Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

9 minutes ago, clm said:

What would be best for Tampa (aside from it petering out)?  Current path aside, if they were to get hit, would it be best for them to be north or south of the eyewall entirely?

South, wind direction helps. But south could mean a stronger overall cane. Also puts them in the northern side of an eye wall which can be a bad spot.

Edited by TLChip
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, LUCC said:

More north from NE/E/SE eyewall the better for any location of a hurricane. Just like Sandy, south of landfall they were spared much of the flooding and wind damage, places at or north of landfall got destroyed.

But that was a hurricane approaching from the East, so in this case storm surge and on-shore winds will be significantly greater to the south of the eyewall rather than the north.

Edited by AceGikmo
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, clm said:

What would be best for Tampa (aside from it petering out)?  Current path aside, if they were to get hit, would it be best for them to be north or south of the eyewall entirely?

Surge will be less if it goes to the south. Rain will be on the north side.  Wind probably everywhere  - it would have to be 60 miles away I would guess at this point to avoid 90mph winds. 

• THANKS 1

Just now, AceGikmo said:

But that was a hurricane approaching from the East, so in this case storm surge will be significantly greater to the south of the eyewall rather than the north.

I updated my post just as you were responding. LOL

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TLChip said:

South, wind direction helps. But south could mean a stronger overall cane.

Yeah that too. If it's south it's probably a little stronger and smacking other areas worse than it would have smacked Tampa area. If you could get it south of Naples, then only the Keys are in trouble. 

Just now, StretchCT said:

Yeah that too. If it's south it's probably a little stronger and smacking other areas worse than it would have smacked Tampa area. If you could get it south of Naples, then only the Keys are in trouble. 

Yeah I just edited that too because if it’s slightly south it could put them in the northern eye wall which is also a rough spot.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, mikeysed said:

5pm update should have 165

Tidbits has the storm at 920 and 140kts which is 162 mph.  Not sure why NHC updated the server but not the web page.  Maybe just waiting for recon?

• THUMBS UP 1

Also I did a comparison and averaged out the progged 3d movement between GFS and HAFS and determined Milton is about 3.5 degrees off from 72hr forecast.  Meaning it’s moving slower to the tune of about 241.5 miles over the last 3 days compared to its prognostication, or about 80miles slower per day 

• LIKE 3

59 minutes ago, TLChip said:

It looks like it’s drinking from the storm northeast again. 

Probably Favorable interaction off of cuba this time.  Believe the highest mountains are centrally located on the island so could see an injection of even cooler drier air into the northeast quadrant/inflow later tonight.  (Which is like gas into a fire) 

Edited by Poco
  • THANKS 1

23 minutes ago, Poco said:

Also I did a comparison and averaged out the progged 3d movement between GFS and HAFS and determined Milton is about 3.5 degrees off from 72hr forecast.  Meaning it’s moving slower to the tune of about 241.5 miles over the last 3 days compared to its prognostication, or about 80miles slower per day 

image.png.570f270aa283c879d501e351ead61563.png

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 4

6 minutes ago, Cirrus Condition said:

I'm still wondering if Milton is going to suck that storm up for the merge...but instead, it appears to be leading the way.

That’s not a storm that’s part of Milton. Outer part of the system/feeder bands same thing happened with Helene. The core is there but they have to breath that’s how.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I heard that they're telling people to put the debris in their garage (whatever can't be picked up in time).  Might be hard to put everything in the garage for some people though.

First you need a garage…. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Cat 5 again

BULLETIN
Hurricane Milton Advisory Number  15
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL142024
400 PM CDT Tue Oct 08 2024

...MILTON BACK TO CATEGORY 5 STRENGTH
...FLORIDA RESIDENTS SHOULD GET THEIR FAMILIES AND HOMES READY AND EVACUATE IF TOLD TO DO SO...

SUMMARY OF 400 PM CDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.7N 87.5W
ABOUT 320 MI...520 KM WSW OF THE DRY TORTUGAS
ABOUT 480 MI...775 KM SW OF TAMPA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH...270 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 75 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...918 MB...27.11 INCHES
Edited by Burr