April 2-5, 2024 | NE/Mid-Atl "Springter" Nor'Easter

MaineJay

10 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Way more snow loading up on the trees when you go down like 200' in elevation.

32° with moderate snow.

Took forever to try and post this.

Now dropped to 31.6°

PXL_20240404_192024024.jpg

PXL_20240404_192135850.jpg

Yall got more snow in March and April vs DJF lol. 

• THUMBS UP 1

My forecast for the next few days.  Surprised to see chances for snow through Saturday.  I just cleared my driveway of the concrete like snow and snow has picked up in intensity again.

image.thumb.png.bf388f652c3b8e3f3707b1c7ef9183cc.png

• SNOWMAN 1

BTV's forecast discussion talks about the continuing snow and they also mention the potential for avalanche conditions in some areas.

Fcst challenge wl be when does it stop snowing acrs mtns of northern
NY and most of central/northern VT, including the CPV. Given the
synoptic scale setup, we may have issues finding the off switch to
the snow machine tonight into Friday. Product sampling on the slopes
wl be outstanding again on Friday, as free refills are anticipated
overnight into Friday morning.

Given the amount of snow, rates of accumulation and some sleet
occurring last night, which does not promote strong bonding of
new snow/unstable layer, we will be issuing sps to highlight
potential avalanche conditions in the back country of the High
Peaks and Smugglers Notch areas.

• LOVE 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, TheRex said:

Power come back yet?

No, I'm not expecting it until the weekend. I drove out to get gas, and saw no work being done, and there's a lot of work. I can hear chainsaws going in the distance.  I have to stand outside for Internet lol.

• SKEPTICAL 1
  • SAD 3
  • &$!#% 2
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheRex said:

BTV's forecast discussion talks about the continuing snow and they also mention the potential for avalanche conditions in some areas.

Clearly BTV folk are skiers....love it.

Did reach 32F as a high temp, although now back to 31F. Down to a flurry currently...still calling for an additional 2-4" tonight.

IMG_8413.jpeg

• SNOWMAN 1

We had a band of small hail move past about an hour and a half ago. The ULL spitting its last all over us. 

Had just over 4.2" for the first days of April. Our trout season starts Saturday - the local stream are raging -both turbid and turgid. I suspect the fish will be all the hungrier when conditions improve. Just not sure if Saturday is too soon to expect them to VASTLY improve. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, TLChip said:

Yall got more snow in March and April vs DJF lol. 

Snowpack is certainly the deepest it's been.

This is on my makeshift snowboard.

PXL_20240405_101937381.thumb.jpg.371f66ff9258ce033e94ccd46c05a84c.jpg

36 hours later and still snowing.

PXL_20240405_102622651.jpg

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • WOW 1
  • SNOWMAN 3

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Snowpack is certainly the deepest it's been.

This is on my makeshift snowboard.

PXL_20240405_101937381.thumb.jpg.371f66ff9258ce033e94ccd46c05a84c.jpg

36 hours later and still snowing.

PXL_20240405_102622651.jpg

Said to the wife last night "just so you know, we're NEVER moving to Maine - they get craploads of snow in April". (our cousin also lives at base of Mt Washington, not moving there either) 

She said "that's OK, but I still want to visit" 

🙂 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

This is a snowfall map BTV puts out daily.  This map is for snow that fell through 7 am on Thursday.  The highest I see is 32" down in the NY/VT/MA border area.  The updated map from 7 am Thursday to Friday 7 am usually comes out around 10 am.  I'm looking forward to see a storm total map at the end of this.  It is still lightly snow here at 7:45 am.

snowfall.png

• LIKE 1

2 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

(our cousin also lives at base of Mt Washington, not moving there either) 

I want that to be me….

• Moderators

Estimating 14" here...was at 9" at 1:30 yesterday when I moved my car and there is now another 5" in that spot. Settled there is roughly between 11-13" in general

image.thumb.jpeg.5557b29be45b3c2b05ef4c501e1407ab.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a59f1d77cbabbe13a4a7bb6c9a56e630.jpeg

IMG_8415.jpeg

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 2

Here is the snowfall total map from BTV from 7 am Thursday to 7 am Friday.  Storm totals would be to combine this map with yesterday's map.

snowfall.png

Awesome pics up North! Been snowing off an on last day or two in the elevations of Western MD. Get a coating, melts, get a coating, melts rinse and repeat. Big miller B's skip us, then bless us every time. 

20240405_120503.jpg

Edited by MDBlueridge
  • LIKE 5

• Admin

Still spitting a mixture here, but melting day at 37° with the sun trying to break through.

222 still without power. I suspect CMP will be assessing right up until everyone is powered up. Not sure why they even have a website that's supposed to give an estimated restoration time, but always ever says assessing.  Asses

• LIKE 1
  • &$!#% 2

• Admin

150k without power. They are still assessing...

They like telling you how many folks they've restored power too, but won't even give a rough ballpark to the rest of us. Just tell us 5 days so we can plan, then pare it back as you get an idea.  Easy peasy.  Paralysis by analysis is a real thing.

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

They like telling you how many folks they've restored power too, but won't even give a rough ballpark to the rest of us. Just tell us 5 days so we can plan, then pare it back as you get an idea.  Easy peasy.  Paralysis by analysis is a real thing.

What kind of info do they provide?   Here's what First Energy provides for my area.  Not many outages to chose from today, but you get the idea.  Obviously, the 'Estimated Restoration' is just that.

Good luck.

image.png.3ce2f35964cca2da4fda32c91cc5bd12.png     image.png.596d72c8921ddb3b03a8333216093b43.png

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

What kind of info do they provide?   Here's what First Energy provides for my area.  Not many outages to chose from today, but you get the idea.  Obviously, the 'Estimated Restoration' is just that.

Good luck.

image.png.3ce2f35964cca2da4fda32c91cc5bd12.png     image.png.596d72c8921ddb3b03a8333216093b43.png

Captain obvious type "info".

Screenshot_20240406-074128.thumb.png.516b3376f6b34add56459157b9b4a5a2.png

And useless verbal diarrhea like this.

Your outage status will remain assessing until an ETR is established. We know it can be frustrating to be without power but, rest assured, we are on it – working to complete these initial steps of restoration as safely and quickly as possible. Learn more about our Power Restoration process.

Why does my address still say Assessing?

Until a crew is assigned to the outage, the status remains Assessing. Damage assessors determine how many poles are broken, trees need to be removed, transformers need replacing, wires need to be restrung, and what types of crews are needed for each

incident. Once the assessment is completed, the restoration effort can be handed off to field crews to make the repairs. Once a crew is assigned, then an ETR is determined and will be shown on the website and the mobile app and will be sent to customers through Outage Alerts. 

What is assessing?

As the storm subsides, our damage assessor are out in the field getting eyes on the damage to determine how many poles are broken, trees need to be removed, transformers need replacing, wires need to be restrung, and what types of crews are needed for each incident.  This can mean driving the extent of each circuit or, in the case of transmission lines, flying helicopters to assess the damage.  All of this is “assessing” and is critical so that crews respond to outages with the right equipment to make repairs.

blockquote widget

• SAD 1
  • &$!#% 2

My snowfall contest posted 4/2/24 . Whose forecast will be closet to reality for the 4/3-4/6 storm. Here are the current forecasts for Buxton, Maine:

Actual snowfall:  13"

Accuweather  5 -9"

TWC 6 -10"

NWS 11 - 19"

So the NWS wins, way to go gals and guys in Gray.

Power came back on Friday at 5;00 PM

• LIKE 4

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

There is a good discussion about this over on Reddit /r/Maine.

Surprisingly, Versant is pretty good in this regard and does generally give a restoration time. We lost power in the previous storm (last Fri/Sat) and they offered a projected time, bringing power online within that prescribed window. 

This is the fifth statewide major outage just this winter and that is not even including “minor” events like last Saturday when many were without power in Northern Maine. We really need to make the electric infrastructure the #1 priority in Maine, especially as demand is expected to triple by 2030. 

Edit: On a side note, we are still getting snow bands coming though although not really adding up to anything.  A continuation of the mixed precipitation from yesterday. 

• LIKE 5

We are still seeing a little snow this morning but the temps are above freezing.  Jay is reporting 3" overnight which brings their storm total to 35".  Bolton says they received 4" over the last 24 hours, bringing their storm total to 30".  Bolton is also reporting their main lot is full and they are bussing people up from a lower lot.  I bet this is the busiest April ski weekend VT resorts have had in a very long time.

• LIKE 3

• Admin
On 4/4/2024 at 4:53 PM, TheRex said:

Power come back yet?

Came back about 2.5 hours ago. Wife is quite happy to be able to do her hair. 

• LIKE 3

On 4/1/2024 at 8:33 AM, TheRex said:

Here's the latest forecast discussion from BTV.  It looks like the major stuff will be through Thursday night.  Seems like you may have some really good skiing conditions for April.  Having a late sunset on a ski day makes it more enjoyable, at least to me.

we ended up getting DUMPED on - 2 feet

• SNOWMAN 1