April 8, 2024 | Eclipse Weather

Hiramite

• Moderators

For the N OH gang, CLE put out an off-hour eclipse/cloud update at 7PM.

Confidence is increasing in low clouds associated with the warm
 front remaining in Northwest Pennsylvania, with an area of
 overcast skies becoming more likely. This could extend into the
 far eastern tier of Northeast Ohio counties (e.g. Ashtabula,
 Trumbull, and Mahoning but we`ll see. Areas along and west of
 I-77 should be cleared of the warm front low clouds.
-Confidence is also increasing in areawide upper-level cirrus
 overspreading much of the region. The 18Z HRRR/NAM and 21Z RAP
 are showing enough moisture centered on the 300mb layer for
 some cirrus, and you can actually currently observe this on
 satellite over northwest Mexico and southern Arizona/New
 Mexico. Even if the cirrus is technically "overcast", it
 shouldn`t be thick enough to completely obscure the eclipse for
 those of you not blocked by remaining low-level clouds,
 although it may not necessarily be as clear of a view as
 perfect blue skies.

5 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Lol. We have room for one more! Just have to listen to my kids say,  "are we there yet?" and ,"how many more minutes is it?", for 130 miles.  Likely beginning with 129 miles to go...

047513a8-475f-46a4-8ed8-f98114dcd865_tex

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Wayuphere said:

NOAA Caribou latest discussion:
“Eclipse Day! Starting the day generally full sunshine with sunrise expected just before 6AM. There may be a few clouds across the north but very few and far between. 500mb ridge washes out over the area tomorrow with ridging to our west and surface high moving into Central Quebec. Dry air is in place with full sunshine expecting temperatures to warm rapidly given the warmer airmass overhead. Modeled soundings are doing a great job showing a well mixed atmosphere up to 875-850mb tomorrow so expecting N-NW winds 10-15mph. Dew points will rapidly fall as temperatures warm into the afternoon expecting relative humidities to drop to 30-35% with some lower values possible. It is a downslope wind off the Longfellow Mtns tomorrow so expected the warmest temperatures in the Greater Bangor area, Interior Downeast and the coast. That being said expected highs in the mid 50s across the north with upper 50s to low 60s across the Highlands and Downeast coast. Right along the shore and on the islands expecting low to mid 50s with the colder Gulf of Maine waters nearby. Warm temperatures will result in significant snowpack melting as the pack is very ripe which in turn will make dirt roads extremely difficult to travel and eclipse viewers should avoid them.
Eclipse Time! 2:20PM-4:40PM. We are looking at a backdoor cold front in the weakness of the ridge to our west. This will work into northeast Aroostook County around the time of the eclipse. Models continue to poorly handle this scenario which is very typical with backdoor fronts in April. Timing differences between before the eclipse to during to after the eclipse. The blend of the guidance suggests it arrives in the afternoon near eclipse time. Expecting an uptick in puffy diurnally driven cu to develop. These will mainly be across the sky of Aroostook County potentially extending down to Northern Penobscot County near Patten. Will the sky become overcast? Not likely at this point since this is a very dry cold front but at the same time not expecting perfect clear skies either. That being said much if not all of the CWA will have incredible views of this Total Solar Eclipse. As we approach totality do not be surprised if temperatures fall 10-15F before rebounding some after totality. Lastly, the next Total Eclipse to pass over Maine wont be till 2079...so we hope you enjoy it to those that can! “

This concerns me a bit while rationalizing my desire to gain seconds of totality by moving further south. In the end I’m going to pull up the HRRR at go time and make a call. 

• THUMBS UP 2

IT'S HERE!!

After all this viewing and model chasing and anxiety. I wrote a humble ode to the avenement.

On the morn we set forth before Sol catches us leaving, to witness the umbrella dance. On an intercept course lest we somehow remorseful return without story nor prize.

Then bid us farewell without sorrow. We'll all still regard the same sky, lifted upward to rendezvous there. And we'll all then return to tell stories of when - or so to the best we recall. - 
🙂
Safe travels and HAPPY VIEWING to all!
Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 2
  • THINKING 1
  • LOVE 3

• Admin

Feel like a 7yr old at Christmas. 

I reserved a minivan so I could take my whole gang.  When picking it up from the airport, all the discussion was about the eclipse.  The folks at the desk said people were coming in from everywhere, even some NASA peeps had come through.   Turns out they were running out of vehicles, but when they learned I was a local, they upgraded me to a monster, brand new Wagoneer.  Calling it the Eclipsemobile.  I paid the 29$ for the damage waiver and told them I'd be taking her offroad up at the The Forks.  Psyched to have 4 wheel drive.  Gonna throw a tow strap in the back in case I have to help anyone in the mud.   Hoping to give the kids an adventure. 

Sending out positive, cloud killing vibes to everyone!

Here's the sky view for folks watching at home.

ezgif-5-c8394272e1.thumb.gif.078810066525125da298d2c9c5d1198b.gif

https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=7200&y=2656&z=1&angle=0&im=18&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&maps[borders]=white&maps[nasa_svs_upath_lo]=black&maps[nasa_svs_duration]=pink&maps[nasa_svs_center]=gold&p[0]=geocolor&opacity[0]=1&pause=0&slider=-1&hide_controls=1&mouse_draw=0&follow_feature=0&follow_hide=0&s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 4

• Moderators

It's E-day!!!   Good luck viewers.

3Z SREF, mean of last two runs.  Big difference between Cloud Cover and Cloud Thickness.

cloudcover_tle_2-mean.conus.png?cb=738241

blockedinsol_tle_2-mean.conus.png?cb=984079

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

We skied yesterday and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I'm hoping the clouds don't move into our area until after the eclipse. 

IMG_20240407_135811481_HDR.thumb.jpg.71d70e7e51e96a5532a3e22609d31aa5.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

28 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Feel like a 7yr old at Christmas. 

I reserved a minivan so I could take my whole gang.  When picking it up from the airport, all the discussion was about the eclipse.  The folks at the desk said people were coming in from everywhere, even some NASA peeps had come through.   Turns out they were running out of vehicles, but when they learned I was a local, they upgraded me to a monster, brand new Wagoneer.  Calling it the Eclipsemobile.  I paid the 29$ for the damage waiver and told them I'd be taking her offroad up at the The Forks.  Psyched to have 4 wheel drive.  Gonna throw a tow strap in the back in case I have to help anyone in the mud.   Hoping to give the kids an adventure. 

Sending out positive, cloud killing vibes to everyone!

Here's the sky view for folks watching at home.

ezgif-5-c8394272e1.thumb.gif.078810066525125da298d2c9c5d1198b.gif

https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=7200&y=2656&z=1&angle=0&im=18&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&maps[borders]=white&maps[nasa_svs_upath_lo]=black&maps[nasa_svs_duration]=pink&maps[nasa_svs_center]=gold&p[0]=geocolor&opacity[0]=1&pause=0&slider=-1&hide_controls=1&mouse_draw=0&follow_feature=0&follow_hide=0&s=rammb-slider&draw_color=FFD700&draw_width=6

What a great way to start a great day. Your whole family will remember this day for their entire life. Good luck with your eclipse experience. 

Let me be the first to ask, "Are we there yet?".

• LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 2

• Admin
2 minutes ago, TheRex said:

What a great way to start a great day. Your whole family will remember this day for their entire life. Good luck with your eclipse experience. 

Let me be the first to ask, "Are we there yet?".

My daughter 7, drew this the other day.  She is very excited. 

20240408_061536.thumb.jpg.7146c64511042375884c974c983e238b.jpg

• LOVE 6

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

My daughter 7, drew this the other day.  She is very excited. 

20240408_061536.thumb.jpg.7146c64511042375884c974c983e238b.jpg

Ok, that just might have to become the wxsphere logo, lol. Very cute!

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2

48 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

200 years of eclipses.

image.thumb.png.e6386d36e2937c61e06b52311afabcdd.png

I just put a $200 deposit down on a Nile River Cruise in 2027.  

Cloudiest day in history of Egypt coming up 

• FACEPALM 2
  • SHIVERING 1

The husband and I are taking a short drive to Bowling Green for the eclipse.  Right now I can see the sun so I'm pretty confident we'll be good for the big show. 

I'm just as excited about the weather today.  It's going to be beautiful! 

• LIKE 4

Good luck to everyone today!  If you're able to see the eclipse, it will move you in some way.  Whether it's joy, tears, awe, or whatever.  If it doesn't, then quite frankly there's something wrong with you.  :classic_wink:

Still not quite sure where I'm headed.  Will grab some breakfast and then make a decision.  Pretty much know I'm not remaining in Indy (want to get as close to center as possible and avoid the extra traffic that will be occurring in the Indy area).

• LIKE 4

• Admin

Given the very wet pattern we're in, and given what looked like possible rain here in not-that-long-ago model runs, I was SO GRATEFUL this morning to drive into school in the sunshine. (We don't have the whole day off.. just an early release.) I bought Sun Chips, Sunkist, and Cosmic Brownies for my fam to celebrate. 🙂 Good luck, all!

• LIKE 5
  • LOVE 1