Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

Someone I know that I played baseball with here in Ohio for years moved to the Tampa area for his job. He said he’s in zone E and on the 3rd floor of his apartment complex about 25 feet up. He’s staying. I’ve studied weather chased it and enjoyed it my whole life I don’t think unless I was with reed or Ryan hall’s team that I would even tempt this this is just way to life changing. I told him to leave. He won’t. I really want to know what processes in people’s minds that don’t have knowledge of weather to stay. The boards would be up then important papers and my dog would be with me and I’d be gone. 

6 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Someone I know that I played baseball with here in Ohio for years moved to the Tampa area for his job. He said he’s in zone E and on the 3rd floor of his apartment complex about 25 feet up. He’s staying. I’ve studied weather chased it and enjoyed it my whole life I don’t think unless I was with reed or Ryan hall’s team that I would even tempt this this is just way to life changing. I told him to leave. He won’t. I really want to know what processes in people’s minds that don’t have knowledge of weather to stay. The boards would be up then important papers and my dog would be with me and I’d be gone. 

I think it's different strokes for different folks. Your buddy sounds youngish so I believe there's a group who secretly want to experience it for the adventure. Probably also the most likely to regret it. 

Then there's old people. Seen a million canes come and go. They're not up to the whole task of evacuating. And probably don't give a shit what happens either way. Crusty stubborn old bastards. Burr's uncle probably. 

Then there's certain floridians. A lot of them are just nuts. Florida man is a thing for a reason. They don't belive a damn word out of the lying weatherman's mouth anyway. They welcome the storm with double birds and want to actively fight it. 

The sane floridians  just leave like they're supposed to lol. 

• THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, 1816 said:

I think it's different strokes for different folks. Your buddy sounds youngish so I believe there's a group who secretly want to experience it for the adventure. Probably also the most likely to regret it. 

Then there's old people. Seen a million canes come and go. They're not up to the whole task of evacuating. And probably don't give a shit what happens either way. Crusty stubborn old bastards. Burr's uncle probably. 

Then there's certain floridians. A lot of them are just nuts. Florida man is a thing for a reason. They don't belive a damn word out of the lying weatherman's mouth anyway. They welcome the storm with double birds and want to actively fight it. 

The sane floridians  just leave like they're supposed to lol. 

He’s young and has only experienced Helene which he left for her though so this time he sad nope it was fine 2 weeks ago

50 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Graphic still not bullish on hurricane force winds hitting Florida. 50/50 on the coast, under 50% chance inland.

image.thumb.png.3198c43d2593c6caf5d5f91877b0d4c5.png

I'm not entirely sure how that works, but it seems like the relatively low probabilities (or lower than what one would think) are probably largely due to uncertainties on landfall location.  

Given the expected intensity at landfall, the odds of somebody on the Florida coast observing hurricane force winds are very high.  I'm not a fan of that graphic because of the potential for it to mislead the public.  If somebody is relying on that graphic alone (which they shouldn't be), they may find themselves in a situation where suddenly the probabilities rapidly rise to say 80-90% once we get to 12-24 hours before landfall, and by then it's pretty late to evacuate.

• LOVE 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

I'm not entirely sure how that works, but it seems like the relatively low probabilities (or lower than what one would think) are probably largely due to uncertainties on landfall location.  

Given the expected intensity at landfall, the odds of somebody on the Florida coast observing hurricane force winds are very high.  I'm not a fan of that graphic because of the potential for it to mislead the public.  If somebody is relying on that graphic alone (which they shouldn't be), they may find themselves in a situation where suddenly the probabilities rapidly rise to say 80-90% once we get to 12-24 hours before landfall, and by then it's pretty late to evacuate.

Concur - the AFDs across the peninsula ALL show hurr gusts at the very least 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Concur - the AFDs across the peninsula ALL show hurr gusts at the very least 

Yeah this graphic is reminiscent of spc tornado probabilities. Someone sees moderate 30 percent etc they're like "eh 7 out of 10 no tornado I'll play those odds" not realizing it's a dire watch the f**k out situation. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Really crazy if you ride this out down there. Told my wife's cousin to get out. She's 2 miles from the beach north of Tampa. She's asking us to pray that it goes out to sea. FACE SLAP! 

You can tell her that this is coming from someone who has a career as an Emergency/Risk Manager. Her life is in danger if she stays. Period. 

• TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I still say the shear won't touch it. It didn't slow Helene - in fact it helped it then and it's helping Milton to some extent now. 

Not when you have uber warm SST comb with divergence and convergence. 

It's wishful thinking. 

Yup. Especially with a storm with such a well defined core. This may come onto land as a Cat 5. 

• Moderators

Last pass through (mission 16): 906 mb, 7nm wide eye closed and circular (dang its getting tiny again), sfmr winds 172mph in (NNE) and 169mph out (SSW), flight level winds maxed at 183.  Temp inside the eye back up to 26C.  Outside the eye 11C.  I'm shocked it's not lower pressure and higher winds honestly.  Very close to last night. 

Spoiler

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 8th day of the month at 22:50Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF97-5303
Storm Name: Milton
Storm Number & Year: 14 in 2024 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 16
Observation Number: 13

A. Time of Center Fix: 8th day of the month at 22:24:10Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 22.87N 87.18W
B. Center Fix Location: 120 statute miles (193 km) to the N (350°) from Cancún, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,292m (7,520ft) at 700mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 906mb (26.76 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 170° at 11kts (From the S at 13mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 7 nautical miles
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 149kts (171.5mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 3 nautical miles to the NNE (22°) of center fix at 22:23:00Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 114° at 131kts (From the ESE at 150.8mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 5 nautical miles to the NNE (28°) of center fix at 22:22:30Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 147kts (169.2mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 8 nautical miles to the SSW (202°) of center fix at 22:26:30Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 298° at 156kts (From the WNW at 179.5mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 7 nautical miles to the SSW (207°) of center fix at 22:26:00Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 11°C (52°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,060m (10,039ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 26°C (79°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,989m (9,806ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 10°C (50°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: 700mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 159kts (~ 183.0mph) which was observed 7 nautical miles to the E (92°) from the flight level center at 21:07:00Z

• LIKE 1

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Tell him to write his name and Social Security number on his arm in sharpie. 

• THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

Getting that concentric look - hard to tell though with this radar

Screenshot2024-10-08at7_07_03PM.thumb.png.2d73bbda4cf180219de0e6dd20cef30f.png

IMG_5539.gif.c9dbb27cdf5d22f64314220dd100e57f.gif

yea mimic shows something happening at end for sure 

this really is cycling around the same time of day it did yesterday too, from about 6pm till midnight

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
Just now, Poco said:

IMG_5539.gif.c9dbb27cdf5d22f64314220dd100e57f.gif

yea mimic shows something happening at end for sure 

this really is cycling around the same time of day it did yesterday too, from about 6pm till midnight

I really hate that you can't pause this

• THUMBS UP 1