April 8, 2024 | Eclipse Weather

Hiramite

Heading to Ellettsville, IN.  Making great timing so may wander into Bloomington for a bit just to observe the hoopla there.  Hopefully clouds won't be an issue or else may try to reposition last minute.

Edited by Hoosier
  • LIKE 3

3 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Just entered the zone of totality in Bingham, ME. 60° and clear skies, plenty of traffic.

Soooo similar to the twilight zone?  🤪

• LAUGH 1

6 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Feel like a 7yr old at Christmas. 

I reserved a minivan so I could take my whole gang.  When picking it up from the airport, all the discussion was about the eclipse.  The folks at the desk said people were coming in from everywhere, even some NASA peeps had come through.   Turns out they were running out of vehicles, but when they learned I was a local, they upgraded me to a monster, brand new Wagoneer.  Calling it the Eclipsemobile.  I paid the 29$ for the damage waiver and told them I'd be taking her offroad up at the The Forks.  Psyched to have 4 wheel drive.  Gonna throw a tow strap in the back in case I have to help anyone in the mud.   Hoping to give the kids an adventure. 

Sending out positive, cloud killing vibes to everyone!

Here's the sky view for folks watching at home.

ezgif-5-c8394272e1.thumb.gif.078810066525125da298d2c9c5d1198b.gif

https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=7200&y=2656&z=1&angle=0&im=18&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&maps[borders]=white&maps[nasa_svs_upath_lo]=black&maps[nasa_svs_duration]=pink&maps[nasa_svs_center]=gold&p[0]=geocolor&opacity[0]=1&pause=0&slider=-1&hide_controls=1&mouse_draw=0&follow_feature=0&follow_hide=0&s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6

I felt like a 7-year- old at Christmas on December 25, 1968. I would see my first partial eclipse only 15 months later, in March 1970. Lol.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

About to leave my house now and head to a park in Harrison Ohio. When I mapped it 2 days ago it said it was 30 minutes away but GPS right now is saying 50 minutes, Looks like there’s a lot of traffic. Glad totality wasn’t too far away. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

12 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The loop of that is my hope rn. Vmon clearing

UTS, is this GOES East or another site?  I've been trying to use GOES East the last 30 minutes but get no response.  Maybe it's overloaded. 🤔🤔

I'm on the IU campus in Bloomington and there's a good amount of people out and about.  Looks like they have their football stadium open for viewing.  Still scouting out a final spot. 

Forecast of potential cloudiness limiting influx of eclipse viewers in Ohio? Traffic cams and google maps currently showing mostly low volume and minimal issues.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

On site in Medina OH (just west of Akron).  A few patchy clouds but nothing to worry about. Could have stayed home but decided yesterday to “go west”.  By traveling, I’ll get to experience a little more of the, um, total (eclipse) experience. Plus I gained 11 seconds of totality. Traffic on the Turnpike was just a little heavier than normal, but certainly more out of state plates, primarily PA & MD. All in all after all the cruddy weather, it’s certainly a splendid day here in N OH.   Happy viewing.

• LIKE 3

18 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

very high clouds overtaking the state, but should be very minimal impact to viewing 

Yea its very minimal atm if any impact. T-2 hours~ so hopefully it holds. Perhaps we can't see many stars or planets but the sun/moon are the main show anyway

• LIKE 1

Headed to the family event from a location that shaves off a few seconds from my house but its better to witness it with family and friends. 

Edited by junior
  • LIKE 1

Had to drive 30 minutes north from Wilmington to Xenia OH totality should only be 1 min 20 sec here but it's sunny with minimal high clouds and glad to witness this event. Got my eclipse glasses ready. 🌞🌝😎

• LIKE 2