Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin
44 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

The west wins again with a pretty classic -ENSO -PDO and -PNA. The east will get their chance in March ...

*Generally* we do well in Nina events up here. It's not a stretch to think we start building a snowpack here over the next few weeks.

• LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, Grace said:

Still mixed signals. A lot of the differences has to do with differences in blocking around Greenland & to its NW & Alaska.

Last 3 EPS runs

eps_z500a_nhem_fh318_trend.thumb.gif.96cc6641e78b313c78abf63bd2e9c986.gif

eps_T2ma_us_fh318_trend.thumb.gif.e87d8c36ad0f1b0b16b8c969abf6cb98.gif

Last 3 GEFS runs

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_fh318_trend.thumb.gif.93528b17f22e36e9026a39b8d883bcc6.gif

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_fh318_trend.thumb.gif.6db9561a93cd5935115a8745fd2a3493.gif

Last 3 runs of GEPS

gem-ens_z500a_nhem_fh318_trend.thumb.gif.69899adf32c09c26f89aae33a10c79b7.gif

gem-ens_T2ma_us_fh318_trend.thumb.gif.0c6fad3a581bc4510f576a2779a851b5.gif

It is interesting to see the models starting to show a Greenland block trying to form. Makes sense with the ridging that tries to setup over northern Europe over the last several runs. This seems to be evolving in a similar matter as we got with the December situation slow progress through to the cooler times NAO shows up more and more over time. This go around may be a little different from our quick burst we had around Christmas this may actually have some staying power especially since we see the -EPO show up as well, even with a -PNA pattern. Now to say the cold will be centered over is probably not the way to go and honestly don't really want it to happen that way but having below average across much of the country helps us with potential cold near by with this train of system coming in. In this case we do need a little push from the SE ridge to give a little bit of fun with each system but the overall theme still seems to be as time moves on the storm track goes further SE with time, believe I had mentioned this yesterday. Not large jumps but enough to help build the snowpack, what bit there is left across the upper midwest. Will we reach average snows probably not but I dont think many will complain of a solid 6" snowfall. Of course we all chase the big systems but I can appreciate the pattern trying to show waves that have potential.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

What is the best ENSO state for cold/snowy weather in the East? It seems El Nino and La Nina are both bad, so do we want neutral all the time? 

• Meteorologist
19 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

What is the best ENSO state for cold/snowy weather in the East? It seems El Nino and La Nina are both bad, so do we want neutral all the time? 

La Nina tends to be warmer in the east with a jet further NW. El nino depending on strength tends to ok for the region weaker the better. Neutral years overall tend to be the best outside of weak Nino state. That is not to say every El Nino, La Nina, or neutral will perform the same especially in a changing climate. I mean to have a 3rd year weak to moderate Nina in status and have a super El Nino like atmospheric pattern shows we won't always will follow the same way a pattern should evolve as we expect. 

So if we transition to a neutral ENSO or El Nino/ warm state next winter we can't guarantee that things will now be cold and snowy but the option of at least snowier tends to happen more often; we will just have to wait and see. 

• LIKE 1

Look at the differences in the high latitude blocking 

12z GEFS, compared to 7 runs ago

trend-gefsens-2023011612-f342.500h_anom-mean_nh.gif.2e4e17f0f4fdb8a6e2a381c26c4c1030.gif

Hence colder. Ridge suppressed but enough to fuel weather systems. 3 layered Winter storms layered: snow, mix, freezing rain, rain & storms likely. 

trend-gefsens-2023011612-f360.sfct_anom-p105090-met_na.gif.fa128d9b0286929d1149b13deffdf28c.gif

Edited by Grace
  • LOVE 1

1 hour ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

El Nino but not a really strong. Weak Modoki El Nino is good if QBO & other things cooperate really good.

EDIT: Let me add nothing is a slam dunk for cold/snow & nothing is a slam dunk for warm. Yes there are probabilities one way or other but again 90% chance means 10% chance of opposite. Sometimes 10% wins.

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 2

2 hours ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

La nada years are best.  Too much nino = Your toast,  too much nina = You roast.

Really the EPO is what I watch.  The negative is when I cringe.

Edited by Al_Czervik
  • LIKE 1

So now Canadian is losing the blocking & GEFS picks it up. 

I'm finished posting all these run to run differences. I'm not sure I've ever seen ensemble means with so many run to run differences.

I'm guessing it's the stratosphere stuff that's messing with the models. 

• LIKE 2