Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Meteorologist
59 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Alright, I need to figure out how to lock in that 6z GFS run. 

sn10_acc.us_c-13.png.2980c90c2ad472e4faa7b2102a60fd2a.png

snku_acc.us_c-52.png.9a7851604ffbd06314cc558a24f56825.png

I do pay the price for that much snow this run though, but I'm okay with extreme cold if there is good snow on the ground.

sfct.us_c.png.233dab903d734ace84dfd173706d852a.png

sfct.us_c-1.png.7015409b09e15eeb4afe833c341fc177.png

Hah! I'm hoping we can have any snow cover after this week's system before the Arctic arrives in the Plains. Neither me nor my dog will be super excited about sub zero high temperatures. Plus the UA launches will become a pain 😞

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, MidwestWX said:

Hah! I'm hoping we can have any snow cover after this week's system before the Arctic arrives in the Plains. Neither me nor my dog will be super excited about sub zero high temperatures. Plus the UA launches will become a pain 😞

One of the few reasons why I'm glad we don't do UA here, but the downside is we get none of that data so overall it's a negative. 

• LOVE 1

So I feel like we’re starting to see the true nature of the upcoming arctic air and realize how it’ll be a dry airmass with one or two snow chances thrown in(yes, it only take one to make it worthwhile). But we’ve been banging the “make it cold” drum for too long and we’re too far in to change our minds for fear of looking silly.

I like the cold AND snow. Not cold and dry. And I like cold and dry but not warm and wet. Ugh, it’s a hard path to tread lol

7 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

That big storm is still there on the 12z GFS but further east this go around. Big snow for Illinois and Indiana.

I'm really not sure what to think, I mean, there is no way the GFS is remotely in the ballpark on this 12z run, right. It's a singular OP run, past 7 days, I know, so immediately have your wariness levels up, but then I mentioned last night that 1064mb is the highest high pressure ever recorded in the contiguous US. The GFS says...welp...forget about that. The Euro has that high sitting at 1057-1059. I won't dive into individual ensemble members, but I think it's pretty obvious that the cold absolute means business, but also it has a chance to potentially be historic, and you don't get to say that all that often. Will the models back down over the course of the next week, I'd have to imagine that they will somewhat, but when you see something on a map you never expect to see, it really makes you sit up. 

image.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1

16 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

Lets see how much we can take off this. Surely Ohio Valley and Mid Atlantic should reverse, maybe up to about Boston. I really hope the cold is what you guys wanted because im sure we will start hearing about how everything is suppressed so far south.

MonthTDeptUS.png

I was going to say this, because we’re all thinking it in the back of our minds. Suppression means Texas and Oklahoma will get more snow than most of us. 

• LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

It's not just that, the models are way too warm as well.

Maybe slightly, but not a ton. 12z in the Butte, Montana region is -40 to -45 degrees. At 9z, I found a few -47's. The all-time record is -52 and high pressure does not translate 1 to 1 to temperature. 1983, you were one crazy winter. https://buttearchives.org/coldest-day-in-butte/#:~:text=On December 23%2C 1983%2C Butte,colder than elsewhere in town.

• LIKE 1

Just now, Iceresistance said:

The western half of the Nation is BELOW ZERO!

I know! -21 in Reno NV, while everyone east of the Mississippi gets torched. Really hope it's an outlier!