Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

Gotta love the Bastardis and Cosgroves (and others) of the world.  When it finally gets colder (and of course it will - ever hear of reversion to the mean duh?) they’ll crow about how they called it all along - even though their “call” was for weeks earlier.  A bunch of phony boobs.

• LIKE 3

24 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Not sure how 10” of rain now means it was for nothing? Sure it came down too fast to not cause floods/landslides but, those out there will take any rain I would bet. 

Yes they will, and honestly it's hard to feel sorry for those who choose to live out there. Often they move out there simply for the warm weather, so they have to understand that there are drawbacks to living in any climate. Same for those who relocate to FL regarding hurricanes, etc. 

4 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

JB always "locking-in" cold. I highly doubt any locked-in pattern. The continued up & down unless MJO gets stuck & it's forcing continues to interrupt the base state after this next cool down. 

• THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Grace said:

JB always "locking-in" cold. I highly doubt any locked-in pattern. The continued up & down unless MJO gets stuck & it's forcing continues to interrupt the base state after this next cool down. 

That is the problem that he's having, it's the fickle MJO.

I'm sure that even the most seasoned forecasters have issues with their forecasting when the MJO becomes more fickle.

Looks like Phase 8 forcing to me?

JAN, La Nina Phase 8 on left. 

12z EPS 500mb on right

Screenshot_20230109-150613_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ff689d5226a803929690b0c831e2c00a.jpg

"Almost" identical look the only problem I see were those thinking being in Phase 8 meant immediate reflection on the pattern. 

Edited by Grace
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

3 minutes ago, Grace said:

12z EPS 500mb on right

Screenshot_20230109-150613_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ff689d5226a803929690b0c831e2c00a.jpg

"Almost" identical look the only problem I see were those thinking being in Phase 8 meant immediate reflection on the pattern. 

Yeah I've been watching this mean slowly roll down a hill run by run

image.thumb.png.a84fa7cafb18efcfc0578e5a047e3e9e.png

• LIKE 1

2 hours ago, Grace said:

12z EPS 500mb on right

These are the times when the average or not so good mets are weeded out from the better ones. Thanks, I enjoy your posts @Grace

Edited by TheComet
forgot to add compliment
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
11 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

the last 2 weeks, I'd say that was a success when adding in the next 10 days

14dPNormCA.png

Nice yet still a lonnggg way to go. Year over year we are still well below average in many of these locations just goes to show how dry things were last year, of note the Pac NW still really below average. I would like to see some mountain snows in the interior continue than just the the sierras before the firehose gets turned off. Feel we may revisit this again in due time as a last hurrah of the -PDO pattern. The pacific is just roaring with winds and with the jet extension it is slowly but surely changing up the SST pattern. 

12mPDeptUS.png

• LIKE 2

53 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Nice yet still a lonnggg way to go. Year over year we are still well below average in many of these locations just goes to show how dry things were last year, of note the Pac NW still really below average. I would like to see some mountain snows in the interior continue than just the the sierras before the firehose gets turned off. Feel we may revisit this again in due time as a last hurrah of the -PDO pattern. The pacific is just roaring with winds and with the jet extension it is slowly but surely changing up the SST pattern. 

12mPDeptUS.png

Yeah I'd like to see this map again In a a couple weeks, alot of deficit should be wiped out most of the state (0-4), more in N CA. gfs_apcpn_wus_40.thumb.png.57ae7c08930a994c4faed9bf8d531640.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 2

8 hours ago, Grace said:

12z EPS 500mb on right

I'm trying to figure out why in all the years on weather forums I've never heard this discussed...or maybe I missed it. After seeing it in all the MJO research I've recently done, I had no idea that there is peer-reviewed literature that actually supports this. 

"A model MJO cycle was constructed from the global response to the heating, and both the tropical and extratropical circulation anomalies generally matched the observations well. The equatorial wave patterns are established in a few days, while it takes approximately two weeks for the extratropical patterns to appear."

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1256/qj.02.123?casa_token=AI8CTgn9gfcAAAAA:qtnWT60kmjfLg_okBvyGc9Gc8DbRubX9FSNPMlngRNI4W5RM2iySXqv1TiYuLctFf4fZRxffQtP73Bk

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Grace said:

I'm trying to figure out why a the years on weather forums I've never heard this discussed. After seeing it in all the MJO research I've done, I had no idea that there is peer-reviewed literature that actually supports this. 

"A model MJO cycle was constructed from the global response to the heating, and both the tropical and extratropical circulation anomalies generally matched the observations well. The equatorial wave patterns are established in a few days, while it takes approximately two weeks for the extratropical patterns to appear."

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1256/qj.02.123?casa_token=AI8CTgn9gfcAAAAA:qtnWT60kmjfLg_okBvyGc9Gc8DbRubX9FSNPMlngRNI4W5RM2iySXqv1TiYuLctFf4fZRxffQtP73Bk

Oh yea this is an actual thing. I mention it from time to time but I use 1-2 weeks in general depending on the speed of the wave and amplitude of the wave. Higher amplitude better impact result from it, faster/slower basically how quickly we transition in the pattern.

Would also like to note since we have had some cooling take place in 3/4/5 region of the tropics we may not be circling back through those as easily. 7/8 has also warmed as well as 1 over the last 30 days. Could lead to a fun repeat pattern since we seem to be in a loop with each MJO wave for now until the Nina fully dies.

ssta_animation_30day_large.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

6 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

Oh yea this is an actual thing. I mention it from time to time but I use 1-2 weeks in general depending on the speed of the wave and amplitude of the wave. Higher amplitude better impact result from it, faster/slower basically how quickly we transition in the pattern.

Would also like to note since we have had some cooling take place in 3/4/5 region of the tropics we may not be circling back through those as easily. 7/8 has also warmed as well as 1 over the last 30 days. Could lead to a fun repeat pattern since we seem to be in a loop with each MJO wave for now until the Nina fully dies.

ssta_animation_30day_large.gif

I can be a little slow to the party sometimes, lol. 

I hope you're correct on repeat.