April 8, 2024 | Eclipse Weather

Hiramite

Just now, MaineJay said:

I'd call that 92% tops.

I'll be very happy with this level of cloud cover tomorrow.  Won't even impact pictures. 

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Phone test with mostly cloudy skies. Obviously totality can't shine through like this, but can still see a crisp, circular sun through the glasses too.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-New_England-truecolor-13_01Z-20240407_map_noBar-12-1n-10-100.gif

PXL_20240407_125745709~2.jpg

Our last partial eclipse worked out pretty well with clouds.  You could actually see the disk for a short periods of time without damage. We were between 60 and 70% for that one. Tomorrows is 90.

image.thumb.jpeg.dee49823c65983fe8f9dffaa44251e51.jpeg

It's just crazy that at one point it looked like most of the path would be clear, that the surface map looks good but now...

image.thumb.png.d446c666a9171943e0233ff6c8f3c099.pngimage.thumb.png.118ee09034178b684cef57725788a550.png

image.thumb.png.b915d5fe9ffd5575083966861f6538a0.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

Just took one of the lens from the glasses and made a filter for the go pro to do a timelapse.  Gotta say the sun is really small in it. I can't test it out further because its completely clouded over here.

image.thumb.png.c077849d0aeeb0a2831c5e2e2ba63691.png

Maybe not for this thread but it’s probably one of the most active so putting here anyway

My buddy is putting his house on market and the realtor was filming a video for the listing at exact time earthquake came thru

Have the volume turned up so you can hear it coming, though the loud burst when it rumbles underneath is very loud 

Be careful, he swears at the end LOL

most videos are just cameras shaking, maybe pets freaking , but very few have audio 

• LIKE 6
  • WOW 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Miller A said:

Maybe not for this thread but it’s probably one of the most active so putting here anyway

My buddy is putting his house on market and the realtor was filming a video for the listing at exact time earthquake came thru

Have the volume turned up so you can hear it coming, though the loud burst when it rumbles underneath is very loud 

Be careful, he swears at the end LOL

most videos are just cameras shaking, maybe pets freaking , but very few have audio 

earthquake.mov

"Was that an earthquake or a bomb?" #2024. 

On the road, still over 100 miles from Indy and having some traffic slowdowns on I-65.  In contrast, I don't really remember any traffic on the way down into southern IL on the day before in 2017.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

On the road, still over 100 miles from Indy and having some traffic slowdowns on I-65.  In contrast, I don't really remember any traffic on the way down into southern IL on the day before in 2017.

Google maps indicates it's an accident near Edinburgh. 

• Moderators

Been hitting refresh all day, but still no invite from @Mainiac or @MaineJay so gonna have to go to Plan B.  Going drive 30 miles west in the AM to improve my odds of reduced cloud cover.

15z SREF

image.thumb.png.d8fc7eaee83c54b71a524786dd255677.png

• LOVE 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Been hitting refresh all day, but still no invite from @Mainiac or @MaineJay so gonna have to go to Plan B.  Going drive 30 miles west in the AM to improve my odds of reduced cloud cover.

15z SREF

image.thumb.png.d8fc7eaee83c54b71a524786dd255677.png

Lol. We have room for one more! Just have to listen to my kids say,  "are we there yet?" and ,"how many more minutes is it?", for 130 miles.  Likely beginning with 129 miles to go...

• LAUGH 4

AFDBUF ...MONDAY AFTERNOON CLOUD FORECAST...

The key to the sky forecast will be the location of thicker
cloud cover associated with the weak warm frontal boundary. For
locations east of Lake Ontario, it will be mainly high cloud
cover which is unlikely to completely obscure the sky. For the
rest of Western NY from Oswego westward, there will be mid-
level cloud cover which may be thick enough to obscure the sun.
Satellite imagery shows this area moving into Western Ohio this
afternoon, and it also shows some breaks in the cloud cover. So
it`s possible that even within this band of cloud cover the
eclipse will be viewable either in the breaks or through areas
of thinner cloud cover.

Love some real time obsx mixed into the discussions. 🙂 

Fingers crossed tightly. 

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Google maps indicates it's an accident near Edinburgh. 

I'm coming from north of Indy, not south.  Didn't seem to be any accidents but in any case, things have been moving along nicely now.

• THANKS 1

9 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I'm beginning to lose hope in our spot here near Watertown NY. All I got left is "it ain't over til it's over"

south-park.gif.a22208a6e87d38b5fa09748d8ca1d502.gif

• LAUGH 1

NOAA Caribou latest discussion:
“Eclipse Day! Starting the day generally full sunshine with sunrise expected just before 6AM. There may be a few clouds across the north but very few and far between. 500mb ridge washes out over the area tomorrow with ridging to our west and surface high moving into Central Quebec. Dry air is in place with full sunshine expecting temperatures to warm rapidly given the warmer airmass overhead. Modeled soundings are doing a great job showing a well mixed atmosphere up to 875-850mb tomorrow so expecting N-NW winds 10-15mph. Dew points will rapidly fall as temperatures warm into the afternoon expecting relative humidities to drop to 30-35% with some lower values possible. It is a downslope wind off the Longfellow Mtns tomorrow so expected the warmest temperatures in the Greater Bangor area, Interior Downeast and the coast. That being said expected highs in the mid 50s across the north with upper 50s to low 60s across the Highlands and Downeast coast. Right along the shore and on the islands expecting low to mid 50s with the colder Gulf of Maine waters nearby. Warm temperatures will result in significant snowpack melting as the pack is very ripe which in turn will make dirt roads extremely difficult to travel and eclipse viewers should avoid them.
Eclipse Time! 2:20PM-4:40PM. We are looking at a backdoor cold front in the weakness of the ridge to our west. This will work into northeast Aroostook County around the time of the eclipse. Models continue to poorly handle this scenario which is very typical with backdoor fronts in April. Timing differences between before the eclipse to during to after the eclipse. The blend of the guidance suggests it arrives in the afternoon near eclipse time. Expecting an uptick in puffy diurnally driven cu to develop. These will mainly be across the sky of Aroostook County potentially extending down to Northern Penobscot County near Patten. Will the sky become overcast? Not likely at this point since this is a very dry cold front but at the same time not expecting perfect clear skies either. That being said much if not all of the CWA will have incredible views of this Total Solar Eclipse. As we approach totality do not be surprised if temperatures fall 10-15F before rebounding some after totality. Lastly, the next Total Eclipse to pass over Maine wont be till 2079...so we hope you enjoy it to those that can! “

• LIKE 1

ILN

.SHORT TERM /6 AM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
Rain coverage becomes less extensive across our eastern counties
early Monday morning. Any lingering rain expected to dissipate
near or shortly after sunrise on Monday. Drier air will
begin to build back in across the lower and middle levels of
the atmosphere. This will allow for erosion of the lower level
clouds, which will begin to occur for our eastern IN counties by
the late morning hours. This will continue to translate
eastward through Monday afternoon. It will be cutting it close
for our central OH counties down through north-central KY on
whether low clouds will prohibit any viewing of the eclipse.
Even if the lower clouds don`t quite clear out of those
counties, it does appear that there should be enough breaks to
help with viewing potential. However, a plume of high level
(cirrus) clouds will overspread majority of our CWA Monday
afternoon. While the sky could be completely covered by these
cirrus clouds for a number of locations, these kinds of clouds
will still be transparent enough for the ability to view the
eclipse.

• THANKS 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Actual vs current HRRR vs 5 hrs earlier.

Moving faster than modeled???

IMG_6329.jpeg

IMG_6330.png

IMG_6331.thumb.png.848dbb4f8fe67998f93f7823fcff88d8.png

Edited by Hiramite