Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

33 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Of course it is, and continues to be. 

One of the issues with RI that takes it up to 5, is that others (not in here) think "oh well, see? told ya! I'm stayin". It was mentioned in here many times. 

On a Central PA weather site I'm on - a 35year met asked us to inform if friends and family are fleeing or staying - an astonishing number of members said that there's are staying put. It's their funeral I suppose. 

I have 2 sets of family about 45 mins north of Tampa. They’re bunking down, have provisions stashed. 

glad my crazy buddy left Naples… he rode out Irma. 

Edited by TLChip

Two missions in the storm, and both just completed passes.  Looks like Milton has ‘topped out’ at ~932mb as the presentation on radar is looking better organized than it was 6 hours ago (at the end of the ERC)

IMG_5192.jpeg

IMG_5194.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

Edited by Burr

Sent the track guidance image to my uncle in St. Pete.  He and his neighbors have decided to stay in town.

“Appreciate your concerns.  I get that info, too. my neighbors around me are all staying.  All of my friends Geoff's and Peter's neighbors are all staying.  I'm at 39 feet above sealevel.  I'm not going to get impacted by the expected storm water surge, I am more worried about any damage the wind might do. I've got a new roof.”

• SAD 1
  • MELTING 1

5 minutes ago, Burr said:

Sent the track guidance image to my uncle in St. Pete.  He and his neighbors have decided to stay in town.

“Appreciate your concerns.  I get that info, too. my neighbors around me are all staying.  All of my friends Geoff's and Peter's neighbors are all staying.  I'm at 39 feet above sealevel.  I'm not going to get impacted by the expected storm water surge, I am more worried about any damage the wind might do. I've got a new roof.”

I just don't understand why folks try to ride these storms out. They may all make ok but why?

• THUMBS UP 3
  • TROPHY 2

4 minutes ago, Burr said:

Just now, Grace said:

I just don't understand why folks try to ride these storms out. They may all make ok but why?

And I sure don't wish them ill - I also don't want to hear them bemoaning their fate when things go sideways. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

4 minutes ago, Grace said:

More from him… ”A new report here says it might get knocked down yo a Cat 1 when it hits land. I appreciate it.  But I'm 77 years old. I'll make the right decisions.”

Me: “Who says that?  I’ll bet you $1 it will not be a Cat 1 when it makes landfall.  There’s no data to support that guidance.  That’s just bad info.”

Uncle: “The NHC.  Was on the radio. Yeah, the guy said that the wind shear is going to knock this thing down considerably when it near shore.”

So I sent him the actual NHC info, showing a major hurricane at landfall, and the snippet of the discussion.  Told him it’s his decision, but I want it to be based on accurate forecasting…

Edited by Burr
  • LIKE 2
  • SAD 1
  • LOVE 1

5 minutes ago, Grace said:

Just having to deal with the power outage and being uncomfortable is reason enough to go for me. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2

2 minutes ago, Burr said:

More from him… ”A new report here says it might get knocked down yo a Cat 1 when it hits land. I appreciate it.  But I'm 77 years old. I'll make the right decisions.”

Me: “Who says that?  I’ll bet you $1 it will not be a Cat 1 when it makes landfall.  There’s no data to support that guidance.  That’s just bad info.”

Uncle: “The NHC.  Was on the radio. Yeah, the guy said that the wind shear is going to knock this thing down considerably when it near shore.”

So I sent him the actual NHC info, showing a major hurricane at landfall, and the snippet of the discussion.  Told him it’s his decision, but I want it to be based on accurate forecasting…

The perils of the modern times where anyone can say anything and get heard and believed 

• THUMBS UP 5

Just now, 1816 said:

Just having to deal with the power outage and being uncomfortable is reason enough to go for me. 

That’s what I told him!  Why intentionally put yourself through that?  He says they will be shutting down the sewage plants, but he’s still staying.  🤢🤮

• YUCK 1

Just now, 1816 said:

The perils of the modern times where anyone can say anything and get heard and believed 

Or disbelieved as the case may be

• TROPHY 2

My golf pro at the local course, and his brother, have a place FIVE miles inland from St Pete. The brother evac'd 3 days ago (to friends in WI). 

His reasoning was that "this place will be a total mess, irrespective of whether we sustain actual damage. The loss of power and general major nuisance of clean up is enough to send me North".  Like his brother (club pro who stays here until Nov anyway) they will return after the dust settles (as it were) 

• LIKE 3
  • FIRE 1

• Admin
10 minutes ago, 1816 said:

No shortage of "X"perts out there.

• LIKE 3
  • TROPHY 2
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Burr is on top of recon.  I'll say that it looks like the bleeding has stopped. Eye is still a pretty tight one at 14nm. Mission 13 saw 932 then 931 mb. Mission 14 saw 930.  Waiting for updated vort messages from the last pass. 

Edited by StretchCT