Cat 4 Hurricane Helene | 140mph 938mb | Landfall Big Bend/Perry

StretchCT

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I already see some chatter online about "where are the huge winds?" 

Well, I doubt very many chasers (if anybody) were positioned on the beach south of Perry given the life threatening storm surge.

Too many don't appreciate the nature of these storms.  I lived through Hugo in SC in 89.  I was 200 miles inland where we took a direct hit from it still at hurricane level.  Our life did not return to close to normal for months, yet you could go 30-45 miles away and it was as if nothing happened.  I think it was the same as it traveled up to Charlotte.  Along the coast it can be quite widespread devastation due to the storm surge and the highest of winds, but as it moves inland it can become more focused.  Then there is the sporadic tornadoes, went to bed last night with a warning, have not heard of damage yet.  But just ask the folks of Asheville if it has to be a hurricane to cause horrible damage.  Being in the line of the never ending rain bands can be as bad or worse than a direct hit from the hurricane. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Too many don't appreciate the nature of these storms.  I lived through Hugo in SC in 89.  I was 200 miles inland where we took a direct hit from it still at hurricane level.  Our life did not return to close to normal for months, yet you could go 30-45 miles away and it was as if nothing happened.  I think it was the same as it traveled up to Charlotte.  Along the coast it can be quite widespread devastation due to the storm surge and the highest of winds, but as it moves inland it can become more focused.  Then there is the sporadic tornadoes, went to bed last night with a warning, have not heard of damage yet.  But just ask the folks of Asheville if it has to be a hurricane to cause horrible damage.  Being in the line of the never ending rain bands can be as bad or worse than a direct hit from the hurricane. 

Whenever I see the words "On line chatter" - I immediately know where the huge winds are - they are emitting from the blow holes of the mouth breathers. 

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 1

One might could make a claim that Helene rems and the ULL are still very nearby even at D10.

Watch this GIF and closely follow the vort energy - how it mixes with the ULL, hangs out in the OH Vly, gets punted along by a cold front, then entrained into the vort max powering the cold front, then lingers and stalls off the NE coast, then gets absorbed again by a Polar Jet Vort. 

Whether any vestige of Helene remain within that chaos is hard to say. Why I said "might could" 

ecmwf_z500_vort_atl_fh12-240.gif

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1

"what people don't understand is that this water is toxic - anything it touches will be coated with a foul smelling toxic slime" - resident in interview. 

It never fails to amaze me how many people get out and wade around in flood water. I live 1 mile from our river and have been to the edge of the flood waters. The smell is noxious, overwhelmingly so - a putrid combination of petroleum and who the hell knows what else, permeates the air - like cigarette smoke in a crowded after hours Jazz bar. It even seems to bond to your clothing if you linger too long. 

Live feed from NC

https://www.wcnc.com/article/weather/list-damage-helene-carolinas/275-fe1ce50a-7d6e-4017-8c30-22f84e10c145

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

"what people don't understand is that this water is toxic - anything it touches will be coated with a foul smelling toxic slime" - resident in interview. 

It never fails to amaze me how many people get out and wade around in flood water. I live 1 mile from our river and have been to the edge of the flood waters. The smell is noxious, overwhelmingly so - a putrid combination of petroleum and who the hell knows what else, permeates the air - like cigarette smoke in a crowded after hours Jazz bar. It even seems to bond to your clothing if you linger too long. 

Live feed from NC

https://www.wcnc.com/article/weather/list-damage-helene-carolinas/275-fe1ce50a-7d6e-4017-8c30-22f84e10c145

I vividly remember durning Sandy helping my buddy save the computers in his hardware store in Little Ferry.   Wading through knee deep flood water and all I could smell was petroleum.   

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
  • Moderators
  • Moderators

Lake Lure, which is overtopping and eroding the sides, empties into the Broad River.  This is the gauge in Blacksburg.  Ultimately the Broad hits a reservoir, then heads into Columbia where it meets up with Saluda river and becomes the Congaree.

image.thumb.png.f45e3e9f2a74c9a3a1809dd9f8ba7b38.png

The Saluda River is also having issues of it's own in Greenville.

image.thumb.png.ff092a2e92785965bf6e656897fcd066.png

The Congaree in Columbia is expected to be close or into major flooding. I don't know if it this accounts for Lake Lure Dam failure. Note the timing is Sun night into Mon morn. So the effects may last several days. 

image.thumb.png.1b57b460596e6bf2ce419e9565b7989d.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1
  • WOW 1
  • TROPHY 1

• Moderators

Didn’t know this thread existed. Was truly amazing watching this cane blow up yesterday. And don’t get me started about my biz insurance rates going way up cuz of all the building bybthe water. Today TWC was at Cedar Key, lamenting about the home destruction. Homes literally sitting 10-15 feet from the Gulf of Mex. Iwhat could possibly go wrong ?

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

TWC keeps mentioning the orographic lift - so much that it's as if they found a new word and can't resist putting it out there. 

As someone who loves to use that word to describe water laden air having to go up and over high terrain, I can dig it. 

53 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Didn’t know this thread existed. Was truly amazing watching this cane blow up yesterday. And don’t get me started about my biz insurance rates going way up cuz of all the building bybthe water. Today TWC was at Cedar Key, lamenting about the home destruction. Homes literally sitting 10-15 feet from the Gulf of Mex. Iwhat could possibly go wrong ?

Hell - we weren't sure you existed either. So...

• LAUGH 3
  • MELTING 1

54 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Same with houses building on the infamous Dune Road here.  Houses about the same distance to the ocean and only what looks like a 5 to 8 foot dune protecting them.  Easily can be taken out by a TS

Update from Asheville, snippets taken from:

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2024/09/27/flood-advisories-in-asheville-wnc-here-are-the-river-levels/75407855007/

In a 12:30 p.m. bulletin, Buncombe County said rivers in the county have not yet crested. The press release urged residents to continue to seek higher ground and shelter in place. Do not drive unless you are moving to higher ground.

Asheville flooding, WNC

NOAA and USGS river gauges show flooding in WNC river basins. The flood stage begins at 9.5 feet, considered minor flooding. 13 feet is considered moderate flooding, while 18 feet is considered major flooding.

French Broad at Asheville - 13.75 feet as of 7:45 a.m. Predicted to peak at 21 feet at 8 p.m.

French Broad at Fletcher - 20.35 feet as of 8:15 a.m. Predicted to peak at a record-breaking 30.5 feet at 8 p.m.

French Broad River near Marshall - 12.21 feet as of 8 a.m. Predicted to peak at 19 feet at 8 p.m.

——

Waters at the North Fork Reservoir have gone over the spillway, leading Buncombe County to order mandatory evacuation for residents

—-

The Haywood County sheriff said to consider all of the county roads closed until further notice due to flooding.

IMG_4865.jpeg
(I have parked my car here, been in that building, and crossed at that crosswalk.  I am sure the water is much higher now than when that photo was taken.  Gotta be over the tracks)

Edited by Burr