Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

29 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

I feel like this is going to be a remarkable night for the models, or at least a couple. Let's see what happens..... 0z GFS, Canadian and Euro on deck. Gut feeling GFS (for one) is gonna do something wild. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Last Night was insane.

• LOVE 1

While we are waiting: One of the local meteorologists I talk with is still not a fan of 6z and 18z data. I know in recent years those runs have been improved, but I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of our forum Mets such as @Ingyball and others on this topic. Thanks in advance for the thoughts via our mets or anyone else who has a take on this topic. 

Edited by SOMOSnow

• Meteorologist
13 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

While we are waiting: One of the local meteorologists I talk with is still not a fan of 6z and 18z data. I know in recent years those runs have been improved, but I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of our forum Mets such as @Ingyball and others on this topic. Thanks in advance for the thoughts via our mets or anyone else who has a take on this topic. 

It used to be a legitimate concern and it's still something I have to tell our older mets at the office that it's different now. I can't remember if it was the FV3 upgrade or the one before that but it's all the same data now. There's a lot more run to run consistency now outside of highly variable patterns like we're seeing now. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

3 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

It used to be a legitimate concern and it's still something I have to tell our older mets at the office that it's different now. I can't remember if it was the FV3 upgrade or the one before that but it's all the same data now. There's a lot more run to run consistency now outside of highly variable patterns like we're seeing now. 

Thank you. He's a longtime met and that may explain it. 

39 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

I still think 06/18z runs result in more noise than signal. 

It's not possible to calibrate a model to initialize just as well with and without upper air observations. Yet we still try.

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

I still think 06/18z runs really in more noise than signal. 

It's not possible to calibrate a model to initialize just as well with and without upper air observations. Yet we still try.

There's definitely a difference when you get a new model run, the radiosonde data is invaluable. However, when you're comparing it to previous runs it's still assimilated additional data since then. Before 2015 there was definitely a lot less skill with the 6z/18z runs, but not enough to make them worthless. I found a PowerPoint from 2015 made by someone at NCEP that took a look at verification. There were a couple of interesting quotes.

"Annually averaged, forecast scores of the later 06Z (18Z) cycle are significantly better than that of the 6-hour earlier 00Z (12Z) cycle for forecast up to 6 (7) days, if both are validated at the same verification time."

"Even though the 06Z and 18Z cycles are less skillful, when validated at the same verification time the later 06Z (18Z) cycle does show consistently better forecast skills than the earlier 00Z (12Z) cycle for short to medium-range forecasts."

Again this is pretty old, I believe that gap has closed some as well but even before that the 6z and 18z runs were worth looking at. 

GFS4cycle_2015_NWP_Chicago_15A.pdf

• LIKE 1

4 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Okay, that is an extremely long post. 

Not intentional. I constantly have trouble with quoting posts or stuff I post spacing like crazy and then having trouble fixing it. Super annoying bur don't know where to get help. Sorry. 

1 minute ago, SOMOSnow said:

Not intentional. I constantly have trouble with quoting posts or stuff I post spacing like crazy and then having trouble fixing it. Super annoying bur don't know where to get help. Sorry. 

I can't blame you if that shows up, it could be a formatting error or something. 

• LIKE 1

I woke up to use the bathroom and this is insane!!!! I’d say about 75%+ of the United States wakes up below freezing Christmas Day anywhere north of about the Ohio river basin doesn’t get out of the single digits Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. And most people from Minnesota east get a clipper like system to make it a white Christmas on top of it with 2-4 of snow GFS is off the wall right now! Oh and a 1060 high pressure still exists out west 

gfs_T2m_us_fh222-276.gif