Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

This kind of cold will make for a very crappy holiday season for my family. They own a plumbing and heating business and will have to work in the cold. I remember the 1983 Christmas cold. I had the stomach flu and only saw my dad for a few hours all Christmas and Christmas Eve. I think our daytime highs was only zero or a little below. 

Edited by beaver56
  • SAD 1

47 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Nope, I'd like a least a short period of normal temperatures and above normal precipitation. 

Agreed. Keep the temps close enough to 32 with a nice cold column to keep it all snow. No one really wants below zero temperatures with no precipitation.

• THUMBS UP 5
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist

Lets see how much we can take off this. Surely Ohio Valley and Mid Atlantic should reverse, maybe up to about Boston. I really hope the cold is what you guys wanted because im sure we will start hearing about how everything is suppressed so far south.

MonthTDeptUS.png

This big northern plains storm this week is a game changer for the upcoming cold wave. Sets up nearly continuous deep snow cover north of 41°N latitude. Yep, it's gonna get chilly and the cold near the shortest days of the year adds a bit of extra oomph too.  Gotta have snow cover for truly cold temps though.  645412422_Screenshot2022-12-1213_51_22.png.e5dbc0a62c7be84a028981f82b807dde.png

• WOW 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
18 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Lets see how much we can take off this. Surely Ohio Valley and Mid Atlantic should reverse, maybe up to about Boston. I really hope the cold is what you guys wanted because im sure we will start hearing about how everything is suppressed so far south.

MonthTDeptUS.png

We'll have a legit shot at coldest December ever here in Kansas I think.  I'm pretty confident at landing in the top 5. 

• LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, SOMOSnow said:

🚨 👇 👀 BRAND NEW Euro Weeklies are in. 46 day temp anomalies are pretty amazing. Coast to coast below normal for the period.

Screenshot_20221212_191830_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gotta see when we will have that week or so rebound in the pattern. May not be the first week of January maybe as we push into the second week? No snow and chilly not my particular cup of tea anyway.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, so_whats_happening said:

Gotta see when we will have that week or so rebound in the pattern. May not be the first week of January maybe as we push into the second week? No snow and chilly not my particular cup of tea anyway.

Hoping we all get some snow. 

The stuff the GFS is spitting out is pure gold. The record for highest high pressure in the contiguous United States is 1064 at Miles City, MT in 1983. The GFS has it that we are going to take a run at the record. At hour 240, there is a high pressure of 1062 just north of the US border to the northeast of Glacier National Park. Then, at hour 252 we have a 1060 over, you guessed it, Miles City, MT. 

image.png.8355f27a03bdce39b03786a1e35cc7a0.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 2

10 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Mm, well, actually there WAS a year, ….sheesh when was it??

It happened Super Bowl weekend. 
But the arctic cold temps started prior which was most of January. 

(I know for a fact because my neighbors had a party that year because no one would brave the sub zero temps to go very far from home. 
Had to of been around 2006-2007 before my mil passed away.
We had to keep checking on her all weekend, even during the game. It was terrible outside. sorry for thread drift lol!)

Edited by Indygirl
Added content
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Alright, I need to figure out how to lock in that 6z GFS run. 

sn10_acc.us_c-13.png.2980c90c2ad472e4faa7b2102a60fd2a.png

snku_acc.us_c-52.png.9a7851604ffbd06314cc558a24f56825.png

I do pay the price for that much snow this run though, but I'm okay with extreme cold if there is good snow on the ground.

sfct.us_c.png.233dab903d734ace84dfd173706d852a.png

sfct.us_c-1.png.7015409b09e15eeb4afe833c341fc177.png

Edited by Ingyball
  • SHOCKED 1
  • LOVE 2

14 hours ago, Psu1313 said:

Agreed. Keep the temps close enough to 32 with a nice cold column to keep it all snow. No one really wants below zero temperatures with no precipitation.

Well, I wouldn't say nobody. Cold + lack of snow = good ice making conditions