Major Hurricane Milton | Peak 180mph 897 mb | Advisories Discontinued

StretchCT

30 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It is very, very unfortunate, and likely to just increase the setup for disaster.

The problem that come with wide scale devastation is there are 0 time frames. Until any company/organization can see what happened, make a plan, get people in the right direction with the right equipment. That can take days.

Small problem I faced in 2020s Junes derecho from NY -> Maryland. I thought around 800k+ lost power. It took 4 days to get power back, last houses on the line and the only ones without power in the neighborhood, over a tripped fuse… Do I blame the power company? Not really, we just happened to be the lowest priority. After that I knew a generator was mandatory…. But I haven’t fired it up yet. 

Edited by TLChip

A couple of thoughts based on previous comments. 

1. I’m not in favor of Cat 6. Cat 5 is what it is, catastrophe or you will probably die. Where would you even start Cat 6 and what would be the delineating factor? 

2. This could be a very bad day for Orlando as well potentially. 

3. This RI thing is getting out of control. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 5

5 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

Indeed.  Now this is where the intensity at landfall will matter much more than it will for the coastal areas, as it will dictate the magnitude of winds farther inland.  But even something like 80-100 mph winds would cause plenty of issues in an area like Orlando, which would be similar to what Charley brought there.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

A couple ticks north at the end of this loop could be a wobble, or could be the start of the northward curve.

IMG_5148.gif

Great posts here on the Sphere - thank you all. Interesting story in the Washington Post today on how Milton could be devastating to the Tampa area. Mostly focused on storm surge and flooding, here is a brief excerpt:

Spoiler

Warnings about Tampa Bay’s vulnerability have been coming for a long time. In 2015, a Boston firm that analyzes potential catastrophic damage reported that the region would lose $175 billion in a storm the size of Hurricane Katrina. A World Bank study called Tampa Bay one of the 10 most at-risk areas on the globe.

It does not help that the region has barely had a chance to clean up after the last hurricane. Piles of fallen tree limbs and debris line the streets in some neighborhoods, waiting for waste haulers to pick them up. Broken appliances, sodden furniture and wood scraps litter yards. Strong wind gusts from the next hurricane could turn detritus from Helene into projectiles, creating a new threat from the wreckage of the last one.

• THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 2

17 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

A couple of thoughts based on previous comments. 

1. I’m not in favor of Cat 6. Cat 5 is what it is, catastrophe or you will probably die. Where would you even start Cat 6 and what would be the delineating factor? 

3. This RI thing is getting out of control. 

Ideally 160+ winds and 12'+ surge. I think those are the points where it starts to get apocalyptic. For coastal areas only obviously. Rain is a whole different thing. 

• THUMBS UP 1

13 minutes ago, Burr said:

Though not Gulf storms, Maria and Irma come immediately to mind.

Any of the big cape verdes(fun to track for 2 weeks sometimes), it’s so weird only tracking this for 18 hours in the gulf. Lots here have worried about these spinning up when conditions unfold, bathtub water. 

image.thumb.gif.cba9ef2775152e4759a3082b53dd9d28.gif

Not much height in Mexico to cause much interference either.  

My parents have a place right on Sarasota Bay (near Anna Maria Island for those that know the area). Their place took on 4 ft. of water from Helene & suffered serious damage. If this forecast holds of a landfall somewhere near Tampa, they won't have a place left - and insurance isn't an option where they are located...Just awful! 🥲

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • SAD 4
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

My parents have a place right on Sarasota Bay (near Anna Maria Island for those that know the area). Their place took on 4 ft. of water from Helene & suffered serious damage. If this forecast holds of a landfall somewhere near Tampa, they won't have a place left - and insurance isn't an option where they are located...Just awful! 🥲

Regrets to your folks… hope they’re not in the area.  It’s a sad story.  Insurance companies can’t cover the damages without jacking up the rates.  If they jack up the rates, people choose / take the risk not to buy insurance.  Your folks are not alone in that situation.

• THANKS 1

Just now, Burr said:

Regrets to your folks… hope they’re not in the area.  It’s a sad story.  Insurance companies can’t cover the damages without jacking up the rates.  If they jack up the rates, people choose / take the risk not to buy insurance.  Your folks are not alone in that situation.

They are up in Ohio & plan to fly down there next weekend (if there's anything to fly back to...)

• SAD 2

28 minutes ago, Burr said:

A couple ticks north at the end of this loop could be a wobble, or could be the start of the northward curve.

IMG_5148.gif

Definitely moving north of east now…

• BOMBOGENESIS 1

18 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Ideally 160+ winds and 12'+ surge. I think those are the points where it starts to get apocalyptic. For coastal areas only obviously. Rain is a whole different thing. 

If Cat 5 starts at 157, what is the difference?? Additionally, storm surge isn’t defined by winds at time of landfall. This is basically calling the current sports star the Goat and not looking at everything holistically.

• LIKE 2

• Admin

IF you are on the West Coast of Florida you need to be prepared to leave if you are not in an area currently projected to be hit. If you are on the West Coast of Florida and in an area that is in the NHC cone of Uncertainty:

You need to leave. Now.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 3
  • TROPHY 1

4 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

If Cat 5 starts at 157, what is the difference?? Additionally, storm surge isn’t defined by winds at time of landfall. This is basically calling the current sports star the Goat and not looking at everything holistically.

Agreed, at 160+ sustained, you’re already pushing 180-200 gusts. Land goes from green to brown, snapped or vegetation ripped off. Was it Irma that destroyed an island so bad they haven’t really rebuilt? 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Screenshot_20241007_160506_X.jpg

Current recon is sampling the atmosphere at 45000 feet

image.png.abcf99f416aa6291b2b4ead42813df83.png

Mission 10 should be departing within the next few minutes to an hour. Sometime around 20z. But no reports of it up there yet. 

• LIKE 2

22 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

I thought it was 145 or 150. Maybe make it 165 or 170 then. But remember when they saw Jaws and said you're gonna need a bigger boat? I think we're gonna need a bigger category. And the lack of including storm surge as a criteria for categorization is a major shortcoming they should rectify ASAP. A cat 3 with 15 feet of surge into a populated coastal area should be a 5 alarm fire imo. 

• Moderators

Not many models north of Tampa now. Seems Tampa to Ft Meyers is the target. 

image.png.8aa90c834bc542f66dd4e77ead8942f3.png

Taking out the southern outliers and focusing in, it's really Clearwater to Port Charlotte.

image.png.ac5c5723c9ca0ee1a6bcf5f806c42752.png

To an earlier point made by @Psu1313 you can see where Orlando comes into play. I don't know the forward speed at landfall but if it's high and it lands as a high three, that whole corridor to New Smyrna down to Melbourne could see pretty nasty gusts with Lakeland and Orlando even seeing 100mph.  

Now if the storm falls apart like the hurricane models are predicting and it hits as a 2, gusts to 100 would be limited to within a few miles of the coast. 

• THANKS 1

6 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Not many models north of Tampa now. Seems Tampa to Ft Meyers is the target. 

image.png.8aa90c834bc542f66dd4e77ead8942f3.png

Taking out the southern outliers and focusing in, it's really Clearwater to Port Charlotte.

image.png.ac5c5723c9ca0ee1a6bcf5f806c42752.png

To an earlier point made by @Psu1313 you can see where Orlando comes into play. I don't know the forward speed at landfall but if it's high and it lands as a high three, that whole corridor to New Smyrna down to Melbourne could see pretty nasty gusts with Lakeland and Orlando even seeing 100mph.  

Now if the storm falls apart like the hurricane models are predicting and it hits as a 2, gusts to 100 would be limited to within a few miles of the coast. 

I mentioned yesterday that the steering winds indicated the stronger the storm - the more south the track. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1