April 8, 2024 | Eclipse Weather

Hiramite

The clouds broke up a bit just in time for us in the 95-99% zone in north central, PA.  Not totally clear, but you could still see it through the clouds.

Great timing!

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I ended up in a church parking lot on the outskirts of Ellettsville, IN.  4 minutes and 3 seconds of totality and clouds were a complete non-issue.  It's unfortunate that the time goes by fast.

May add more later, but one thing I observed this time that did not occur in 2017 was swarming bees.  They were going nuts in the lead-up to totality.  

Also had swarming bees and wasps here. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin

Aside from the surprise heavy snow we recently had on a Christmas Eve, that eclipse was one of the coolest weather moments I’ve ever had. Total darkness. Street lights came on. Could see stars. Just wow.

• LIKE 5
  • LOVE 1

• Admin

My solar filter seized on my lens so I didn't get any shots of the actual eclipse with my primary camera. 

I took a couple seconds messing with her and then decided just to watch the eclipse and enjoy it. In 2044 I'll remember to put anti seize on the threads.😆

IMG_1041.thumb.jpeg.80df6eb66820d7d1c90bba07a64e1578.jpeg

I did get a lot of photos and video leading up to the total phase which I'll process when I get home.

• LIKE 7
  • LAUGH 2

Just now, Snowbelted said:

So glad the gloomy cloud cover forecasts busted. High, thin cirrus did not impede the eclipse at all.

For me it interfered with it every now and then, but for the most part, just had thin wispy clouds and did not impact the viewing.  Once in a while, it would get completely covered and that only lasted a few minutes.  But max coverage (85 to 90% for me) was not impacted.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Taped the lens of the eclipse glasses to the iphone.  These were the best I got. Coming and going.  The light is a little more diffuse than in reality.  It was a real sliver, like a crescent moon

Screenshot2024-04-08at4_27_26PM.thumb.png.b247b177b67f3ab11fe6beb8a454fa06.png

Screenshot2024-04-08at4_29_05PM.thumb.png.9eaacd12963d43ff77b3ab8bb10fe780.png

• LIKE 6
  • LOVE 2

Just now, Hiramite said:

Awesome stuff!  Here’s one of many.

IMG_6368.jpeg

The big bright light on the bottom has to be the Old Man In The Moon

• LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, beaver56 said:

Have to love Samsung cell cameras. No filter and 200 mega pixels. 

20240408_150944.jpg

What pixel model?  Also, what feature do you have to turn on to get a shot like that?  I have a Pixel 5 but I don't think mine can do that.

• THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1