Winter 2024-2025 | Discussion and Outlooks

7 hours ago, Grace said:

Euro & CanSips both sucky updates

I think I heard the CFS was better but still a bit warm. I honestly don’t think we are going to be able to escape a warmer than avg winter in the east. Too much working against us. Only thing that might be wrong is the LR models might be over estimating the extent of the Niña.

• LIKE 1

Just saw the new NMME model outlook for winter and it looks bad lol. Very warm for the east. Kind of has the look of a strong southern jet south east ridge from what I can see. Have to wonder if last winter might end up looking more wintery than this coming winter at this point.

• YUCK 1

On 9/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, SNOWBOB11 said:

Just saw the new NMME model outlook for winter and it looks bad lol. Very warm for the east. Kind of has the look of a strong southern jet south east ridge from what I can see. Have to wonder if last winter might end up looking more wintery than this coming winter at this point.

Are we cancelling winter already? 

The completely unscientific thoughts I have at this point - as weak a tea as one might dare serve, has me looking for HLB set ups. 

To what extent these impact the entire East, is impossible to discern - yet from that I lean towards more access to cold (cold-ish) Canadian air to make it to the mid lats. If we can keep the pineapple express/ EA Jet extension, to a minimum, things might just work out for the cold and snow freaks* among you. 

(*said with affection) 

30 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The completely unscientific thoughts I have at this point - as weak a tea as one might dare serve, has me looking for HLB set ups. 

To what extent these impact the entire East, is impossible to discern - yet from that I lean towards more access to cold (cold-ish) Canadian air to make it to the mid lats. If we can keep the pineapple express/ EA Jet extension, to a minimum, things might just work out for the cold and snow freaks* among you. 

(*said with affection) 

My unscientific opinion is that if every slam dunk blockbuster winter fails for reasons, then the slam dunk dud winters should be extremely non duds for reasons as well. Let's see lol. 

10 hours ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

Nah, but the LR models aren’t looking great at this point. It’s early so lots of time for things to change.

I take that as a good sign. Every time they have looked good it seems winter has sucked. 😆 

• LIKE 2

On 9/13/2024 at 8:09 AM, Hiramite said:

With the current prognostication for a Weak Nina, some "old" snowfall data for such an event.  Hopefully it stays weak.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/what-about-snow-during-la-niña-winters

image.png.0b21954be200e18749428ebcdf010032.png

Shows central ohio at or near normal-that would actually be a great winter compared to the last few being well under normal.

• THUMBS UP 1

Did anyone see Henry Margusity winter forecast? I got a email with it and he’s going for cold and snowy for the lakes and parts of the Midwest, NE. Ohio is a 50/50 call. Overall I’d take it for my area.

• LIKE 1