Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin
On 12/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, RobB said:

12/28 0Z NAEFS:

image.thumb.png.997d4100661250a304c0df8a4fa0a821.png

This image is for the 1/5-12 time frame. Looks like it may barely verify up here.  Technically, it may be a hair above normal. I suspect it's driven by elevated minimum temperatures, as little-no snow on the ground won't let nights drop as efficiently as otherwise possible this time of year. 

Screenshot_20230101-080643.thumb.png.23d76cf0c960d0915efcdfc290a67f5e.png

To be sure, there is a very warm day expected on the 4th, but looks fairly normal, with some lower probability snow chances following it.  

Just taking advantage of what I can in this warmer weather.  Maybe the worst part of the warmth is the partially thawed ground, the dogs just track everything in the house.  Hopefully the wind dry things out a little today.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

11 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

This image is for the 1/5-12 time frame. Looks like it may barely verify up here.  Technically, it may be a hair above normal. I suspect it's driven by elevated minimum temperatures, as little-no snow on the ground won't let nights drop as efficiently as otherwise possible this time of year. 

Screenshot_20230101-080643.thumb.png.23d76cf0c960d0915efcdfc290a67f5e.png

To be sure, there is a very warm day expected on the 4th, but looks fairly normal, with some lower probability snow chances following it.  

Just taking advantage of what I can in this warmer weather.  Maybe the worst part of the warmth is the partially thawed ground, the dogs just track everything in the house.  Hopefully the wind dry things out a little today.

Good points.  Higher than average low temps is often overlooked with these things.....

Yeah, muddy grounds to be tracked in by dogs can be a pain!

Happy New Year!

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Indications that the EPO at least goes neutral to possibly negative should allow winter to return.

Alta, UT...with no end in sight for Pacific storm train, it's gonna be a big year. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.56 AM.png

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 3
  • WOW 2

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Grace said:

If this is true this screams a winter storm in that time frame for someone in OV, possibly TN Valley to Mid-Atlantic & lower NE. Screenshot_20230101-173718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e666e356d0665283cf71373c95305b18.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-173822_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e1864181970631933dba6ec1521249a7.jpg

Like I said...if...if...the EPS is correct. 

That kinda reminds me of a double barrel low pattern. Low goes into just west of the apps (eastern TN/eastern KY) but can't advance north and pops a low off the virginia coastal region. I wouldn't be surprised.

Some models have been hinting at such an idea. Just need a solid s/w through the SW when we do get this pattern setup. should be 2nd week of January?

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1

• Social Media Crew
10 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

That kinda reminds me of a double barrel low pattern. Low goes into just west of the apps (eastern TN/eastern KY) but can't advance north and pops a low off the virginia coastal region. I wouldn't be surprised.

Some models have been hinting at such an idea. Just need a solid s/w through the SW when we do get this pattern setup. should be 2nd week of January?

EPS has that look

floop-epsens-2023010112.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.gif.23c26fd5d2eb0d4c5d1505a6c81f545d.gif

2 hours ago, Wally Ho said:

So Bastardi, Judah and “The Wizard of Coz” Cosgrove are all on the screamin’ cold bandwagon.  What’s not to like, lads? 😂

Sounds good to me! I will take it! Keep this same energy for the warm posts, right????

• LAUGH 1

Do not be discouraged! Winter is not over yet! The only thing that really kills any chances of cold winters is a ++AO. Nothing of that sort with a -AO dominant winter this year. What is warming us is the +EPO and +PNA. 

Edited by Iceresistance
  • LOVE 1

Really not a lot has made much since this winter. Right now we are in a Super El Nino type pattern for the next couple of weeks which is crazy. The good part is that it's giving a lot of places much needed rain out west & in plains. It really is rare to see this type of pattern in a La Nina.

LR models are strange right now in that CFS has the most robust MJO wave going through 7,8,1,2 but the H5 being modeled shows zero reflection of that. Models are going to get chaotic again for a couple of weeks. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

9 hours ago, Grace said:

Really not a lot has made much since this winter. Right now we are in a Super El Nino type pattern for the next couple of weeks which is crazy. The good part is that it's giving a lot of places much needed rain out west & in plains. It really is rare to see this type of pattern in a La Nina.

LR models are strange right now in that CFS has the most robust MJO wave going through 7,8,1,2 but the H5 being modeled shows zero reflection of that. Models are going to get chaotic again for a couple of weeks. 

It makes perfect sense. No matter what, warmth reigns. We might get short bursts of winter weather, but warmth will always bounce back quickly and take hold for long periods of time.