Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

31 minutes ago, Grace said:

Oh...I'm about blind I think lol. That makes sense. I wasn't sure I've ever seen a ensemble mean that cold over 6 days in the LR. Kind of glad it was OP. Kind of made me a little alarmed & perplexed.

I will take the blame. I normally post the ensembles. Sorry friend :)

Edited by SOMOSnow

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

How do you feel about WPC's Collaborative Forecast Process for QPF/SLRs? 

I will actually make a public statement. Ill be the first to admit I've been wrong. I went into it expecting to hate it but I've been pleasantly surprised by the collaboration process with WPC. They've played ball with QPF every time I've had a hunch including last Monday's WSW event. I actually prefer their SLRs for the most part as opposed to 4.0s garbage. Once 4.1 becomes the main NBM I expect it'll be more tolerable for the non-Winter obsessed forecaster... 
(Yes I know this wasn't directed at me but I randomly lurk, it's my thing 😉)

Edit: there is the question as to why it's necessary though and that's for discussion over a cold beverage and steak. 

Edited by MidwestWX
I'm a goof.
  • LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 1

Still waiting for the 6-10 day to turn before entertaining the idea of the second half of the month. It does look good the last couple runs but still cautious after getting burned what would be about 10 days ago for today's forecast

It is certainly not going to be for everyone, as I know some despise cold with dry stretches but especially this time of year ill take that over whats been an awful week this week 40s/50s with miserable dreary rain and fog and cloud and yuck. You get the cold in here and your odds of having some bright sunny days go up substantially with high pressure

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Don't like that icy look on the 0z GFS. Cold isn't nearly as extreme which I would love, but like I said before living run to run will only make you want to pull your hair out. The pattern looks to be there for the extreme cold (for the Plains especially).  Getting the snowpack will definitely be important and it will start with the storm next week in the Dakotas.  

The models did this exact thing with the February 2021 outbreak too. The cold would vary drastically run to run and sometimes disappear, but the setup was always there.

Edited by Ingyball
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

This would actually be better for longterm however, I'm not sure I buy the run. It was not the typical miss we've been having for 10 days but like something was off that led to a weird look.

Screenshot_20221207-232022_Chrome.jpg.0d03aba0b07873d6577938130e681c4f.jpg

I blame JB's ready to man beat his chest in victory. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Through day 10 there isn't much difference in the GEFS, so that's probably a good place to stop looking anyways 

The pattern is a good bit more amplified so far compared to the 18z, but trough position is fairly similar.

The run to run variability on the GFS is hilarious. I always feel when there is a change in pattern or push of cold air the ECM does a better job than the GFS. It seems to have less run to run differences. Plus right now after the upgrades on the GFS it seems like it’s even worse.

Just now, SNOWBOB11 said:

The run to run variability on the GFS is hilarious. I always feel when there is a change in pattern or push of cold air the ECM does a better job than the GFS. It seems to have less run to run differences. Plus right now after the upgrades on the GFS it seems like it’s even worse.

Last 3 runs of Euro have been intoxicated. Not very consistent. And that was after 5 consecutive similar runs. 

Just now, SNOWBOB11 said:

That's because the emotional capacity of the ECM stops at 240 hours as it should lol. The extra 144 on the GFS is borderline reckless 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

The EC is often too warm in this setup, it doesn't do well in these -EPO shallow cold outbreaks. GFS usually does better both at front timing and extremity. Yes the GFS may have more variance, but in this case the EC is consistently wrong until the actual data gets ingested.