Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Poco said:

Favorable interaction with land during the diurnal cycle, cool dry air coming off the yucatan like throwing gas into a fire 

there will be case studies done on this hurricane for a long long time 

Something to keep in mind - there is a potential developement off the coast of Florida per NHC. This must be watched for a favorable interaction which could help ventilate the storm down the road. Just something to keep in mind for right now. 

My grandmother had a place in South Venice, FL so I've been there a lot. The beaches were nice but they probably won't be there in a few days.

Edited by btbucks

• Moderators

18z runs on the hurricane models have a minor concern.  The storm does continue to weaken, but at some point,  hour 27 on HAFS B, it restrengthens.  HAFS A brings it down to 916.  HWRF does it to a lesser extent, then has a little restrengthening before landfall. HMON just diminishes it the rest of the run. 

Only a minor concern because it then falls apart before landfall.

hafsb_mslp_wind_14L_fh24-51(2).thumb.gif.dbfc32943c7af74eea8008810e1cbfeb.gif

For weather geeks, if you have Directv, Fox Weather streams live on the channel right after TWC. The coverage is incredible, and not as much forecasting and fluff as TWC. I watched both channels with Helene and combined, the coverage was a must watch.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

18z runs on the hurricane models have a minor concern.  The storm does continue to weaken, but at some point,  hour 27 on HAFS B, it restrengthens.  HAFS A brings it down to 916.  HWRF does it to a lesser extent, then has a little restrengthening before landfall. HMON just diminishes it the rest of the run. 

Only a minor concern because it then falls apart before landfall.

hafsb_mslp_wind_14L_fh24-51(2).thumb.gif.dbfc32943c7af74eea8008810e1cbfeb.gif

Per my post earlier, it is that cold air injection. Timing is crucial.

Outer eyewall appears to be contracting quickly

IMG_5168.jpeg
[Edit: cannot get the video animation at the moment]

Edited by Burr
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

crazy how nasty the storm looks all around, but the flight winds aren't that bad for most of it.  Oh yeah, and Mission 10 timed it well again.

image.thumb.png.cb922b0114de2d5ff7cc2cbd630a4731.png

• TROPHY 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Per my post earlier, it is that cold air injection. Timing is crucial.

Levi mentioned that in his video today.  I was thinking it it's more like the loop current causing it. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Burr said:

Outer eyewall appears to be contracting quickly

IMG_5168.jpeg

I'm hardly an expert but I have to imagine there's a tremendous difference between an erc with a 100 mile eye and this 24 mile eye. I don't think this is gonna slow it down as much as an erc usually would. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I'm hardly an expert but I have to imagine there's a tremendous difference between an erc with a 100 mile eye and this 24 mile eye. I don't think this is gonna slow it down as much as an erc usually would. 

Most storms we watch can't even get down to a 24 mile wide eye. It's hard to imagine that being the outer eyewall.

Of course, Wilma had an eye that was just over 2 miles wide.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Vort message highlights: 911mb, inner eye 5nm, outer eye 30nm, closed. Max inbound 153 kts, max outbound 132kts. Temp inside eye 28C, outside 15c. 

Spoiler

Product: NOAA Vortex Message (URNT12 KWBC)
Transmitted: 8th day of the month at 1:18Z
Agency: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Aircraft: Lockheed WP-3D Orion (Reg. Num. N42RF)
Storm Name: Milton
Storm Number & Year: 14 in 2024 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 10
Observation Number: 22

A. Time of Center Fix: 8th day of the month at 0:47:39Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 21.85N 90.32W
B. Center Fix Location: 77 statute miles (124 km) to the NW (323°) from Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: Not Available
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 911mb (26.90 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 75° at 30kts (From the ENE at 35mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape: Concentric (has an inner and outer eye)
G. Inner Eye Diameter: 5 nautical miles (6 statute miles)
G. Outer Eye Diameter: 30 nautical miles (35 statute miles)
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: Not Available
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound (Undecoded): NA
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 30° at 153kts (From the NNE at 176.1mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 5 nautical miles to the WNW (298°) of center fix at 0:46:23Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: Not Available
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound (Undecoded): NA
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 173° at 132kts (From the S at 151.9mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 4 nautical miles to the E (89°) of center fix at 0:48:51Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 15°C (59°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,454m (8,051ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 28°C (82°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,417m (7,930ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 20°C (68°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: Other - Not surface, 1500ft, 925mb, 850mb, 700mb, 500mb, 400mb, 300mb or 200mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.01 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 161kts (~ 185.3mph) which was observed 4 nautical miles to the WSW (237°) from the flight level center at 22:21:09Z

• FLUSHED 1

• Moderators

Mission 11 vortex: 912 mb, 4nm inner eye closed, 24nm outer eye (open in SW), inbound sfmr winds 155mph, outbound 191mph.   Max flight 182mph. 

Spoiler

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 8th day of the month at 1:19Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF96-5302
Storm Name: Milton
Storm Number & Year: 14 in 2024 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 11
Observation Number: 12

A. Time of Center Fix: 8th day of the month at 1:00:30Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 21.81N 90.28W
B. Center Fix Location: 73 statute miles (118 km) to the NW (323°) from Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,319m (7,608ft) at 700mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 912mb (26.93 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 50° at 13kts (From the NE at 15mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape: Concentric (has an inner and outer eye)
G. Inner Eye Diameter: 4 nautical miles (5 statute miles)
G. Outer Eye Diameter: 24 nautical miles (28 statute miles)
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 135kts (155.4mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 2 nautical miles to the NNW (345°) of center fix at 0:59:30Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 93° at 128kts (From the E at 147.3mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 6 nautical miles to the NNE (28°) of center fix at 0:58:30Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 166kts (191.0mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 3 nautical miles to the W (264°) of center fix at 1:02:00Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 356° at 158kts (From the N at 181.8mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 3 nautical miles to the W (264°) of center fix at 1:02:00Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 13°C (55°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,062m (10,046ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 22°C (72°F) at a pressure alt. of 2,996m (9,829ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 15°C (59°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: 700mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section - Remarks That Were Decoded...

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 158kts (~ 181.8mph) which was observed 3 nautical miles to the W (264°) from the flight level center at 1:02:00Z

Remarks Section - Additional Remarks...

OUTER EYEWALL OPEN SW

• FLUSHED 1

Watch the last couple hours on the loop. Prob ERC related, Milton is injecting roids for the the bodybuilding competition. Getting bigger, a figure skater opening her arms a bit.

Current  model runs have this perilously close to the dreaded , worst angle possible that the Tampa area has been trying to prep for, for years. 

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I think you are thinking of the 1938 hurricane.  1935 made landfall in the Florida Keys.  

Indeed it was 1938.  Created a brand new channel in the barrier islands on Long Island.  Cedar Point Lighthouse in East Hampton was originally on its own island.  The Long Island Express rearranged it so that it was connected to Long Island.  You can now walk to it.

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Recon has 898 mb, but that may not be lowest pressure.

This is not the storm to trifle with.  I hope others heed the warning to get out.