Cat 4 Hurricane Helene | 140mph 938mb | Landfall Big Bend/Perry

StretchCT

15 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Chimney Rock NC is located just upstream from Lake Lure

Ashvillebeforeandafter.thumb.jpg.771759efe752e7b91f60d9acee392eb8.jpg

Holy shit that is so sad. Literally wiped everything out. I hope there were no casualties here. This is insane.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Hail_On_Me said:

Very sad.  Reminds me of Prattsville, NY in 2011 after Irean.

Yeah Irene in the Catskills for sure. But it's also similar to what we went through a couple of weeks ago in the Oxford CT area, albeit less widespread. And Vermont, several times in the last few years. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Anyone see any storm surge reports in the Big Bend area, east  of Tallahassee, where the eye hit? Amazing how that stuff gets buried once the big pop areas get missed. Just wondering, cuz to me sometimes the max storm surge forecasts seem a bit silly high, kinda like the winds, which at ground level really don’t get near the 140, with gusts to 155 range. Highest winds i saw was 107. Hate, hate that. Did surge really get to the 15-20 range, which was the 130 range forecast?? And it was 140. Old Cranky bitch, and i totally agree there.

Truly, 

Capt. Clueless. I’m really not. Yes you are. 

• Moderators

Steinhatchee had 15 foot surge. The Tampa area had record surge. Not a lot of people live in the Big Bend area right on the water. 

Recordsurgeintampaarea.thumb.jpg.2a382e4b590e03e8bc86e2ab8a2d6643.jpg

Cedar Key was pretty much under water but I don't have the actual surge. But this was the water level real vs predicted. So 11 feet?

image.thumb.png.0339aff81c724ca6f30a71c0d379a264.png

This is the closest station to Perry but it doesn't have the predicted/expected water level

image.thumb.png.689599c31baf3912f54877e576ecda9f.png

• THANKS 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Anyone see any storm surge reports in the Big Bend area, east  of Tallahassee, where the eye hit?

Idk how to embed twitter/x links.

Here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_20240927_230834_Brave.thumb.jpg.53d60289d91d2e94ec2b029dcd1120cb.jpg

Edited by Tater
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 2

Just now, StretchCT said:

Steinhatchee had 15 foot surge. The Tampa area had record surge. Not a lot of people live in the Big Bend area right on the water. 

Recordsurgeintampaarea.thumb.jpg.2a382e4b590e03e8bc86e2ab8a2d6643.jpg

Cedar Key was pretty much under water but I don't have the actual surge. But this was the water level real vs predicted. So 11 feet?

image.thumb.png.0339aff81c724ca6f30a71c0d379a264.png

This is the closest station to Perry but it doesn't have the predicted/expected water level

image.thumb.png.689599c31baf3912f54877e576ecda9f.png

As usual great stuff Stretch, thanks. Steinhatchee , i think was in the 15-20 forecast , east of Talla,  correct??

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

As usual great stuff Stretch, thanks. Steinhatchee , i think was in the 15-20 forecast , east of Talla,  correct??

It was east of landfall. The northern and western sides did sustain a surge from videos I saw but it was maybe 4-5 feet. 

What NC went through is horrible, lives, towns lost and changed forever.  Here in SW Va it was not really more than expected, have to thread through downed trees and utilities in several spots to get out of the neighborhood, but complaining about that seems like crying over a mosquito bite to the guy who was mauled by a grizzly.

IMG_0653.jpeg

• SAD 2
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 2

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What NC went through is horrible, lives, towns lost and changed forever.  Here in SW Va it was not really more than expected, have to thread through downed trees and utilities in several spots to get out of the neighborhood, but complaining about that seems like crying over a mosquito bite to the guy who was mauled by a grizzly.

IMG_0653.jpeg

I LOVE that metaphor JS. Very well done. 

I (finally) got to hear from our friends and family (in laws) that live in W NC from Boone down to Cherokee and over to Ashville region (where the wife and I honeymooned and visit on the regular).

They are physically fine - I don't imagine they are just yet capable of fully processing what their tomorrows will look like. 

They asked for donations to the local Red Cross Chapters across the region - specifically said DO NOT come down and "try to help". At the very least, say a little prayer for them to make it to the next day. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • THANKS 5

I have had many fantastic trips to Boone, Asheville, Hendersonville, and other places in western NC.  Seems unbelievable what has happened.  I know those folks will recover and rebuild but the pain and loss will be felt for a very long time to come.  Prayers for all. 

• THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

IMG_0653.jpeg

For real. Being without power isn't worth complaining about when a lot of people aren't with us anymore or have had their whole houses washed away. I'll fire up the grill and cook what I can before it goes bad. I'll wait it out patiently until the power is restored and you'll not hear me whine. I'll be busy counting my blessings and praying for those not as fortunate. 

• TROPHY 2

2 hours ago, btbucks said:

Still haven't heard from my parents yet. They live around Tryon, NC. We've been to Chimney Rock many times.

I'm guessing electric and cell service is still out. We can see and know the devastation of FL  - kind of relatively accessible. However the W NC region is far less accessible and we might not know their entire story until next week sometime.

I hope your folks can get word out sooner than that somehow. 

• LIKE 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, btbucks said:

Still haven't heard from my parents yet. They live around Tryon, NC. We've been to Chimney Rock many times.

I live just south of Greenville City in SC. Cell phone service is spotty. I have family in Tryon - We can't make it up there currently and there is absolutely no cell phone service. 

Electricity is out everywhere and is expected to be for quite some time. There are no updates on the potential for restoration of power in the Western Carolinas, though over 90%+ of the substations are reportedly significantly damaged and Transmission and Substransmision lines are so damaged, we may be redoing much of the grid to get everyone back on line. 

That withstanding, reports of deaths and injuries are LOW. Keep that in mind. Likewise, the weather is cool, so people are not struggling as much as they could be. I know it's not much solace, but I wanted to provide at least some good news.  

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

It's just soooo remote in some areas

image.png.ea8fb7eebe7d88a57b905e37c53b4e93.png

Was this from your feed? If so - the best thing you -or anyone- could do would be to call emergency services, alert them of the post and convey all the information possible to them. Let them know the address, contact information and request for rescue along with number of souls requesting rescue, including age and species. That is the best way, imo, anyone in this situation can help. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Sentinel said:

Was this from your feed? If so - the best thing you -or anyone- could do would be to call emergency services, alert them of the post and convey all the information possible to them. Let them know the address, contact information and request for rescue along with number of souls requesting rescue, including age and species. That is the best way, imo, anyone in this situation can help. 

It is not from mine. And thankfully, there is a group down there who have reached out telling anyone who needs air support/supplies to let them know. I heard they are inundated with requests and I don't know if Courtney et al, had service to make the appeal. I know others on that feed have offered suggestions. 

• LIKE 1