597cf96822a4edf983908a67.png