March 22-24, 2024 | NE /NY Winter Storm

Penn State

Winter Storm Watch just posted for my area. 

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH LATESATURDAY NIGHT... 

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of greater than 7 inches possible, especially over the higher terrain and in northeastern Vermont. 

* WHERE...Portions of northern New York and central, northern, and eastern Vermont, including the Northeast Kingdom. 

* WHEN...From Friday evening through late Saturday night. 

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow will overspread the region from west to east and quickly accumulate Friday night. Areas of heavy snow will continue on Saturday before winding down Saturday night. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation. &&

IMG_0423.png

Edited by ZLearned
  • LIKE 3
  • SNOWMAN 2

• Admin

Riding the line here.  GYX issued a Winter Storm Watch, but admitted that some of the area on the Southern edge might not need it. 

Ukie and RGEM appear coldest.

sn10_024h-imp.us_ne.thumb.png.03756d9ad0ff17f66820bfc506d8b335.png

• LIKE 1

• The title was changed to March 22-24, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm
19 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

12z NAM and RGEM are not seeing eye-to-eye imby....

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.35.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.36.07 AM.png

That's the difference of needing to use the snowblower or just needing to a quick shoveling.  BTV's snowfall map say you need to break out the snowblower though.

2 minutes ago, TLChip said:

March Dec Thru March… the constant reminder I live too far south. Good luck to VT/NH/ME, looks like a solid hit! 

there, fixed it.  

• LAUGH 4

I get jealous @TLChip in the second half of spring when it can still get rather chilly here and I see how much warmer it is about 250 miles south of here.  Being cold on Memorial Day weekend isn't fun.

Edited by TheRex
  • LIKE 3

BTV increased the numbers in the north and showing my first possible double digit snowstorm of the year.  However, the 18Zs coming in look to a bit south of the 12Zs.

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

BTV's high end snowfall map is pretty insane. I'll take a 10% chance of this happening.  Beats rain.

SnowAmt90Prcntl.jpg

• LIKE 3

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TheRex said:

BTV increased the numbers in the north and showing my first possible double digit snowstorm of the year.  However, the 18Zs coming in look to a bit south of the 12Zs.

18z NAM took a big step south with the rain/snow line (during bulk of precip)...more in line with guidance. I'm straddling that line....unless Canadian is right and I've got my first plowable event of the year and @jbrumberg is straddling that line (much more southern solution).

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 5.18.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 5.19.10 PM.png

Edited by telejunkie
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Needless to say....I think a broad 12-24" jackpot zone is in offing. Have we had one of those storms yet this year? My memory seems a little cloudy at 11:15....

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 2

59 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

@TheRex looks like 0z NAM going full 💣-mode up your way up through @Mainiac ....

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.07.23 PM.png

I guess I may crank the snowblower to make sure it still works after it sitting around not being used all winter. Last weekend my son wanted to put the snow shovels away in the barn but I told him that's a sure fire way to get the biggest storm of the year. 

• LIKE 3
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1