Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

So what will lead to this heading north? I'm surprised that any storm this strong isn't already headed that direction... Did the ERC just disrupt the eventual northward march temporarily?

Edited by AceGikmo

I was talking debris earlier. Have a good friend in Bradenton. Debris still all over the place and a lot of homes and biz’s boarded up and closed from Helene. Sand in piles everywhere. That was from a 5 ft surge. Bradenton is in the cross hairs of this one. 
we are watching a horror movie in slow motion.

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

In fact looking at the satellite I this is already back to cat5

Next update should be a minimum of 165 mph and a low 900s mb.

• LIKE 1

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

That surge is pretty much set now. 

Honestly, to me - it's already been set. No scenario actually spared the massive inundation we're gonna see. That includes yesterday's outlook when I said that same thing and posted a concurring opinion from a 35 yr on the desk buddy of mine (not ST by the way, this is a recent acquaintance I've made) 

I guess we could say -it was 97% yesterday and now is a full 100% 

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, StormfanaticInd said:

That surge is pretty much set now. 

Yeah I don't think it matters too much now about the category. It's about the water. If it stays crazy with the wind it's just another shame. It's gonna be really really bad no matter what. 

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • SAD 2

5 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Yeah I don't think it matters too much now about the category. It's about the water. If it stays crazy with the wind it's just another shame. It's gonna be really really bad no matter what. 

I still think it does. If some of those areas near the greatest surge also get a ton of rain from say a cat 4, the flooding may be unimaginable. You would have flooding from the rains, and then a huge wall of water from the surge preventing it from escaping. The worst parts of the Bible basically. That is what is really scary about a Tampa hit, with the design on the city. 126 sq miles of beach and development in a 3 quarter semi-circle facing the water.

Figured this was coming today after Milton maintained very well during his EWRC. Going to be firing on all cylinders again for the next few hours. What an absolute monster of a system.

Regarding Tampa...

Goes without saying that a landfall even a little south of the bay would be a better scenario for Tampa, but that is still not a great outcome for them by any means.  That could put them in the northern eyewall where winds would still be pretty intense, and in a zone of max rainfall on the northern end, resulting in heightened flood concerns from rainfall.  Couple that with any debris from Helene that is left behind to possibly be swept/carried away, and it's still a bad scenario for them.  Realistically, I don't really see an outcome with minimal effects for Tampa.  The choices are catastrophic, very bad, and bad.  

• SAD 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

2 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Very powerful hurricane 

As much as I like to study storms and would like to be inside it to experience it, I would not want to be there at all.  If that makes any sense.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Regarding Tampa...

Goes without saying that a landfall even a little south of the bay would be a better scenario for Tampa, but that is still not a great outcome for them by any means.  That could put them in the northern eyewall where winds would still be pretty intense, and in a zone of max rainfall on the northern end, resulting in heightened flood concerns from rainfall.  Couple that with any debris from Helene that is left behind to possibly be swept/carried away, and it's still a bad scenario for them.  Realistically, I don't really see an outcome with minimal effects for Tampa.  The choices are catastrophic, very bad, and bad.  

What would be best for Tampa (aside from it petering out)?  Current path aside, if they were to get hit, would it be best for them to be north or south of the eyewall entirely?

5 minutes ago, clm said:

What would be best for Tampa (aside from it petering out)?  Current path aside, if they were to get hit, would it be best for them to be north or south of the eyewall entirely?

More north, since this is hitting the west coast of Florida while moving East, the worst location is going to be from NE/E/SE eyewall. Similar to Sandy, it hit eastcoast moving west, south of landfall they were spared much of the flooding and wind damage, places at or north of landfall got destroyed.

Edited by LUCC
  • THANKS 1