Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

21 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

will enjoy the sun this week because once we go back in to the disgusting 40s-50s....it will be loooonnnngggg gone and back to the dreary depressingness that comes with above average temps in winter

image.thumb.png.5b91428e1ca84ff46eb59f042a4df8e0.png

You make a good point here.  It is on the coldest days where it is sunny like yesterday. 

55 minutes ago, Al_Czervik said:

You make a good point here.  It is on the coldest days where it is sunny like yesterday. 

I’ve noticed this over the last several years. A mild winter tends to be much more gray than a cold one. When I think about some of our best cold winters in recent years you have what seems like an endless supply of Canadian high pressure systems bearing down on the eastern US. The cloudiness is transient. A mild winter with highs like those rarely making an appearance is leads to endless gray. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

4 hours ago, MaineJay said:

End of January was pretty fun for me, although one storm was all arduous task moving snow.  I got a little more than this bordering town, and a 20-24" pack here.

We almost got +10°F and nearly double the snow.  Interestingly, the final 3.7" here was 25:1 ratios at fairly mild temps.

Screenshot_20230201-062333.thumb.png.cfb145cf9977aaf7f292e73e268647a4.png

Definitely better than the last 2 winters, though we are still lagging a little in snowfall for the season.  Probably 3-4" of liquid in there.

PXL_20230131_121741007.thumb.jpg.ad3dcc3ff5f343848ece252a6a258d58.jpg

It’s was a sluggish first half of winter in Southern Ontario too. After the last few snow systems we’ve got a decent base now as well. We’ll see if February can continue with the end of Januarys better winter period.

E55A6F40-E5AA-44FE-A8AB-2D21D603E165.jpeg

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
7 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Wow, never thought I'd throw the towel on Feb 1st but damnnnnnnn

I'm always grateful my dad let me watch Monty Python as a little kid.  My go to song for as long as I can remember.

• LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 2

35 minutes ago, Al_Czervik said:

Look like we moderate for the remainder of Feb.  I am guessing those north of I-80 will get revenge winter in March.

March is the most reliable winter month over the past 15 years, followed closely by April. 

Seems to be a little hope on the horizon near the end of the GEFS/GEPS runs for the Ohio Valley/GLs

Makes sense...

Had a window of winter during the latter half of December...then a January thaw

Had a window of winter during the latter part of January/early Feb...and now we'll be heading into a thaw

If the pattern continues to repeat, I'd expect the latter half of Feb. & maybe early March to give us some winter weather...before maybe giving way to an early arrival to spring (for once)

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

7 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Seems to be a little hope on the horizon near the end of the GEFS/GEPS runs for the Ohio Valley/GLs

Makes sense...

Had a window of winter during the latter half of December...then a January thaw

Had a window of winter during the latter part of January/early Feb...and now we'll be heading into a thaw

If the pattern continues to repeat, I'd expect the latter half of Feb. & maybe early March to give us some winter weather...before maybe giving way to an early arrival to spring (for once)

I dont want Spring lol 

• Meteorologist

Well my midnight shifts are over and I'm about to tune the weather out completely for the next 2 weeks or so. I did get a chance to take a glimpse at the long range my last day of work and I'm really liking the end of February to early March period for the Plains. The first half of the month looks wet here with a -PNA setup. The High Plains can still cash in on snow during "warm" periods so I wouldn't be surprised to see a snow storm over western Kansas/Nebraska. Ensembles were pointing towards continued -PNA and a negative trending EPO during the 2nd half of the month. That on top of the ongoing SSW event we're witnessing and I think we'll see another cold snap with an active pattern like we've seen towards the end of December and January. I'm also worried about tornadoes this month for Dixie Alley. -PNA and a warm Gulf is a dangerous combo. See y'all again midway through the month.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Does anyone have the image of the SSW in the temperature graph?

This is the most up to date and includes the GFS forecast. Looks like we are rising again. 

T_10mb_6090N_2022-2023 (1).png

• THANKS 1