Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Cool thing about the tropical threads are that no one is here complaining they aren't getting the storm. 

I gotta admit, yesterday I was trying to imagine how to get "storm surge" in a snowstorm.

• LOVE 2

1 hour ago, Sentinel said:

You can tell her that this is coming from someone who has a career as an Emergency/Risk Manager. Her life is in danger if she stays. Period. 

We’ve tried. She is now going a mile inland to a friend's. She is 70 year old nut. 

• LOVE 1

6 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Mission 17 vortex: pressure 913mb, closed circular eye 9nm wide. Flight wind in 144mph, flight wind out 159 mph.  Eye temp in 26c, out 17c. Top flight wind 180mph. 

Reveal hidden contents

Product: NOAA Vortex Message (URNT12 KWBC)
Transmitted: 9th day of the month at 0:50Z
Agency: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Aircraft: Lockheed WP-3D Orion (Reg. Num. N42RF)
Storm Name: Milton
Storm Number & Year: 14 in 2024 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 17
Observation Number: 12

A. Time of Center Fix: 9th day of the month at 0:20:17Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 23.08N 86.82W
B. Center Fix Location: 335 statute miles (539 km) to the WSW (252°) from Key West, FL, USA.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: Not Available
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 913mb (26.96 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 85° at 3kts (From the E at 3mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 9 nautical miles
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: Not Available
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound (Undecoded): NA
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 345° at 125kts (From the NNW at 143.8mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 5 nautical miles to the W (263°) of center fix at 0:18:59Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: Not Available
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound (Undecoded): NA
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 187° at 138kts (From the S at 158.8mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 7 nautical miles to the E (89°) of center fix at 0:22:06Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 17°C (63°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,448m (8,031ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 26°C (79°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,441m (8,009ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 20°C (68°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: Other - Not surface, 1500ft, 925mb, 850mb, 700mb, 500mb, 400mb, 300mb or 200mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.01 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 156kts (~ 179.5mph) which was observed 7 nautical miles to the SSE (164°) from the flight level center at 23:10:00Z

I thought I spied a 910.9 in there 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tater said:

I gotta admit, yesterday I was trying to imagine how to get "storm surge" in a snowstorm.

Oh we know in New England how there can be a surge in a noreaster.  Not usually more than a couple of feet though. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/FUPU7hUtqJDF3uF6/

Edited by StretchCT

3 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

We’ve tried. She is now going a mile inland to a friend's. She is 70 year old nut. 

Pretty sure me telling her to take a hang tag and write her name and date of birth on it and tie it to her big toe got her attention. 

Edited by Rickrd
  • THUMBS UP 1

9 minutes ago, GregRups said:

A lot of people in fort myers, Bonita and southwest Florida are still recovering from Ian two years ago. Some places I drive by are still boarded up.  Going to be a shame when Milton comes through.

There is a big shift going on in FL to new condos built to code, and away from old condos and ranch homes.  Mostly driven by insurance costs.  Let face it, a lot of these houses you see on barrier islands on the Gulf should never have been built, the zoning is incompatible with the realities of mother nature there.  Helene and Milton are going to accelerate that trend dramatically.  I want a place in FL someday, and I think now I would be better off in a newly built condo.

• THUMBS UP 1

2 hours ago, tool483 said:

ok, well this is insane stuff I tell you..wow!?? The vorticity's in that eye and the gravity waves, holy sheesh

Mesmerizing. Looks like a bad date I had in 1985. Tequila 1. Rick 0. 

• LAUGH 1

3 minutes ago, longislander said:

There is a big shift going on in FL to new condos built to code, and away from old condos and ranch homes.  Mostly driven by insurance costs.  Let face it, a lot of these houses you see on barrier islands on the Gulf should never have been built, the zoning is incompatible with the realities of mother nature there.  Helene and Milton are going to accelerate that trend dramatically.  I want a place in FL someday, and I think now I would be better off in a newly built condo.

Some of the products out now are amazing. I was in a testing facility and they shot 2x4's out of a cannon at 120 mph, into a 12'x20' glass storefront. It held multiple shots, and passed a negative+positive alternating pressure test the whole time.

Edited by TLChip
  • WOW 1
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, Burr said:

This is not my uncle:

IMG_5253.jpeg

If this is real, he needs to be given a live GoPro with a feed. I don’t want to see a man die, but I want to watch the chaos of a boat in this storm. 

• LIKE 3
  • WOW 1

16 minutes ago, Tater said:

I grew up in PA watching and rooting for snowstorms. Now that I live in Florida tropical storms are all I have! Although they aren't as guilt-free to root for, as they're slightly more deadly 

• LIKE 2

Just now, Psu1313 said:

If this is real, he needs to be given a live GoPro with a feed. I don’t want to see a man die, but I want to watch the chaos of a boat in this storm. 

The stupid part is that many of these folks that are riding it out will be waking up 4 days from now in houses that are undamaged. However, they won't have power, will be out of food, out of water and all the nearby roads will be impassable or destroyed so they cannot get more provisions.

These same people will be screaming at FEMA for not plucking them out of their predicament by helicopter.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

Great info in here all. The ‘cane threads imho are the best of the best . Tons of knowledge and insight, without the winter wanking, as Stretch said. Ok, he didn’t  go “ winter wanking”, but he is much more polished than me, and i kinda like that term 😀. Looking at storms from afar with no skin the game other than friends and relatives takes some of the emotions out of it. 
Thank you all! 

• LIKE 6
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Great info in here all. The ‘cane threads imho are the best of the best . Tons of knowledge and insight, without the winter wanking, as Stretch said. Ok, he didn’t  go “ winter wanking”, but he is much more polished than me, and i kinda like that term 😀. Looking at storms from afar with no skin the game other than friends and relatives takes some of the emotions out of it. 
Thank you all! 

How much snow in philly?

• LAUGH 3
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Weakening flag has been on for a while.

What's the criteria for the flags? How fast do they flip?