July 13-?, 2024 | Potential MCS Pattern

4 hours ago, cer5059 said:

Hey AA1776, this is ATC, we just received a tornado warning alert so we're going to have to evacuate the tower and ground control is heading in for cover too. Good luck out there and we'll get back to you once the tornado passes. 

Talk about negligence 

They ended up being very fortunate, because it appears there was a tornado near O'Hare at the very least.

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Nice storm here.  Got pretty windy and the power flickered several times, but no signs of damage right here from what I can tell.  I saw several green flashes in the sky that looked like transformers blowing.  

Looks like there were multiple tornadoes in Chicago metro, and might've had something tornadic in the city again for the 2nd night in a row.  

With daylight this morning, I was able to see a couple small branches knocked down along with a couple things that were thrown around.  All in all not bad here though.

LOT says they will be investigating nearly 30 paths of damage.  Here they are, below.  Based on the radar signatures, there was probably a rather large number of QLCS tornadoes.

GSndRn_acAEH_Pn.thumb.jpeg.8d65f84ae6982d0dc726c5cecca2569b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

They ended up being very fortunate, because it appears there was a tornado near O'Hare at the very least.

Crazy that they just left them sitting out there. It wasn't like this storm came out of nowhere; they could see this coming hours ahead of time. I doubt anything will be done, but someone should be held accountable

LOT has confirmed several tornadoes so far, including one that got near the western Loop in Chicago.  That would be the closest documented tornado to downtown Chicago since the May 6, 1876 tornado.  

Edited by Hoosier

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

I'm still a little confused as to whether or not this was a tornado seen on camera

Yeah, I watched that video a couple times last night and again today, and it's hard to be 100% sure.  Nighttime ftl

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, I watched that video a couple times last night and again today, and it's hard to be 100% sure.  Nighttime ftl

Flying to O'Hare is interesting in daytime and nighttime. You can see downtown with the Sears Tower nicely in daytime. You can see the huge spread of the lights and the lack of them over the water at nighttime. There have been times I've flown Denver to Detroit when I could recognize the Sears Tower when the plane was at Port Washington, Wisconsin. And then there's that day I went to O'Hare at Christmastime, when it was zero degrees, the jetway thingy was like 20 degrees, and I'm wearing a t-shirt!

The Sunday evening tornado (not last night) at Midway Airport moved a 737 airplane!

An EF-0 tornado began just west of Midway Airport and tracked over the airport, where it displaced a 737 airplane, slamming it into a jet bridge. The tornado continued east-northeastward through the West Elsdon, Gage Park, New City, and Fuller Park community areas of Chicago, where it primarily caused tree and minor roof damage to homes. The tornado then crossed I-90/I-94, producing additional instances of tree damage as it tracked through the Grand Boulevard and Kenwood community areas before it tracked out over Lake Michigan.

I was trying to prove to myself that I saved a SPC mesoanalysis plot from just before the Super Derecho of 2012. I believe I may have saved a chart that said 9000 J/kg of MUCAPE on possibly Jun 29, 00z. I didn't find the file. But, I have taken some attempts to prove that huge MUCAPE was sitting around in the Midwest just before the event on 00z-12z on Jun 29 2012

ILX.gif

so it was 6000 cape.jpg

mcd1298.gif

• Admin

Guys. Go see “Twisters.” Took my oldest tonight and geeked out through the whole thing. I know it’s probably not scientifically accurate or possible, but watching my kiddo get excited as I am about weather was beyond worth the cost of the ticket. 

Someday I want to see a real one.. that’s not destroying anything and is a safe distance away. So somebody invent a tornado watching bubble, lol.

and I know this is off topic but it’s about severe weather and this is where those folks are most active. 😊

• LIKE 2

LOT has confirmed 19 tornadoes so far from July 15, but they have several areas left to survey so the final total will certainly end up surpassing 20.  

At least 3 tornadoes occurred in Chicago on July 15, and with July 14 producing 2 tornadoes in Chicago, it is the first time on record that the city has had tornadoes on back to back days.  If no additional tornadoes are confirmed, that would make 9 tornadoes in the Chicago city limits just since 2016.  Obviously we are better than we have ever been at identifying areas where tornadoes occurred, but that is still a pretty remarkable run and more like something I would expect in Oklahoma City.  The fortunate thing is that all of those tornadoes have been EF-0 or EF-1.

7 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Guys. Go see “Twisters.” Took my oldest tonight and geeked out through the whole thing. I know it’s probably not scientifically accurate or possible, but watching my kiddo get excited as I am about weather was beyond worth the cost of the ticket. 

Someday I want to see a real one.. that’s not destroying anything and is a safe distance away. So somebody invent a tornado watching bubble, lol.

and I know this is off topic but it’s about severe weather and this is where those folks are most active. 😊

Was wondering how it was.  Thanks for the review.

• LIKE 1

12 hours ago, BuckeyeGal said:

If we can figure out a way, we can make millions - Tornado Zoo. 

What an idea. 

• LOVE 1

Based on what I can tell from the info that has been put out by LOT, one of the tornadoes from Monday evening missed my aunt/uncle by only about 300 yards.  Pretty close for comfort.  They were without power for a while and had some tree damage in their neighborhood, which was evidently straight line wind.  

• FLUSHED 1
  • SAD 1

1 hour ago, ElectricStorm said:

SPC News page says beginning around 8/20, afternoon updates to Day 3 outlooks will become a regular occurrence. Nice little change there 

Cool

NWS Chicago has confirmed 24 tornadoes from July 15, which breaks the record of 22 for a single day in the cwa.  They are still surveying so this number will probably rise.

• LIKE 1

20 hours ago, Hoosier said:

NWS Chicago has confirmed 24 tornadoes from July 15, which breaks the record of 22 for a single day in the cwa.  They are still surveying so this number will probably rise.

who would have thought a squall line would help break this record?

19 hours ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Here’s something you don’t see everyday. A supercell moving due south! 

IMG_1999.jpeg

Storm motions prediction (bunkers-right) predicted the NNE-SSW motion of this storm 16 degrees compass direction. This comes up sometimes with NW flow in the Plains, but supercells don't happen in every instance.

Clipboard01a.jpg

Edited by Chinook

On 7/20/2024 at 2:57 PM, Chinook said:

who would have thought a squall line would help break this record?

That QLCS was crazy... so many areas of rotation.

On 7/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, cer5059 said:

Crazy that they just left them sitting out there. It wasn't like this storm came out of nowhere; they could see this coming hours ahead of time. I doubt anything will be done, but someone should be held accountable

Tornado has been officially confirmed at O'Hare.  Here's the summary:

Based on data from radar, observational data from an automated platform, videos taken nearby, and damage reports provided by local officials, an EF-0 tornado impacted Chicago O'Hare International Airport. The tornado started just southwest of the airport and damaged trees. As the tornado moved over the airport, windows, doors, and exterior paneling and roofing of several terminals were damaged. Carts and loose objects were pushed around or thrown, as well. The tornado appeared to lift just east of Mannheim Road and an area of damage to exterior fences.

• SHOCKED 1
  • FLUSHED 1