March 22-24, 2024 | NE /NY Winter Storm

Penn State

it seems Saratoga/ Gloversville and points north are getting the most snow. But warnings are up for most of the Capital District. Ice is our concern and of course power outages are possible.

Edited by chaser915

A 1:30 update in the BTV forecast discussion.  They mention widespread totals of 16" to 24" in central and southern VT.

As of 130 PM EDT Saturday...A few notes as of early afternoon.
Opted to can Winter Wx Advsy for SLV as snowfall has ended
there. No additional impacts expected in that area. Elsewhere,
have massaged snow totals through early evening to account for
current heavy banded snowfall across central/south central VT.
Here, widespread totals of 16 to 24 inches are expected. Further
northward, did opt to tighten snowfall gradient on the northern
slopes of the Dacks into far northwest VT. Snow growth zone
remains a narrow one of only a few thousand feet thick around
600 mb in this area. As such, some dry air entrainment and
sublimation aloft has led to the snow being very fine in nature
with lack of bigger dendrites. Given these trends, the area from
the Intl Border south to BTV will lie in a gradient zone of
snowfall, with more on the line of 5-8 inches north and 8-12
inches south. Models remain consistent showing snow ending in
the Dacks from 5 to 7 pm, the Champlain Valley by 7-8 pm, and
eastern VT by 9-10 pm or so, and have made some minor noise-
level adjustments to hourly PoPs reflecting this idea. Have a
great rest of your day!

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, TheRex said:

On the storm reports page, there is a report of 11 1/2" of snow at 10 am for Danby.  But it also reports that sleet is mixing in with the snow.  I bet your higher elevation will really help you avoid the freezing rain.

Thanks Rex....just emailed my plow guy....first plow of the season. Think the March storm was my only plow last winter too....

• WOW 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

I checked Binghamton’s hourly precipitation count overnight and got excited because it was quite high: in fact, over a fifth of an inch fell in one hour overnight. I then realized that the bulk of the precipitation was rain or ZR. I wouldn’t have been happy if I were still in Binghamton, having narrowly missed out on an impressive amount of snow.  They did break the daily precipitation record from this date in 1968 ( about three quarters of an inch) with one inch plus and counting. They are approaching the wettest- to- date cumulative total for March, and with two more storms headed their way, the 2008 March precipitation record could be within reach.

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.0492be07afd1ae47507793015c402187.png

pressure falling at 5mb per 2hrs. 

I think when the purple are jammed together like this there's a lot of frontogenisis.

image.thumb.png.816bc8e16de4e4d1ade3e49e6527effa.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • THUMBS UP 1

Its amazing there is a winter component to this storm, so much qpf/moisture associated with it that I wouldn't be surprised to hear of somewhere getting 40" in northern Maine. It rained here hard for 18 hours nonstop, flooding everywhere. 

• SHOCKED 1
  • SAD 2

Rain is pretty much over, I hope. 3.5” today with most of that in a good band that came through around6-7pm. Lots of small branches scattered about the ground and the robins were going kind of nuts with the worm hunting they were doing. Ground puddles and spotty flooding all about.

Screenshot2024-03-23at7_49_35PM.thumb.png.f61ed0962f928f4faee8fce57f0425ef.png

• LIKE 3

We are done here.  Just got done snowblowing the driveway for the second time today.  For now, I'm going with 10" of snowfall from my measurements but will check out local reports tomorrow to see if that looks correct.  I'm seeing 20+ inch reports in central VT.  We were lucky and only saw snow flakes all day.  Currently at 20F with a wind from the north that started about an hour ago to make clearing the driveway much more fun.

• LIKE 4

2 minutes ago, Wayuphere said:

We’ve been riding this line for a while. Someone just to my NW should have some nice snow totals.

IMG_4759.png

Maybe the snow will work its way back into your area soon.  Looks  like a lot of heavy stuff is headed your way.