Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

1 hour ago, Grace said:

I just don't understand why folks try to ride these storms out. They may all make ok but why?

Because evacuation isn't easy.  Hours on the road, struggle to find hotels, running out of gas, car accidents along the escape route.  Only people in the affected storm surge zones should evacuate.  What happens here is that people outside those zones, panic and evacuate too, and they take up the hotels and roads needed for the people who should leave.  I remember when I evacuated for Sandy, family members couldn't get hotel rooms, the guy checking into the hotel next to me - lived 5 miles away from the hotel, yet he "evacuated" to it.

• LIKE 2

Stretch, not sure what time frame you were referring to yesterday, but uyou may have been correct about the loop current. It is a tongue that runs SE to NW.  For point of reference it begins south of Fla and runs up to about 1/3 of the state, again on SE-NW trajectory. Milton will traverse that early tomorrow morning, and that’s when they think it may blow up to around 155 again. The loop is pretty far away from Fla. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

The 10am vort message did not note concentric eyewalls,  and radar hasn't been the best tool for this.  But I suppose it could be starting.image.thumb.png.8e3e71d4d4379b0c1970165161737be8.png

7 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

We could just erc this thing away.

Probably why models are keeping intensity capped, but erc’s aren’t so cut and dry.  It completed last nights in 6 or 7 hours.  If it can complete another erc today before hitting the area of ocean heat potential it could  restrengthen some .  Timing of the erc’s will be crucial as this thing approaches land.   Very active eyewall, even if it gets weaker it will grow in size and there’s no way to know if and how much restrengthening may occur after this next erc.  

best to keep on observing recconssaince abd monitoring satellite algos and intensity.   Dont simply rely on modeling or modeling interpretation for your evacuation or emergency plans 

Edited by Poco

If he feeds off that piece of energy it could fill the gap right back in on the north side. It had that feeder yesterday that really just looked like it was dumping fuel into the cane itself. 

7 minutes ago, longislander said:

Because evacuation isn't easy.  Hours on the road, struggle to find hotels, running out of gas, car accidents along the escape route.  Only people in the affected storm surge zones should evacuate.  What happens here is that people outside those zones, panic and evacuate too, and they take up the hotels and roads needed for the people who should leave.  I remember when I evacuated for Sandy, family members couldn't get hotel rooms, the guy checking into the hotel next to me - lived 5 miles away from the hotel, yet he "evacuated" to it.

I disagree in part, agree in part.

Evac is NOT only for those in surge zones - that only is who should be mandated. The concerns over loss of power, inadequate availability of sustaining supplies, just general inconvenience are all good reasons to bug out.

Some of the "issues" you mention will exist with an evac - that much I can agree with. Yet who are you or I to criticize those who simply want to seek a safer place? They don't "take up" resources - they take advantage of, and prudently so. (rhetorical question, no reply requested to that question - it's an academic exercise) Look at W NC - people I know who were not affected directly are still struggling because their resources are dwindling or they are cut off from getting to them. 

At the end of the day, it's the "boy cry wolf" syndrome - people think that "it didn't happen last time" and stick with that. 

That and this maddening distrust of the government and all "officials" that seems to pervade too many minds. 

• THUMBS UP 3

Milt holding serve here… not weakening nor strengthening at the moment.  Peak SMFR maybe a tick higher on the last pass. 

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

Edited by Burr

4 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

That NW quad just looks like it's eroding away on IR

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-Yucatan-15-14_41Z-20241008_map_noBar-24-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.d5911583a274838dbd857a7b08e0fff4.gif

I have to expect the SE convection will wrap back around the core as it pulls away from land into the warmer waters.

• THUMBS UP 1

It’s not favorably interacting with land currently, I expect the combination of diurnal cycle, land and another ERC will cause a bit of stagnation until tonight once it clears a couple of those obstacles.  For now it’s battling m, watching all the different processes at work can be very educational but stressful if you have skin in the game.  Personally I don’t but I’m no expert by any measure, frankly I’m probably one step above a rambling lunatic, but I do my best 😛

• LIKE 3
  • MELTING 1

Milton is expected to maintain major hurricane strength while it moves across the Gulf of Mexico and approaches the west coast of Florida. Stronger vertical shear is expected to set in about 24 hours, but even if this causes some weakening, it will not be enough to keep Milton from being an extremely dangerous hurricane when it reaches shore. Additionally, the first stages of extratropical transition may be just underway as Milton is reaching the coast, which could impart some baroclinic energy and slow the rate of weakening.

3 minutes ago, Poco said:

It’s not favorably interacting with land currently, I expect the combination of diurnal cycle, land and another ERC will cause a bit of stagnation until tonight once it clears a couple of those obstacles.  For now it’s battling m, watching all the different processes at work can be very educational but stressful if you have skin in the game.  Personally I don’t but I’m no expert by any measure, frankly I’m probably one step above a rambling lunatic, but I do my best 😛

Your rambling is always welcome.

• THANKS 1