Cat 4 Hurricane Helene | 140mph 938mb | Landfall Big Bend/Perry

StretchCT

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

ADT lost the center

image.png.d5097c6ea9409a2e8942542f49234668.png

Do our higher end major hurricanes start off smaller?  

No, not necessarily. The way I understand it is that a smaller, compact storm can intensify quicker than a large, broad storm. I'll take the easy way out and point towards a basic principles w/respect to pressure gradient forces and how that can allow for a more compact storm to ramp up in a much more efficient manner. I'm sorry I cant offer a better explanation 🙃

On a different topic: Helene's impacts aren't going to be tied directly to the wind. The surge and flooding impacts will likely outweigh the wind damage given this set up. The ULL will likely prolong wind impacts further inland as it phases with the system. I'll be curious to watch that interaction [from a nerdy met perspective]. It's impressive to see 10 to 20"+ of rain forecast for the next 48 hours. That's awful news for anyone. That impact will likely be amplified given that it's a widespread area in mountainous terrain. I'll take the trade-off w/ -50f wc's up here.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, clm said:

20 mm

5 minutes ago, Poco said:

How much snow in Philly? 

Well, there is the sun angle to consider, and the ground is quite warm, but Snobal has not thrown the towel yet so there is a chance

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 2

• The title was changed to Hurricane Helene | 110mph 959mb | strengthening

It ain't over til it's over, then it's over... (Berra)

Significant intensification is expected until Helene reaches the coast since the overall atmospheric and oceanic conditions will remain conducive. The amount of strengthening will likely depend on how much the inner core can contract and consolidate. The HWRF and HMON models show significant strengthening to category 4 status, while most of the other models are a little lower

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well, there is the sun angle to consider, and the ground is quite warm, but Snobal has not thrown the towel yet so there is a chance

This. This should be your signature. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

10 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

RAW T back up to 6.2, which on the scale is close to 120kts.  We'll see how long it sticks to that level. CI and AdjT will take a while to catch up.

image.thumb.png.ab7a596de4cb463a7c1c9244d6c5cff7.png

Adj T is now also 6+ - it's gonna go off like Terry Kath guitar solo in 25 or 6 to 4

• The title was changed to Major Hurricane Helene | 120mph 959mb | strengthening alot