Hurricane Debby | peak 80mph 979 mb | downgraded, now a Debby Downer

StretchCT

• Moderators

Some of the folks in the south may laugh at "only" six inches, but much of that rain further north came in <12 hours (sometimes much less, like that 7 inches N. Delaware saw in 3 hours). Further south it was a multi-day affair.

Down here we had four inches on top of wet ground, but it was spread over several days and little ran off. We saw little heavy rain, and the nearby river is about to crest basically right at the threshold for minor flooding. 

I saw the radar looked nasty in PA and upstate NY. That was a lot of rain in a short time.

• Moderators

Most gusts around LI Sound were in the 30s and 40s

image.thumb.png.08a5b5b59e19d2f0db1a16661a415abc.png

Same for Jersey Shore

image.thumb.png.80f20511f698a9321c58b260f2159e9f.png

Chesapeake a little more sporty

image.thumb.png.5f8596d4a79bd4706c6c4d4c3634b578.png

Closer to the center the winds were a little more robust, probably elevation dependant

image.thumb.png.c3c29046c72d20bea29ff65962d6ae03.png

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Still ongoing in NNE but they take the medal for gusts

image.thumb.png.f6e638d9b2ad22ff7534f9d98f22d146.png

Immediate NYC area showing some 50s too

image.thumb.png.56ba0a76f3c3d55fa30b2cf89867bebc.png

Edited by StretchCT

2 hours ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Drove through the smaller tail from Ohilly to New Trip this after and itcwas bad, so can only imagine what it was like in the guts of PA that got smacked. Think we will see some pretty impressive totals .

I tell ya bud, at one point it was reduced vis as if I were watching out the window during a winter storm. I could barely make out the Archery Club House a mere 100 yards away from my door. That is nearly unprecedented so far as rainfall goes. (I use that point of reference when reporting vis during snow storms - if I can't see the outline of the building, it's snowing like a SOB.)

Edit - at that point, the PWATS were 2.5+ and centered near Norfolk VA with a direct 850mb transport up the Chesapeake. That and orographic lift did their usual tag team and that is where the intensity came from - at times, over 2"/Hr

There is widespread moderate damage right up to my valley location - from one end of Harrisburg (near Dauphin Highlands) to literally .3mi down my road at Blue Mountain. And that does not even take into consideration the "other" side of the Susky which saw 1-3" more rain and easily equal winds. 

As was also mentioned, most of that happened in a 4 hour window this morning - after which it spit and squalled until late afternoon. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service New York NY
639 PM EDT Fri Aug 9 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0400 PM     Non-Tstm Wnd Dmg Danbury                 41.40N 73.47W
08/09/2024                   Fairfield          CT   Broadcast Media

Wires down on Rt 53 near Danbury/Bethel
            line.

0611 PM     Non-Tstm Wnd Dmg Danbury                 41.40N 73.47W
08/09/2024                   Fairfield          CT   Broadcast Media

Tree down on a house in East Hayestown Rd
            area.

image.thumb.png.55271de52abf5496a801d0eb900bbfa9.png

Edited by StretchCT

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I tell ya bud, at one point it was reduced vis as if I were watching out the window during a winter storm. I could barely make out the Archery Club House a mere 100 yards away from my door. That is nearly unprecedented so far as rainfall goes. (I use that point of reference when reporting vis during snow storms - if I can't see the outline of the building, it's snowing like a SOB.)

Edit - at that point, the PWATS were 2.5+ and centered near Norfolk VA with a direct 850mb transport up the Chesapeake. That and orographic lift did their usual tag team and that is where the intensity came from - at times, over 2"/Hr

There is widespread moderate damage right up to my valley location - from one end of Harrisburg (near Dauphin Highlands) to literally .3mi down my road at Blue Mountain. And that does not even take into consideration the "other" side of the Susky which saw 1-3" more rain and easily equal winds. 

As was also mentioned, most of that happened in a 4 hour window this morning - after which it spit and squalled until late afternoon. 

Oh my, that was mostly within a 4 hour spread? Wow!

Hope all is well.

Man , she just won’t quit. Still tossin’ tornadoes. What an opener to ‘ cane season.

Can i close with one more ‘cane PPPBP- Pathetic Pun Play-By-Play? 
OK, yes. “Debby Downgrade”.

Story of this season  gonna be ‘canes, and multi- Gulf and East Coast hits. Way beyond my pay grade, but see if in the end it ties in to the endless summer ocean misery for East Coast beach goer’s. Latest, coldest waters i have ever seen due to upwelling, where non -stop southerly and southwesterly winds push the warmer waters out . It’s that whole cold, warm density thang. Anyone notice the non- stop humidity since 2nd week of June? Always a tell-tale signal of what summer holds when THAT starts happening THAT early. 

Really, really think , if “A”, then”B” applies.

• LOVE 1

Models did a pretty nice job overall with this one, imo. Other than the later on shift west , they did pretty eell with the track, nailed the crawl, and overall precip totals. Severe stuff really hard to nail down, but the reported 15-20 inches down south was spot on 👍.