March 12-16, 2024 | Severe Weather/Tornado Outbreak

• Admin
3 hours ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

Yes, that was me.  I live about 1.5 miles to the west of where those lines all fell.  If you watch my video of the tornado, I shot it as it approached just to the west (about a mile) of where it took down those lines.

Fortunately, they cleared most of the power lines tonight and opened up several roads that were blocked off today. The power and cleanup crews have done a hell of a job.  

1) I hope everyone around is OK

2) Great footage 

3) It looks like you are very close to those lines (granted I could be wrong). However, if you were, geese thats playing the dice. Those transmission lines are 375k+ volts and they are unforgiving. If there is any chance they are energized, the electric arc itself can jump like lighting up to 35 feet and can actually energize the ground up to 100 feet away (some estimates are as much as 150 feet). Also keep in mind that in a disaster zone, guard rails can be energized miles away from where a downed transmission line is. I was shocked (nearly literally ha) when I found that out. 

4) I have the utmost respect for linemen

• LIKE 2

11 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

2) Great footage 

3) It looks like you are very close to those lines (granted I could be wrong). However, if you were, geese thats playing the dice. Those transmission lines are 375k+ volts and they are unforgiving. If there is any chance they are energized, the electric arc itself can jump like lighting up to 35 feet and can actually energize the ground up to 100 feet away (some estimates are as much as 150 feet). Also keep in mind that in a disaster zone, guard rails can be energized miles away from where a downed transmission line is. I was shocked (nearly literally ha) when I found that out. 

Wow, I had no idea guard rails could be energized that far away, Good to know 🤯

Here’s a picture and video I captured looking north toward the cell that produced the Delaware County tornado. I was about 3 miles south at the time. I enhanced it a bit to make it more visible. The video was taken at 902 pm. The tornado had either just touched down or was about to within 2 minutes. I am about 3 miles from the beginning of the damage path. 

IMG_8988.jpeg

• SHOCKED 3
  • LOVE 1

17 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I really hope this is not a sign of a bad tornado year for the OV.  Sometimes these patterns like to repeat 

This will sound like a bit of a cop out, but I expect this year, next year or both to be quite active.

• LIKE 1

20 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

2) Great footage 

Excellent point about the lines.  I took this footage the day after the storm and all power had been cut off.  In fact, some of these lines were still laying against houses at that time. They eventually removed these lines from the roads yesterday and opened things back up.

The cleanup effort has been phenomenal. 

• LIKE 1

6 hours ago, OSUdoc said:

Here’s a picture and video I captured looking north toward the cell that produced the Delaware County tornado. I was about 3 miles south at the time. I enhanced it a bit to make it more visible. The video was taken at 902 pm. The tornado had either just touched down or was about to within 2 minutes. I am about 3 miles from the beginning of the damage path. 

IMG_8988.jpeg

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!