Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

LOL - 991 LP in eastern Kentucky produces rain all the way to northern Michigan 🤣

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_54.png

At least it’s good to see some storm activity. Low placement would probably produce more snow on the NW side than the LR GFS currently is showing.

• LIKE 1

15 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

At least it’s good to see some storm activity. Low placement would probably produce more snow on the NW side than the LR GFS currently is showing.

No doubt - though it would be sick irony to get a decent storm track at the end of this long torch only for it to produce a cold rain

• LAUGH 1
  • MELTING 1

46 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

No doubt - though it would be sick irony to get a decent storm track at the end of this long torch only for it to produce a cold rain

Not sure i'd even call it irony. I've lost track how many times something like that has happened.

• THUMBS UP 2

4 hours ago, RobB said:

That's just brutal. If we lose January then most likely this winter will done for given the mjo progression into the warmer phases by February. Will probably hit the colder phases towards the end of February into March at which time we will be ready for spring lol

• THUMBS DOWN 1

18 hours ago, Cary67 said:

This is decidedly one of the few benefits this winter. Fill up those reservoirs out west. Would have to check precip totals so far but the forecast for AN precip this winter in the Lakes and OV doesn't seem to be panning out. Just had some good totals at ORD yesterday but winter really just mild and blah except for Xmas cold snap. And that was a major let down in models portraying a big storm only to see it disappear.

62 people died from that storm ... It would have been much worse, but then the storm disappeared?!?! 🤔

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

January 2021 featured a SSW, and it's effects were not felt until the next month. (February 2021)

There's still no SSW progged. Some members show a reversal in early February, but we can't call every bit of warming in the Strat a SSW.

ps2png-worker-commands-5d9fc45c7d-7zwgs-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-g2LSCO.png.8ecb23a8cc7c1b8a5233fc7929f72eb9.png

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Outside of the storm chance next week this winter is over. I'm actually getting concerned about an early active start to the severe weather season ⛈️

I’d say the first half of winter is basically going to be a dud but considering the second half is still 10 days away from starting and models really have a difficult time after day 10 then there’s no reason to write off the second half.

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

I’d say the first half of winter is basically going to be a dud but considering the second half is still 10 days away from starting and models really have a difficult time after day 10 then there’s no reason to write off the second half.

If are torching in the cold phases it's over

Giving up on winter in the first week of January is like saying because you fell behind two touchdowns by halftime the game is over. It's been proven wrong over and over yet here you are. I'm glad none of you were on my sports teams growing up. 

4 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Giving up on winter in the first week of January is like saying because you fell behind two touchdowns by halftime the game is over. It's been proven wrong over and over yet here you are. I'm glad none of you were on my sports teams growing up. 

The first half of the football game does not matter compared to the 2nd half, this strongly applies to the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

(Not going after you, just solidifying your statement)

Edited by Iceresistance
clarification

12 minutes ago, Mulaman984 said:

It’s January 5th. 

I see that but nothing is in our favor right now. Lol. That Pacific jet is on steroids flooding the country with mild air and overriding favorable mjo. I would love to be wrong though 😁image.thumb.png.0b399dffd0628e52ff9e633709c80b32.png

Edited by StormfanaticInd

4 minutes ago, 1816 said:

We're down by 2 touchdowns at halftime and our star QB, running back, and the entire defense just left with ACL tears. That's about where we are right now. 

7 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I see that but nothing is in our favor right now. Lol. That Pacific jet is on steroids flooding the country with mild air and overriding favorable mjo. I would love to be wrong though 😁

Yeah, this long range modeling is always so accurate 2 weeks or more out. No reason to doubt any of it. 

🙄

7 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

We're down by 2 touchdowns at halftime and our star QB, running back, and the entire defense just left with ACL tears. That's about where we are right now. 

Yeah, this long range modeling is always so accurate 2 weeks or more out. No reason to doubt any of it. 

🙄

9 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

The first half of the football game does not matter compared to the 2nd half, this strongly applies to the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

(Not going after you, just solidifying your statement)

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers both endorse your comment. 

• LAUGH 1