Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Meteorologist
On 12/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, so_whats_happening said:

It looks like Sunday will be the warmest coming up here this week may push mid 50's if the rain doesn't overshadow it. The next time period looks like 4-6th where we may push low 60's but this weekend coming up was supposed to be low 60's and we are already taming that down. Ill take the few warm days and run. LR starting to show signs of an Aleutian low setting up which drives a western ridge have to see as we move toward the end of the first week of January. May also have to watch for a sneaky system just after the 6th for the east.

To update this it looks like things are getting muddied up a bit over this way. Tomorrow may be our warmest day coming up here 56? Saturday has the potential but with rain around we wetbulb lower than that but still mild. Sunday doesn't have as much downsloping that occurs as originally thought.

For the 4-6th period we seem to only have one day showing up as warm while we get a nice push of high pressure to come in for the end of the 5th into 6th. Again fairly marginal air no major cold blast but enough that trailing energy may be able to give a minor snowfall if it can setup right. Doesn't look like a big system but if one can form maybe 1-3" storm type of deal in interior?

Lets see what happens.

Both Euro Weeklies & CFS MJO forecasts take us 7,8,1 in JAN. Both are out of COD but not particularly strong. Let's see if there's any influence. I would think that along with strong strat Aleutian PAC system might produce bouts of -EPO or +PNA or a combo...especially if there's any coupling with the troposphere. We'll see. Models do not reflect it though as of yet. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 1

Don’t know where to put this but my windchill hit -31 last Saturday afternoon which is one of our coldest on record, and today we just buried our record high of 61 and it’s 2pm 64 outside imby. My heat is off and my windows are open. Just a 93 degree difference in 6 days absolutely wild extremes to see to me never in my life have I seen the swings like this I mean that’s like saying it’s 0 out last saturday and I’m laying by the pool tanning and it’s 93 this friday 🤯

3F3BDCA2-F0BE-4510-A77A-5BE9BD76C35A.jpeg

Edited by Hassaywx1223
  • SHOCKED 1
  • FLUSHED 1
  • FIRE 1
  • LOVE 1

telliconnections don't look awful coming up, nothing special, but nothing back breaking. That sort of matches up with the ensembles "meh" outlook of slightly above average temps (around the OV) after this mega torch. You could probably get lucky in this upcoming pattern, but the snow isn't going to stick around long if we are still stuck in this rut we've been in since November

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • THUMBS UP 2

2 hours ago, SOMOSnow said:

When our pal RobB starts posting NAEFS each Winter it always torches. Never fails. I could do without these maps. I've seen this happen for a decade. 🤣

I see these orange and red monstrosities in my nightmares.

• Social Media Crew
23 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

telliconnections don't look awful coming up, nothing special, but nothing back breaking. That sort of matches up with the ensembles "meh" outlook of slightly above average temps (around the OV) after this mega torch. You could probably get lucky in this upcoming pattern, but the snow isn't going to stick around long if we are still stuck in this rut we've been in since November

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Off topic.. but I’ve been looking at a subscription to weathermodels.com. Is it worth it? 

12 minutes ago, Penn State said:

Off topic.. but I’ve been looking at a subscription to weathermodels.com. Is it worth it? 

I've gotten it for several years now, I used to do Weatherbell and switched. The "model lab" has everything you could think of, but most people don't explore the "model lab" page, you could spend hours looking at features in there, it could be organized better, but once you spend some time in there, 👍 

• LIKE 3
  • THANKS 1

• Social Media Crew
28 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

The calm before the storm. We me prepare for "The Big One"! This is it!

I’m still positive on that 16th-20th timeframe. Obviously can’t see it on the models yet.. but, I think that’s where the next best potential lies. Also..

Happy New Year’s Eve everyone! May our 2023 be filled with health, happiness, and snowstorms ️ 

• LIKE 2