April 8, 2024 | Eclipse Weather

Hiramite

45 minutes ago, TheRex said:

Thanks!  I just added Eclipse gum to my shopping list.

Don't forget to top it off with some frozen dessert.

image.thumb.png.30ba4df152fba52f4251231f517c5c82.png

• WOW 1

I think I've found my preferred destination y'all.  Northwest side of Bloomington, IN.  Center line passes right through an area with a BBQ joint and an ice cream place next door.  :classic_biggrin:

• TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think I've found my preferred destination y'all.  Northwest side of Bloomington, IN.  Center line passes right through an area with a BBQ joint and an ice cream place next door.  :classic_biggrin:

Yeah - that WON'T be crowded LOL 

And don't forget to buy/rent a genuine Eclipse to drive to see the Total Eclipse.  The only preferred car for viewing eclipses.

image.thumb.png.ec7ed1d9cb73053f0cc2615f6bc3fc6a.png

Edited by clm
  • WOW 1
  • LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Yeah - that WON'T be crowded LOL 

Right, haha.

I was maybe about 2 miles north of the center line for the 2017 eclipse... totality was like a half second less than being on the center line so it's a negligible difference whether you're on the center line or several miles away.  Most ideal place for me is to be left of the line to some extent as it will help with the drive back home.  The less path of totality that I have to drive through, the better.

• LIKE 1

18z GFS is much weaker with the midwest storm - and a lot slower coming out. Not near as much fetch in front of the trough. 

Bodes well that it's moving towards a more favorable situation for most of us. 

• LIKE 1

Buffalo discussion 

While one of the deterministic models (GFS) now has a surface warm front crossing the Ohio Valley into far southwestern New York late Monday and Monday night. Ensemble model guidance continues to support a warm and dry forecast. With the now introduction of the warm front, high uncertainty remains regarding the total amount of cloud cover and how it will be structured Monday, especially across WNY. Overall the trend the guidance continues to support is increasing cloud cover from west to east throughout the day Monday.

• Admin

GYX

Then ridging is forecast to build into the area just in time for
Mon. As things stand currently the ridge axis is forecast to be just
east of the forecast area Mon afternoon...which could allow for some
high clouds to slip into western zones for the eclipse...but that is
a low confidence cloud forecast.

CAR

Most importantly, for the eclipse on
Monday, we are tentatively looking for mostly sunny skies. It`s
a bit tricky because we likely will be under light to moderate
NW flow which can lead to some cumulus during the day, so it
may not be totally sunny, but should not be mostly cloudy or
cloudy either. If we are lucky, the decrease sunshine from the
eclipse could kill off the cumulus and clear out the skies.
Temperatures will warm to around 50-55 on Monday (though will
cool a few degrees during the eclipse), but temperatures will
be pleasant. However, the warmer temperatures will allow for
recent snow to melt and we will be left with many very muddy
side roads which is a significant concern due to the
dramatically increased travel for eclipse viewing. Also, no
lakes should be considered safe as any ice left is breaking up
fast.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 3

6 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

00z Euro SimRad 2 p.m. on E-day

image.thumb.png.3a7ef5fdc65c0b088f6813b511871e63.png

Verbatim - I don't think there are enough clouds in this depiction, to truly dampen the experience for nearly anyone. "MAYBE" we who are viewing in  NY? Even there I'm not sure those clouds are all fired "deep". 

• THUMBS UP 1

I'm in full snowstorm approaching mode here.  Wake up in the middle of the night, "welp better check the models, oh crap not good".  Can't fall back asleep.

• LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 2
  • MELTING 1

50 minutes ago, Rush said:

I'm in full snowstorm approaching mode here.  Wake up in the middle of the night, "welp better check the models, oh crap not good".  Can't fall back asleep.

Same kind of. It's not affecting my sleep but still. I have umpteen tabs open with various sources/resources relative to the event.  Four and more model pages, NASA sites, WPC, SPC, FB, other blogs and expert discussions. The list waxes and wanes throughout the day.

My wife said all my worrying is a good way to "ruin" things. That, no matter what, we'll be together - meeting new people - making fresh memories, and, generally, having the times of our lives. 

She's right of course, as always. 🙂 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

I read that officials in Bloomington, IN are expecting up to 300,000 people to come in.  If that number is anywhere close to reality... yikes.  Bloomington has a population of like 80k.  It is very near the center line though and I could see some parents using it as an excuse to go visit their kid at IU (classes are cancelled that day).  

• WOW 1

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I read that officials in Bloomington, IN are expecting up to 300,000 people to come in.  If that number is anywhere close to reality... yikes.  Bloomington has a population of like 80k.  It is very near the center line though and I could see some parents using it as an excuse to go visit their kid at IU (classes are cancelled that day).  

This is what makes me ecstatic to live in the path of totality in the confines of my own property 😄, the weather waffling is maddening though 

• THUMBS UP 2

4 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Same kind of. It's not affecting my sleep but still. I have umpteen tabs open with various sources/resources relative to the event.  Four and more model pages, NASA sites, WPC, SPC, FB, other blogs and expert discussions. The list waxes and wanes throughout the day.

My wife said all my worrying is a good way to "ruin" things. That, no matter what, we'll be together - meeting new people - making fresh memories, and, generally, having the times of our lives. 

She's right of course, as always. 🙂 

This is probably you and your wife the evening after the eclipse, having the time of your lives:

Final Dance - The Time of My Life' Full Scene | Dirty Dancing - YouTube

And this will be me.  I have a few drinking buddies coming up to visit for a couple of days.

5 Signs You're Suffering from Bad Hangover | Hangover Cure Blog

7 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

12z

cloudcover.conus.png

Hopefully Texas works out for everyone who is going there, but if it doesn't, it'll be interesting to see what kind of influx that AR/MO gets because of that.  Some fraction of people will be mobile.

7 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

The Blend's Trend.

trend-nbm-2024040313-f125.cloudcover.conus.gif.b90f0f1ebd344c807cd60a2bf05af93c.gif

This would just be icing on the cake, for Ohio weather. No snow. Long, gray, slightly-not-cold enough winters, short summers...
I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with the weather in my home state. Really think I need to move south.