March 21-April 3, 2024 | Severe Weather/Potential Tornado Outbreak

• Meteorologist
Posted (edited)

Looks like once this round of showers/storms passes through the actual destabilization occurs. You can see easily see the cold front on satellite too. It's a fairly narrow corridor of destabilization but should still be enough for southern Indiana, Kentucky, and probably SW OH.

I'd also be watching that stationary/warm front north of I-70 later. Storm motion is mostly parallel to that.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-OH_RV-truecolor-16_36Z-20240402_map-plot_noBar-24-1n-5-100.gif

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

5 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Looks like once this round of showers/storms passes through the actual destabilization occurs. You can see easily see the cold front on satellite too. It's a fairly narrow corridor of destabilization but should still be enough for southern Indiana, Kentucky, and probably SW OH.

I'd also be watching that stationary/warm front north of I-70 later. Storm motion is mostly parallel to that.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-OH_RV-truecolor-16_36Z-20240402_map-plot_noBar-24-1n-5-100.gif

The 15z HRR seems to agree with you regarding the the storms lining up horizontally along the warm front north of 70:

image.thumb.png.d492c1c3b63ef8d1f115ffaca1bf239f.png

14 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

1 minute ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Everyone on social media is freaking out and saying it's "storm cancel." Oh mylanta.

this afternoon cluster is probably everything in terms of what happens behind it, models are doing a poor job at initializing how much rain there actually is right now in that cluster

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, cperry29 said:

Would be welcome news if it plays out that way and doesn’t catch KY off guard.

I don't know about this post from Simon.  I guess it depends on what is "significant" in terms of instability, but it sure looks to me like we will get decent destabilization north of the Ohio River, especially paired with this kinematic environment.  The bigger question is how far north of the river does the better destabilization extend. 

These kind of setups with a rapidly strengthening system are prone to fast airmass recovery unless there's a compelling reason for it not to occur.  The ongoing convection will have to be pretty widespread/persistent imo to mitigate the overall threat.  

• THUMBS UP 1

5 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

this afternoon cluster is probably everything in terms of what happens behind it, models are doing a poor job at initializing how much rain there actually is right now in that cluster

the 16z has it falling apart before the real concern behind it, I think that will be the first indication on if models even had a clue. I can tell you though that if/when this first round moves through as garden variety which is appears will be the case. People will be up in arms thinking that was it

floop-hrrr-2024040216.refcmp.us_ov.gif

6 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Everyone on social media is freaking out and saying it's "storm cancel." Oh mylanta.

I think it's always better to be cautious and remain on guard in these situations.  Really requires hourly analysis to keep an eye on how the environment is evolving.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I don't know about this post from Simon.  I guess it depends on what is "significant" in terms of instability, but it sure looks to me like we will get decent destabilization north of the Ohio River, especially paired with this kinematic environment.  The bigger question is how far north of the river does the better destabilization extend. 

These kind of setups with a rapidly strengthening system are prone to fast airmass recovery unless there's a compelling reason for it not to occur.  The ongoing convection will have to be pretty widespread/persistent imo to mitigate the overall threat.  

I’m fearful you’re right. I was hopeful this convection would be the stabilizing factor we needed to calm things down. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, OxfordOh_ said:

Gotta stay off twitter people were calling today a “bust” before noon. We are not out of the woods my any means yet. I’m starting to get a bit worried myself 

Probably too many peeps looking at yesterdays Hi Rez Tornado signature maps.  Crazy high yesterday.  Thankful less so today but still potential...

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
   Tornado Watch Number 76
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1210 PM CDT Tue Apr 2 2024

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of 
     Southeast Illinois
     Southwest Indiana
     Western Kentucky
     Extreme southeast Missouri

* Effective this Tuesday afternoon and evening from 1210 PM until
     600 PM CDT.

* Primary threats include...
     A few tornadoes likely with a couple intense tornadoes possible
     Scattered large hail and isolated very large hail events to 2
       inches in diameter likely
     Scattered damaging winds likely with isolated significant gusts
       to 75 mph possible

SUMMARY...Scattered supercell development is expected along a wind
   shift from extreme southeast Missouri into southeast Illinois early
   this afternoon, and additional storms will form and move into
   western Kentucky and southwest Indiana through the afternoon.  The
   environment favors fast-moving supercells capable of producing
   tornadoes (a couple of which could be strong/EF2), large hail of 1-2
   inches in diameter, and damaging gusts of 60-75 mph.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 60 statute miles
   east and west of a line from 40 miles north of Evansville IN to 40
   miles south southwest of Paducah KY. For a complete depiction of the
   watch see the associated watch outline update (WOUS64 KWNS WOU6).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A Tornado Watch means conditions are favorable for
   tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch
   area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for
   threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements
   and possible warnings.

&&

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 75...

AVIATION...Tornadoes and a few severe thunderstorms with hail
   surface and aloft to 2 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind
   gusts to 65 knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. Mean
   storm motion vector 24050.

...Thompson

Pretty decent probs

Tornadoes

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

Mod (60%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (EF2-EF5) tornadoes

Mod (30%)

Wind

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

Mod (60%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

Mod (30%)

Hail

Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

Mod (60%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

Mod (60%)

Combined Severe Hail/Wind

Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

High (>95%)

ww0076_radar.gif

7 minutes ago, RobB said:

Probably too many peeps looking at yesterdays Hi Rez Tornado signature maps.  Crazy high yesterday.  Thankful less so today but still potential...

I agree. Glad it’s calm down some just afraid we will have a 2-3 hour window of destabilization after this round of storms move through question is how much? 

• THUMBS UP 2

6 minutes ago, OxfordOh_ said:

I agree. Glad it’s calm down some just afraid we will have a 2-3 hour window of destabilization after this round of storms move through question is how much? 

Totally...Agreed...

• LIKE 1