Winter 2024-2025 | Discussion and Outlooks

On 9/17/2024 at 1:44 PM, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Just for reference, interestingly enough we've had more weak ninas than ANYTHING (by a slim margin over weak ninos), 2022-2023 sucked, but not as bad as 2023-2024

image.png.dbc5a232c3586ce89cbcdd6fbf9a0878.png

Trying to figure out why so many winters aren't listed at all... Neutral winters?

10 hours ago, AceGikmo said:

Trying to figure out why so many winters aren't listed at all... Neutral winters?

I can’t remember the last time we had a neutral winter lol. It just seems like La Niña or El Niño is always the theme for the cold season.

4 hours ago, SOMOSnow said:

Weatherbell Winter forecast is warm. The yellow is +1 to +3. Never saw JB predict a warm Winter before. 

Screenshot_20240925_181344_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shocking. He’s always one to find a cold pattern for winter.

• LIKE 2

On 9/25/2024 at 6:17 PM, SOMOSnow said:

Weatherbell Winter forecast is warm. The yellow is +1 to +3. Never saw JB predict a warm Winter before. 

Screenshot_20240925_181344_Samsung Internet.jpg

This gives me hope: if JB is predicting mildness, maybe there will be some big-time polar vortexes visiting us. I hope that they will come with a major snowstorm or two for St. Louis 

• LIKE 1

51 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Well doesn't really get much worse than this. I'm going to hold out hope that if it can all turn out as ass backwards as last winter then it can be ass backwards this winter as well. 

• LIKE 1

33 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Well doesn't really get much worse than this. I'm going to hold out hope that if it can all turn out as ass backwards as last winter then it can be ass backwards this winter as well. 

The problem is, if it turns out backwards, it's still going to be warm. Just very few scenarios anymore that gets us colder than average weather. 

• Admin
On 9/29/2024 at 5:35 PM, BoroBuckeye said:

Anyone know where you can find the northern hemisphere snow cover/mass time series relative to normal?

There's this

Screenshot_20241001-060513.thumb.png.83242eecc1e327433af25913843a1017.png

https://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_daily.php?ui_year=2024&ui_day=274&ui_set=2

And this

multisensor_4km_nh_snow_extent_by_year_graph(5).thumb.png.4d3c5652041bc7f1db63c6f9b13aee89.png

https://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_daily.php?ui_year=2024&ui_day=274&ui_set=2

On 9/30/2024 at 12:35 AM, SnowloverSid said:

This gives me hope: if JB is predicting mildness, maybe there will be some big-time polar vortexes visiting us. I hope that they will come with a major snowstorm or two for St. Louis 

This also should give a glimmer of hope to the snow-weenies (*term of affection) in here. 

I have, for decades, called JB "the perfect reverse barometer" - so often his call is as near 180 degrees out of kilter that it's laughable. He and Henry M - in my book nearly useless at long range predictions (and many short range ones as well) 

• LIKE 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Grace said:

Gotta always love a slpw start. 😑

Lol, the good thing is that these can change in a hurry.   

The pattern heading into mid month looks like some -EPO, +PMA, -NAO.  Hopefully this is something we see a few times this winter.  I'm not really sure where I fall in the fence with regard to fall pattern translating to a winter one. 

Hopefully it materializes, and is a sign that we get a few fun storms.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_61.png

eps_z500a_namer_61.png

• LIKE 3

On 9/30/2024 at 3:32 PM, Pghsnow said:

Nice article, especially as someone who is not a weather SME.  Most of the forecasts I have been seeing have the midwest around normal, which would honestly be a great winter compared to the last few.  Between that, and reliability of long term forecasts have me cautiously optimistic, especially since we're still ~60 days out from meteorological winter.

• LIKE 1

37 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Well if the wooly bear has anything to say about it this would actually mean winter would be winter when it’s supposed to be which is fine start mild in November turn around Christmas I’m  in northeast Ohio. Trust nature I hope so 

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

I found a nearly all black one yesterday.  

• SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 3

On 10/3/2024 at 2:15 PM, ohioktm250 said:

I found a nearly all black one yesterday.  

Not to doubt you at all - I just wonder how many folks realize that there are several species of all black caterpillars that are pretty tough to discern from the Wooly Worm (Bear) and there is even an all white variant of the true WB. 

Can't we just ask Phil or find the Persimmon Lady? Maybe we can dump some scarabs into a jar lid and watch them scurry around - like they did in ancient times. 

24 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Not to doubt you at all - I just wonder how many folks realize that there are several species of all black caterpillars that are pretty tough to discern from the Wooly Worm (Bear) and there is even an all white variant of the true WB. 

Can't we just ask Phil or find the Persimmon Lady? Maybe we can dump some scarabs into a jar lid and watch them scurry around - like they did in ancient times. 

I haven't noticed anything with the acorns but it seems like there's a lot of walnuts 

• THUMBS UP 1

38 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I haven't noticed anything with the acorns but it seems like there's a lot of walnuts 

The acorn mast is damn near everywhere I go lately - seems to be unusually heavy compared to most recent years, and even other "bumper" years for acorns.